PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

trick plays in preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Anyone besides me think that trick plays in preseason are silly?

I'm referring to the Indy onsides kick to start their game and Cinci's flea flicker tonight.

Someone said (about the onsides kick) Why not? It's only preseason? Sure, but why?

If preseason is to evaluate your team and prepare for regular season, how do trick plays help? What's the benefit to having one less play to evaluate your kickoff coverage or young WRs??

spacecrime said:

I'm referring to the Indy onsides kick to start their game and Cinci's flea flicker tonight.

Someone said (about the onsides kick) Why not? It's only preseason? Sure, but why?

If preseason is to evaluate your team and prepare for regular season, how do trick plays help? What's the benefit to having one less play to evaluate your kickoff coverage or young WRs??

simple, a) it makes opposing teams consider that you might do it, and b) due to the rule changes this year regarding the onside kicks, it's good to practice it in a game situation.

Well the onside kick sure put a smile on Dungy's face . . . look, everyone, I outcoached the new guy - in preseason :D

Trick plays dont bother me at all. Its part of the game. WHy shouldnt you run it? Just because the starters are not in there doesnt mean we dont play football. The pats could try and run 10 double reverses for all i care. Try all the trick plays in the bag and see how the team responds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching a lot of preseason games this weekend, it really opened my eyes to the state of some NFL franchises. I mean the Arizona Cardinals were playing Kurt Warner into the third quarter. The Bengals last night were really trying to gameplan vs the Redskins.
Some teams need to prove things in the PRESEASON to their fans and the ownership. Remember the Bengals vs us in the 2004 preseaon? They were trying like it was the superbowl, playing their first team into the third quarter. Thank god we're not a awful franchise that needs to play well in August to sell tickets.

Last edited:
Ichiro said:
Watching a lot of preseason games this weekend, it really opened my eyes to the state of some NFL franchises. I mean the Arizona Cardinals were playing Kurt Warner into the third quarter. The Bengals last night were really trying to gameplan vs the Redskins.
Some teams need to prove things in the PRESEASON to their fans and the ownership. Remember the Bengals vs us in the 2004 preseaon? They were trying like it was the superbowl, playing their first team into the third quarter. Thank god we're not a awful franchise that needs to play well in August to sell tickets.
This makes the most sense. You use trick plays whenyou want to win more than you want to evaluate lower tier players.

I recall Cinci last year playing us in preseason playing regulars well into fourth quarter. I thought at the time how perfect for BB. His scrubs and backups get to play against NFL starters and he can get a great read on their ability.

WV-Colt said:
simple, it makes opposing teams consider that you might do it
With all due respect, even DUngy isn't stupid enough to say, "I think I'll alert other teams to a sneak play I might run so as to take away the element of surprise." It's one thing to go deep every so often to keep the D from clogging the short routes, and run draw plays to keep the D honest on third and long, but it is quite something else to tip your hand on surprise plays. That's like practicing your blitzing and DL stunts in preseason.

While there might be a school of thought that one saves the trick plays and keeps them underwraps until just the right moment to catch everyone off guard, I kindof like the thought of showcasing any number of trick plays in the pre-season to make opposing coaches 2nd guess themeselves during the regular season games.

The trick plays themselves are so rare anyways it seems making DCs worry about what BB might have up his sleve at all times is very worthwhile.

spacecrime said:
...With all due respect, even DUngy isn't stupid enough to say, "I think I'll alert other teams to a sneak play I might run so as to take away the element of surprise." It's one thing to go deep every so often to keep the D from clogging the short routes, and run draw plays to keep the D honest on third and long, but it is quite something else to tip your hand on surprise plays. That's like practicing your blitzing and DL stunts in preseason.

actually, dungy made some remark about the # of times teams have used the onside kick against us, to keep the offense off the field. the said that he has to expect it every time now.

he said something to the effect that other teams are going to have to plan for it as well. i wouldnt' be suprised to see them use it again this pre-season...might even open up the next game with one again.

spacecrime said:

Total agreement,
It's just a waste of evaluating who's going to make your team.
Coaches ego,my opinion

WV-Colt said:
simple, a) it makes opposing teams consider that you might do it, and b) due to the rule changes this year regarding the onside kicks, it's good to practice it in a game situation.

I guess Dungy's doing everything he can to make teams forget they don't have a Rb this year:singing:

Belichik eluded in an interview there are just some things you don't do in the preseason like when he was in cleveland the opposing team put a tight end in motion an entire half and the defense was not equipped to handle it.

I think trick plays are in poor taste in the early games.

NEM said:
Ihave no problem with the onside kick, especially with a new kicker on the roster. Pre season is , exactly, for that, to try out things.

And remember, the NFL changed the rule on kickoffs , that teams can only line up a maximum of 6 players on one side of the ball...so it was a a pretty smart idea for Dungy to try it out.....

Wouldnt be a bad idea if we did the same, seeing as the rule on kickoffs has changed.
There's times to do it and times not to. The first play on a televised game and the coach grinning like a cat that just got laid afterwards is not the time or place. Total low class move IMO.

WV-Colt said:
i wouldnt' be suprised to see them use it again this pre-season...might even open up the next game with one again.
Wow. I can't believe I said Dungy isn't that stupid and a Colts fan insists he is :D

BelichickFan said:
There's times to do it and times not to. The first play on a televised game and the coach grinning like a cat that just got laid afterwards is not the time or place. Total low class move IMO.

Who cares if the game is on TV or not? If you need to practice onside kicks, you practice them. Being a preseason game, the earlier you do it, the more likely you are to have your normal players in. Being good at onside kicks is something that can really payoff, it's not like they were practicing double reverse flea flickers.

workhorse said:
Who cares if the game is on TV or not? If you need to practice onside kicks, you practice them. Being a preseason game, the earlier you do it, the more likely you are to have your normal players in. Being good at onside kicks is something that can really payoff, it's not like they were practicing double reverse flea flickers.
Cheap stunt, buddy.

BelichickFan said:
Cheap stunt, buddy.

I really don't think it was. NEM hit it on the head.

NEM said:
Ihave no problem with the onside kick, especially with a new kicker on the roster. Pre season is , exactly, for that, to try out things.

And remember, the NFL changed the rule on kickoffs , that teams can only line up a maximum of 6 players on one side of the ball...so it was a a pretty smart idea for Dungy to try it out.....

Wouldnt be a bad idea if we did the same, seeing as the rule on kickoffs has changed.

:rocker:

Now, this is the place for Colts discussion. :rocker:

Ok, I see and hear it said both ways and both may be acceptable, however, does anyone know for sure??

Is it "On Side kick" or "On Sides kick" ????

Last edited:
I remember the 3rd preseason game in 1987, Pats at Vikings...Pats receive kickoff and start at their 20. On 1st down, Grogan hands off to Mosi who is immediately swallowed up by Chris Doleman. Doleman swung around him so he's actually between Mosi and Grogan. While falling to the ground, Mosi reaches the ball out, flips it around Doleman's body to Grogan for the flea flicker. Grogan throws downfield to a wide open Stanley Morgan for an 80yd TD. The Vikings crowd went from "Yaaaahhhhhh" to "Awwww (silence)" in a matter of seconds.

Criticize trick plays in the preseason all you want, but there's a reason I remember that play...it was cool. What's wrong with cool every now and then, even if it's meaningless?

Regards,
Chris

HAMMERMILL said:
Total agreement,
It's just a waste of evaluating who's going to make your team.
Coaches ego,my opinion

I don't agree. Its one play, and hardly effects the evaluation of any players. It also gives you valuable practice of a standard play (I don't consider on-side kicks "trick", they happen too much).

As a coach, how would you like to be in the last 2 min of a game, need to complete an onside kick for the win, and not have done it in a game situation. Its classic BB...situational football!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back