PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Triplin blames team lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall Mike Tomlin as a good NFL coach who has built a solid program, by NFL standards, in Pittsburgh. (8-8 or so in down years, and 11-5 contenders in good ones) You don't do that consistently in the current NFL if you suck as a HC. So let's start from there.

He clearly is a good leader who gets his team to play hard for him and like all decent coaches holds his teams accountable as individuals. But like most guys who aren't BB, he has some consistent flaws. Most of them come during games. His game management (at least when he plays the Pats) is often suspect. He wasted TO's, had a bad challenge, and his decision to try a 54 yd FG on a 4th and 2 at the Pats 36, behind by 11 was simply a gift to us. Remember for some reason kicking 45 yd FG's in Pittsburgh is often not a great percentage play. You'd have to think 4th and 2 with the best RB in the game and a good OL, would have given you a better shot. In that sense he's a lot like Rex. He has a lot of good HC's qualities, but you know BB will have a big advantage most of the time.

In keeping with the "I'm another spoiled pats fan" theme. I think after watching the BEST HC in NFL history and the BEST QB in NFL history for 16+ years; it's probably unfair to judge other HC's and QB's by the same standards. The only error Tomlin made in his post game rant was not including himself and his staff. But that's just my opinion from afar.

Maybe after THIS particular loss, he felt he needed to put it all on his players in order to get them on to the next game in the right frame of mind. Maybe he wanted to make the point that "we gave you a winning game plan" even without Ben and the rest. You saw that yourself, being only behind by a point at 2/3rds through the 3rd quarter. YOU didn't fully execute it. No injury excuses. We didn't win because you didn't make the plays when they were there. Do what we say, and the next time you'll win" Or in other words, in BB speak, "do your job".

Sometimes there might be a calculated reason for a coach not to include themselves as the problem. Of course there IS an obvious risk that goes along with that strategy. Clearly he thinks that this is the way to go, and is the best tack to take for HIS team.

But we judge him under the banner of "what BB would do". Well what BB does is what HE thinks is best for HIS team and not what might be best for some other organization. Personally I LOVE BB's egoless approach, but that doesn't mean that on specific occasions the other way might work too.

I agree with your statement about it being unfair to judge other coaches by BB's standards, especially this year when it seems like bad coaching is rampant, and even the "good ones" (by public opinion, Tomlin, Arians, etc.) are making bad decisions on a weekly basis.

However, I don't think it's unfair to pile on Tomlin for this press conference, given his comments about headsets, his DC's comments earlier this week, Tripgate, and other Tomlin incidents. This is a pattern for him and this week is the latest example.

Belichick = Teacher

Tomlin = Dictator

Almost right. :D

Visual+aid+_7ab53e1a39b8bc8584a6409f08c47583.png

I dont like tomlin but this article seems like a reach. only BB i think says after a loss that everyone includiing himself need to do better. Different coaches do different things and handle differently. The irony is that the same boston media which dislike's BB's presser's quote it saying that tomlin doesnt use these words :)

BB is just classless by making other coaches look classless in comparison.

Where is the humanity?
What will the children think?

You'd think after a win, I'd be feeling less sarcastic :D. Nothing Tomlin said was wrong, but he should have included himself in the list of things to be improved.
Did the sarcasm not register with @EMpats and @Crazy Patriot Guy?

Sorry I back-doored this for you guys, but I wasn't calling BB classless. I was just saying he made other coaches look bad because (in this case) they didn't take the blame, but rather assigned it to the players.

Though, hopefully you took your dislikes because of something else. But, thank you for letting me know my failed attempt at sarcasm didn't work. :)

I love Mr. Noodle!

He was actually a great actor aside from his Mr. Noodle gig.

That being said, I am growing tired of Tomlin's lack of accountability for his team. Finding excuses is why I really am never concerned about the Steelers, they always seem to have their excuses more ready than their actual game plan.

Everytime I saw childress on the sidelines, I always pictured Mr Noodle.

Brad+Childress+Minnesota+Vikings+Sign+Randy+Gd6ld611lV3l.jpg
I can't help but be reminded of the guy from Evening Shade.

Everytime I saw childress on the sidelines, I always pictured Mr Noodle.

Brad+Childress+Minnesota+Vikings+Sign+Randy+Gd6ld611lV3l.jpg

latest

I had never even heard of Mr. Noodle until two summers ago. Then we drove down to Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA three different times over the last 2 summers with my now 4 year old. It was nonstop "Elmo's World" on the DVD player during the drives. I'd say 5 hours each way, but that doesn't factor in my GPS coming up with a "brilliant" traffic avoiding maneuver during the first trip of driving through downtown Newark, NJ without being aware of road construction. That was....interesting.

The point is, this makes me dislike Brad Childress even more than I currently do! ;)

I had never even heard of Mr. Noodle until two summers ago. Then we drove down to Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA three different times over the last 2 summers with my now 4 year old. It was nonstop "Elmo's World" on the DVD player during the drives. I'd say 5 hours each way, but that doesn't factor in my GPS coming up with a "brilliant" traffic avoiding maneuver during the first trip of driving through downtown Newark, NJ without being aware of road construction. That was....interesting.

The point is, this makes me dislike Brad Childress even more than I currently do! ;)

I've been in your shoes....

I dont like tomlin but this article seems like a reach.
Agreed...every coach has to say exactly what Belichick does now? He was describing his decision-making in the game and how his team performed. I agree it's great that Belichick makes a point of referencing the coaching, but I could also see the viewpoint that the coaching is inherent in discussing the team's play/failings. This is pretty thin gruel.

Tomlin is a pretty good coach. His personality can be a bit abrasive at times. He has a similar record to Bill Cowher. Both have been to 2 Superbowls, both won 1 and lost 1. Cowher had a .623 winning percentage in the regular season. Tomlin has .644. Cowher .571 in playoffs to Tomlins .545 winning percentage. Both had their struggles winning their division. Baltimore has been a worthy opponent most years.

Tomlin's comment's are similar to what you hear from other coaches in the league. Many coaches and players air their complaints through the media. That's not the Patriot way but alot of what the Patriots do is not standard practice with the rest of the league. I think it's a bit tough to hold Tomlin up to Patriots standards. Some teams and coaches do not take losing graciously. Arizona pretty much became unglued after their loss and the Bengals didn't even have to wait to the end of the game to implode. Tomlin has been and probably always will be a sore loser. Sometimes I wonder if it's a product of the division they are in. Ravens and Bengals are no better. For the Browns, losing is just the norm, nothing to really get upset about.

Bottom line, when you compare Tomlin with the rest of the league and not to the Patriots, he does a pretty good job.

I love Mr. Noodle!

He was actually a great actor aside from his Mr. Noodle gig.

That being said, I am growing tired of Tomlin's lack of accountability for his team. Finding excuses is why I really am never concerned about the Steelers, they always seem to have their excuses more ready than their actual game plan.
That's because Tomlin keeps his list of excuses handy on a Microsoft Surface tablet.

That sucked. I'm 30mins from sesame place. But kids aren't old enough yet. Will probably do this soon.

The Steelers would be a really great team if it weren't for their coach. Hopefully Tomlin stays in Pittsburgh for years to come.

Did the sarcasm not register with @EMpats and @Crazy Patriot Guy?

Sorry I back-doored this for you guys, but I wasn't calling BB classless. I was just saying he made other coaches look bad because (in this case) they didn't take the blame, but rather assigned it to the players.

Though, hopefully you took your dislikes because of something else. But, thank you for letting me know my failed attempt at sarcasm didn't work. :)

I must have hit the dislike button inadvertently when I swiped down the page. I saw the alert that I was mentioned in this thread, read your post and had no idea what I said/did. Mistake fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes