Welcome to PatsFans.com

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Ian, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Very good movie - one you really need to see in theaters. Saw it tonight after work with my family and overall I enjoyed it. It's a bit long (2 1/2 hours) but does move along well, although they could have removed quite a bit. I don't recommend reading any online reviews because it's going to spoil it for any of you thinking about seeing it (I can't see how they don't disclose one major part of the plot in those reviews).

But all in all it was a good movie - be sure to go see it, and try and give vague reviews so you don't ruin it for people in here :)
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The title alone gave away the plot...but that doesn't mean it's not gonna be kick ass!

Only complaint about it is that so much of the movie is given away ahead of time by the previews that you already know who is involved and what their biggest moments are.
  3. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Is there the same level of humour in this one? When the bots where hiding around the house in the first one I couldn't stop laughing, same when one of them popped his fuel cap and started p!ssing on the special agents head.
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm thrilled to hear that. When I saw the Star Trek movie at the iMax theater I saw a preview for it and said I am definitely seeing that here. Whether it's good or not. Just the action looks great. I'm looking forward to it.
  5. Ian

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

There definitely is. The parents steal the show during the first part of the movie, and there's plenty of funny moments throughout.
  6. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Cheers Ian, might go and see it soon.
  7. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

I'm definitely going to give it a look. I'm just not in a rush because, unfortunately, I didn't like the weak plot of the first one. I know it wasn't supposed to have the best plot and it was all about entertainment, which I enjoyed. I just wish that they would have done better with the story. With that said, it is definitely the kind of movie that one must see on the big screen because the effects are ridiculous. If there is one thing Bay does well, it's blowing sh*t up and making ridiculous action sequences.
  8. Ian

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Then you won't like the plot in this one.

There's plenty of that.

As I said - it's the action scenes that make this one you have to see in theaters, because on the regular screen it will just expose the things that were wrong with this movie. But if you can dumb yourself down and take it for what it is (after all - it has cars transforming into robots) it's a fun movie to watch.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  9. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

My 5 year old and I saw it on Opening Day. If you enjoyed the first one, you will enjoy this one just as much. The length was the only big issue...my son started asking me if it was almost over about halfway through. But it was still a pretty fun movie to see, and the effects were amazing.

I don't get all the negative reviews, though...did these people think they were going to see Frost/Nixon or something? :confused:
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +641 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

I've been hearing nothing but bad things about this movie elsewhere -- that it's pretty stupid in general (robots speaking in ghetto jive, a robot dog humping someone's leg, etc.). I respect your opinion Ian, please share more on why you recommend this. I saw the first one but was going to skip this one because the reviews have been so bad.
  11. Ian

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I hear you Tune. There's no question the first one was better - and I think he (Bay) reached on certain parts of the movie and they seemed more focused on the action and less on the plot. I also thought the jive talking robots were stupid - and the dialog with them was also annoying at times, but their presence was somewhat limited [thankfully].

I think the reviews are a bit overrated to a certain extent, moreso because they're forgetting that it's targeted at a younger crowd. You basically have to let your brain go back to when you were 9 and not over-analyze it. Needless to say just lower your expectations and take it for what it is.

One point I won't argue with (especially since I have kids and have seen a lot of the Disney movies that cater to the adult and child audience) is that it certainly could have been written much better. I also have an issue with some of the references made in the film that could have been left out - but I'm a parent :cool: However, overall it was fun for my wife and I having the chance to see it with the kids - which helped the experience and we enjoyed it.

On the big screen the action kept it interesting and it was fun to watch. If I had seen it for the first time at home, after a while I think I probably would've changed the channel.
  12. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

The first one was fun (though not excellent like the Dark Knight was a year later) enough to catch this one. Plus, Megan Fox was one of my good friends in high school so I'll help her pay her rent by buying a ticket. Thanks for the good reviews, Ian.

EDIT: Wow, Ebert just basically **** all over this movie. Here is the review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090623/REVIEWS/906239997

13. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

Wow, he goes hard. However, it's not just him. I've read and heard equally harsh criticisms of this. I'm still more than likely going to end up seeing it just because you have to see a movie like this on the big screen to appreciate the action at its utmost, but I'll be doing it begrudgingly. I'm not setting my sights too high on this one. I made that mistake once already.
  14. Ian

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

You just became one of the coolest members on the site :D
  15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Calm yourself. I didn't even sleep in the same bed (room though) with her... much less bang her. :(
  16. Ian

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Sorry - I wasn't inferring that and didn't mean it to come out that way. I just think it's cool that you know her.

I have to admit that they exploited her looks far more in the second film, and public opinion of her is likely going to suffer because the dialog they gave her in this movie was absolutely horrendous. In the first film they made her at least look quietly intelligent (she could fix cars - and saved him a couple of times). This film that wasn't the case. I know she's looking to lose the "being the girl in Transformers" stigma that she's stuck with, but when you see this movie (believe me - you'll know what I mean when you see it) you're going to scratch your head and wonder how that will be able to happen.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Oh I know. I was just joking. :cool:

My review. CAUTION: MILD SPOILERS!!!

As for the movie, I saw it tonight in IMAX. Wow. I really didn't like this movie. You don't figure out the plot until halfway through. Then, when they do figure out what it is that they need to do, it only takes them a matter of hours to crack a mystery that is over a couple thousand years old. On that matter, how is John Turturro able to sneak out of a government agency with thousands of pages of Top Secret documents... after getting fired no less?

Also really wasn't a fan of the robots talking in New York and urban dialect. I guess they have rap music on their planet. :confused: The length of the movie was also a concern as I began to get bored with watching things get blown up halfway through the movie (even though the explosions were very loud in the theater. Bay could have easily cut 30-45 minutes off of the movie. Optimus Prime and LeBeouf's characters overall situations were ridiculous as well... especially at the end of the movie (those that have seen it will know what I'm talking about.

The main reason I liked the first one is because it was a fun watch. The humor was right on par, there was an actual plot that was established from the beginning, and the action scenes didn't dominate the movie for two and a half hours. This one had twice the action, but not even half the fun.

On a positive note, though, I will say that they had Megan in some real short and sexy shorts in one scene and undressing in another. That alone was worth the ticket price.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  18. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Here's Ebert:
    Wow. Ebert's a very good writer, but his judgment has always been suspect.

I trust Medved much more. And Medved's even smarter, more knowledgeable, more religious.