Welcome to PatsFans.com

Transparency

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

This is the government site that will supposedly explain how the recovery money is being spent and provide general transparency. It's a good step, but it's too early to see how transparent it will be. For big government to be trusted, it must be very open and transparent.

Recovery.gov
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Sorry but he failed the first test by rushing through his $1T spending bill without giving anyone time to read/analyze it. Of course he was in such a rush, he then waited 4 days to sign it.

Fail.
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

is it possible to be truly transparent when you are talking billions of dollars?
  4. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Is it truly transparent when you give everyone only twelve hours to read a 1000+ page bill?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So we go from nearly opaque to much more open and the naysayers are dismissive of the progress?
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Progress? I thought it was supposed to be change? :confused2:
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Change You Can Believe In - I guess that's right, you have to "believe" as you don't have time to read the stuff. Blind faith in Barry, that's what we have :rolleyes:
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

That has nothing to do with Obama. Presidents do not tell Congress how to run their show.

That said, there were political and economic reasons for pushing the bill through quickly. People want action. The economy needs action.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

If it were that urgent why did Barry wait 4 days to sign it ? And if he was so concerned about "climate change" why did he fly his big plane all the way to Denver to sign it ? Does the White House not have pens that work ?
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Obama signed it. He should have told Congress to slow down and read it - and even put the thing on the internet for a week. I saw Congressmen who voted for it who admitted they never read it. Crazy. Just like homebuyers who never read their loan papers who were surprised the rates went up.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

We all have a TV. We all saw the manufactured sound-bite where a Republican in the Senate holds up the bill and says not one person in this room has read it. Blah blah blah.

Question: Since you're so upset about the 4 days since the bill was passed, and since this guy says they had 12 hours to read the bill, WTF were they doing for the other 3 1/2 weeks?

Yeah, that's right. They were all working on the same freaking bill, with staffers marking up each person's copy as the bill made its way through both houses.

What the HELL was anybody on Capitol Hill focused on, other than the Stimulus and the auto bailout?

Let me help ya out. There's not a Red/Blue hockey game, like there is a softball game. But if there were one, it would have been cancelled.

It took Congress a month, it took Obama 4 days, and evidently, this one guy on CSPAN never really gave it much thought until the final final bill got dropped off. Nope, wasn't following markups, wasn't reflecting changes as they made their way through, nope, just waited for it to be born fully armored out of the head of Harry "Zeus" Reid.

Yeah that's how it works.

PFnV
  12. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obama wants everything to be transparent but himself.

If he wants transparency, he should start with himself by showing his true birth certificate.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

14. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Patter --

Not another bogus argument from June 2008. It's 2009!

And while he is at it, I also want him to tell us his real name.

Is it: Barry Sotero, Barry Hussein or Barack Obama?

And also tell us why he is renaging on all his campaign promises?

I want TRANSPARENCY!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Mikey, the evidence is overwhelming that Obama is an American citizen. He should be held to the same standard as anyone else. He produced his birth certificate. All sorts of experts have verified it, including people who work for the records dept. in Hawaii, which issued the official copy.

FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

If he produced another birth certificate, do you honestly think that would settle anything? Conspiracy theorists would say its a forgery. I have no doubt about that.

Overall, Obama has been doing a good job. on such things as his stimulus bill; GITMO; and abortion rights. On transparency, he has signed executive orders and has already set up a website to show how the stimulus money is being spent. On improving NAFTA, he says we will have to wait because of the economic crisis, but also says he plans to work on it. On Iraq, he said 16 months, but there are a few rumors of 23 months. Overall, I'd give him a B+, which is pretty good for a foreigner. ;)
  16. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

B+?

Is that with or without grade inflation?

And that's down from the A+ you gave him just a few months ago, right? :)

You agree with the stimulus bill? You agree that honest hard-working folks who pay their bills (like me) should subsidize irresponsible homeowners who were driven by greed to buy large homes they could not afford (many of whom are illegal aliens)?

Do you own a home or do you rent?

On Iraq, he said he will withdraw the troops in 2009. So when will it be? 2010? 2011?

He said he will repeal NAFTA, period. So when will he "renegotiate" NAFTA? After all the jobs have already left for Mexico and Canada?

All the "changes" he made so far are superficial and illusory.

On the most important issues affecing his voters, he has renaged on his campaign promise and is continuing George Bush's policy.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Obama has done almost nothing I like. He's lost his supposed soul on his nominees. He's been overly combative and defensive about his programs. He's spent $1T. He's been misleading, to the point of lying, in his press conference. He's been dour and simply negative about everything. He's been all that I hoped he wouldn't be.

F.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Why are you arguing against helping a bunch of people like yourself, when the nature of our economic system is to help so many others? It helps people are are lucky enough to work at successful companies that handed out options. It helps people who win the lottery. It helps people who have rich parents. It helps athletes and actors in ways that are vastly disproportionate to any other job. It's not a fair system. The idea is not to help the greedy (though some of them will benefit), but to help those honest hard-working folks who got screwed by an economic crisis created by government and Wall Street.

I own. No mortgage.

I'm still hoping for 16 months, but the last I heard he asked his military advisers to submit plans and ideas, and some of them are saying it will need to be 23 months.

He never said he'll repeal it. He said he'd change it to make it fairer to workers. I think the unions will need to exert some political pressure to make this a higher priority.
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Hot Damn, I forgot all about that one, The President won't show us his Birth Certiificate, he's got Pant Suit Hillary ruuning around all over the world Grinning, Clapping Her Hands and Bobbing her friggin old head maybe he can send her to City Hall to pick up his Birth Certificate, I got one.

Can we Impeach him-----:confused:

WHERE WAS AUNT ZUCCHINI BORN

WHO IS OBAMA'S GODFATHER
    ..................:singing:
  20. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Patter -

I don't mind helping other people who are in need due circumstance beyond their control.
    I don't mind helping victims of Katrina.
    I don't mind helping people who laid from their jobs with temporary unemployment insurance and COBRA extension of health care.
    I don't mind helping older people with Social Security and Medicare.
    I don't mind helping poor children by providing free health care.
    I don't mind people winning the lottery.

But I do mind giving bailout to Wall Street millionaires.
    I do mind giving bailouts to greedy people who brought homes they could not afford instead of renting.
    Giving bailouts to these irresponsible homeowners is like giving bailouts to Bernie Madoff's investors.
    They made a decision based on greed and they must now suffer the consequences.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009