PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tressel Talks Pats, Carpenter and Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Tuesday - April 25 - on “The Opening Drive†on SIRIUS NFL Radio, hosts Bob Papa and Randy Cross spoke with Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel, who talked about the interest the Patriots have shown in several Buckeye prospects.

Jim Tressel: “The thing about Bobby [Carpenter], he’s so bright. He watched his dad coach all that time. He’s a very intelligent kid. Along with the 6’3â€, 255 pounds and whatever he runs, 4.58 or whatever, he played defensive end for us. He can play Sam. He can play Mike. He’s just so bright. And great ball skills. We even moved him to tight end a little bit when we had some injuries and he caught balls. He brings a lot to the table and I think he’s going to surprise some people in the NFL because [he’s] a little bit in the shadow of A.J. [Hawk] from collegiate hype, but a special player.â€

Bob Papa: “Sounds like the kind of player that the New England Patriots love, huh?â€

Randy Cross: “I was going to say that he sounds like a young Mike Vrabel.â€

Tressel: “You know, it’s interesting. The Patriots have spent a lot of time here. I think they like him a lot. I think they like Santonio Holmes. I think they like Nick Mangold. Obviously everyone loves A.J. Hawk but he’ll be long gone when they draft. But the Patriots, heck, they’ve had probably 4 or 5 or 6 different coaches here along, of course, with their personnel department. I think Bobby would be a good fit in their scheme.â€
I found this interesting......But I know we took Manny Lawson first round

Agree concerning Lawson. Of course, Carpenter would be a good fit for the system. But a good value, at 21? I'm not sure.

Guys they probably scouted from the top of my head:

Carpenter
Whitner
Mangold
Holmes
Schlegel (sp?) the inside LB
Youtoby

I'd take it to the bank that we'll end up with at least a couple of mid-western boys!

We can do worse than picking guys who played for the Buckeyes and have been coached by Tressel.

Handel said:
Agree concerning Lawson. Of course, Carpenter would be a good fit for the system. But a good value, at 21? I'm not sure.
Although I would prefer Lawson's huge upside if available, Carpenter is plenty of value at #21. He is a solid "plug and play" component that will only get better with experience. He doesn't have the crazy physical tools that jump out at you like Lawson, but he has everything he needs to capably man the spot left open by Willie McG.

AndyJohnson said:
We can do worse than picking guys who played for the Buckeyes and have been coached by Tressel.

Not much. :snob:

Seriously, though, I do NOT like Carpenter. While Hawk was a stud, Carpenter never really impressed me. Holmes would be a great pickup, though. That kid was a gamer, and had a good size/speed combination in college, and sadly, showed up in the big games.

I'd be happy with Holmes at #21 if BB goes in that direction. I think they might be able to trade down a few spots and still get Carpenter.

Michigan Dave said:
Not much. :snob:

Seriously, though, I do NOT like Carpenter. While Hawk was a stud, Carpenter never really impressed me.

Yeah you're right, there just isnt much to like about this kid at all. I never saw much from him myself. Oh, just to slam something down to ya, you know, some food for thought.
In 2004, the last time Carpenter played Michigan, he finished with the most tackles on that great ohio def. 13 total tackles. Against your boys. 13 tackles. In 2004 his last full healthy season, he had 93 tackles and six for loss. In 2005 he had 49 total tackles, 10 for loss and 8 sacks, AND he missed half the yr. Compare that to his two sacks the previous full season, and I think it is safe to say that carpenter hasnt hit any wall. He is a player with alot of potential and a player just hitting his stride. Whoever carpenter goes to in the nfl, give him two seasons, and hell be tearing **** up.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Guys they probably scouted from the top of my head:

Carpenter
Whitner
Mangold
Holmes
Schlegel (sp?) the inside LB
Youtoby
Fon't forget Huston

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24