PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tremendous Article By Reiss on History of the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff; much I'm familiar with but some was brand new. For example:
Sullivan also remembered how players and fans would mingle on the field after games, which created a connection that doesn’t exist today.

Romances were started, business relationships were formed, and guys got jobs during those times,’’ he said. “The visiting players would hang out, too, and one time I bumped into [Bills quarterback] Jack Kemp. He was a fabulous guy and one of the things he later told me was that it was a season ticket-holder from the Patriots who convinced him to later go into politics - Tip O’Neill.’’

Kemp, who died in May at 73, went on to a successful political career after his playing days, which included a run for the presidency in 1988.

A couple of related pieces:

Top five AFL moments by Mike Reiss -- I think I would have found a way to include the signing of Joe Namath in this list

Gold Standard by Mike Reiss -- his all-time Patriots team

Nice. Always appreciate a new Clive Rush story.:D

great article; i liked it a lot

very well done

i hope many such them will follows

Nice. Always appreciate a new Clive Rush story.:D

Morris recalls one unfortunate meeting before a practice at Curry College.

“We had lost a few games in a row and it looked like our coach, Clive Rush, was starting to come unraveled,’’ he said. “I was the offensive captain and Houston Antwine was the defensive captain, so he asked us if we wouldn’t mind coming in the next day a few hours earlier.

“We were going to talk about how to get it all turned around and when we showed up around 8:30, he pulled a bottle of scotch out of his desk drawer with three glasses. He looked at us and said, ‘Do you guys care to join me?’ I think we realized at that point that this thing was going nowhere.

Jon Morris is always worth listening to.

Great article -- many, many thanks to MR.

Yes indeed! that was a great read. Thanks to Reiss for writing it, and Ian for posting it.

Respects,

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey