PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Transfer Season

tatepatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
How do you all feel about what your clubs have done (or are rumored to be doing) in the transfer market?

For Marseille - I am thrilled with what we've done so far. We started by dumping our biggest three salaries (Cisse, Givet, and Zenden). Then we signed Lucho Gonzalez CM from Porto, Diawara CB from Bordeaux, and E. Cisse DM from Besiktas. I just hope we don't sell Cana, our capitan.

I know we have a Liverpool and a Celtic fan here - are you pleased?

I'm only hearing negative things about Alonso and Mascherano and so far it's been a bit of a worry for us in that area. The signing of Johnson is ok I think, we need depth at right back (Arbeloa will probrably be off) and he improved alot last season, Rafa will probrably get even more out of him. The fee was crazy but this is the current climate we find ourselves in, especially with English players.

As for others signings I think we need more penetration down the left hand side, Babel and Riera both just having average seasons. In our system the width 90% of the time comes from the fullbacks and Kuyt and Riera/Babel cut in. Kuyt is solid in that role IMO and if we could get David Silva I think we'll improve alot. Tevez is a strange one, he doesn't want to come to Liverpool out of respect for United but will go to Man City. It's like Gerrard not going to United but joining Everton. Money obviously means alot more to Tevez than proffesional ambition. Left back is another area that may need attention, especially if the story that Aurelio is out till christmas is true and Dossena still wants to leave.

We don't need alot as of now so if we just ended up wth Johnson and Silva or a similar type of player I'd be happy with our business at this moment in time.

We've lost about 4 players who were earning decent wages. We now have to replace them but we don't have the money to spend on huge transfer fees, so we'll be relying on Bosmans and picking up some players that our scouts have saw in Europe. We need 2 decent strikers a couple of midfielders and a left back. We cannot now compete with even the English Championship teams in terms of wages paid. The Sky money in the English game is killing us.
We've been linked with 2 French players from Nancy. Marc-Antoine Fortune and Landry N'Guemo. I hope we get a young Scottish born player, James McCarthy from Hamilton. There are a lot of teams in for him, but I hope he comes to us. Because he chose to play for the Republic of Ireland, like Aiden McGeady, he will be subjected to abuse wherever he goes in Scotland, so I fear he will say f*** it, who needs this hassle and go South. :(

If there is an upside to the lack of income, it is that our youth set up has been totally transformed in the past 5 years.
We now have scouts picking up young players from all over Europe and we are hoping to develop them so they can play for us, then we can sell them on for a profit. We have a young African boy who, at 14, is the youngest player to ever start for the 1st team, even though it was only a friendly. High hopes for this lad, even though in an interview he said his 1st love was Manu!! :confused:. We also have a young American GK, a couple of Latvians, a couple of Slovaks, etc. There are very few decent Scottish players coming through. We have recentley linked up with a Hungarian team, Ujpest from Budapest. Our youth coach in now in charge of their first team, and we will be sending players over there for the exeperience.
My club is now no more than a Uefa cup team. It is a blessing that we will be avoiding the CL this year. We would get torn to shreds by any decent team.
With the new manager in place, all that I wish for is some attacking football. :D

_46009673_michaelowen_getty466.jpg

What a f*cked up image that is...

Most reds have moved on from Michael, he was never really one of us but yet gave us so much. I'll never forget the '01 FA Cup final but when he messed us about and left we lost all respect for him. Still, I never thought I'd see the day when the lad is all smiles decalring himself delighted to have joined United, proudly wearing that f'kin filth.

Last edited:
_46009673_michaelowen_getty466.jpg

What a f*cked up image that is...

Most reds have moved on from Michael, he was never really one of us but yet gave us so much. I'll never forget the '01 FA Cup final but when he messed us about and left we lost all respect for him. Still, I never thought I'd see the day when the lad is all smiles decalring himself delighted to have joined United, proudly wearing that f'kin filth.

It's fair to say it has ruined my weekend. I can't f***ing believe we've signed him. :mad:

If Owen can stay fit he might just do alright for you. You only pay his wages and even then if he doesn't meet certain performance clauses he's on a pretty basic 20/25k a week. You lack serious options at the moment and I think Fergies thought it's worth the gamble. He can still score alot of goals, even if he has pretty much lost everything that made him feared.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back