Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL - - FOX Sports on MSN
Training camp battles to determine the Super Bowl
by Peter Schrager
Updated: July 23, 2009, 6:37 PM EDT

Perhaps it was Frank "The Tank" Ricard who said it best when he muttered the words, "Once it hits your lips, it's so good" in the 2003 classic Old School.

For fans of the NFL, that's the exact sentiment for the first week of training camp. The scent of the freshly cut grass on an August morning, the sight of a new head coach pacing up the sidelines with whistle and visor, the sound of a bright-eyed rookie wideout getting lit up by an NFL linebacker for the first time in his career — it all just tastes so, so good.

And now, after nearly six months of waiting, talking, thinking and dreaming — it's finally time to play some football.

With the start of training camps now just days away, let's break down 10 camp position battles that could help decide the difference between Super Bowl pretenders and Super Bowl contenders. Here are 10 position battles on teams with legitimate February hopes and dreams worth tracking over the next few weeks.

1. Super Bowl contender: New England Patriots

Position: Outside linebacker. For the past eight years, this was Mike Vrabel's spot in the Patriots' 3-4 defense. Working from the outside linebacker spot, Vrabel helped lead New England to four Super Bowl appearances by serving as an opportunistic pass rusher and an above-average LB in pass coverage. With him in Kansas City now, his spot is up for grabs in New England.

Front runner: Pierre Woods. With Tedy Bruschi and Jerod Mayo manning the middle and Adalius Thomas at the other outside linebacker spot, the right outside linebacker will be expected to keep his end of the deal in ensuring the Patriots maintain one of the best LB units in the league. Woods is a four-year veteran out of Michigan who saw some time and excelled when given the opportunity last year. He's also a special teams demon.

Contender: Tully Banta-Cain. Banta-Cain knows the system well, having played for the Patriots in a past life. After a forgettable tenure in San Francisco, he's back in Belichick-world and ready to compete for a starting role. He's a veteran presence.

Long shot: Shawn Crable. Crable's a second-year man out of Michigan who hasn't made any impact in the league yet. He'll likely back up Adalius Thomas at the left outside linebacker spot.
-----
10. Super Bowl contender: New England Patriots

Position: Starting cornerbacks. The Patriots, again? Well, anyone who is penciling the Pats in for an automatic Super Bowl berth is crazy. There are question marks on this defense, and the cornerback situation is a complete open book. The defensive backfield got an extreme makeover this offseason and features more new faces than a freshman high school English class on the first day of school. Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs and rookies Darius Butler and Jamar Love join a young unit with very little NFL experience.

Front runners: Jonathan Wilhite and Leigh Bodden. Wilhite, a second-year man out of Auburn, made some real impact plays last year. Though he started the season off on special teams, he was starting by Week 15 vs. Arizona, and finished the year entrenched in that role for the Patriots during their successful finish to the regular season. Bodden is a Lions and Browns retread who still has some juice left in the tank. He's been on too many bad teams for too long. With the right supporting cast, he could end up being quite the NFL corner.

Contenders: Shawn Springs and Darius Butler. The veteran and the rook. Though there may be question marks at corner in New England, there's certainly not a lack of depth. Springs, a former top-5 pick who's had a more than productive NFL career, brings 13 years of NFL experience and a hunger (shared by veterans Fred Taylor and Joey Galloway) to play for a winner. Butler, meanwhile, was the top-rated cornerback on several draft pundits' boards. The Patriots were thrilled to see the former UConn star slip all the way to the second round. There's no doubt Butler will make a difference right away in his rookie year. Both men could very well be starting in Week 1.

Long shots: Terrence Wheatley, Mike Richardson. Wheatley is a second-year veteran who should see plenty of time in 2009. Richardson, a Notre Dame grad, has been on and off of the practice squad and active roster throughout his career. With strong camps, both players have outside shots of getting legitimate playing time — if not starting roles — at corner in New England this season.

Woods is the starter... I wouldn't call Crable a "long-shot".

Bodden should start, but I'm not sure about all the Wilhite love. He may very well be the starter, which is great if he shows that much in TC... but Springs and Wheatley have as much chance.

Woods is the starter... I wouldn't call Crable a "long-shot".

Bodden should start, but I'm not sure about all the Wilhite love. He may very well be the starter, which is great if he shows that much in TC... but Springs and Wheatley have as much chance.

I could be misreading the article but I think what the author meant was that Crable is a long-shot to start. That I would agree with. I certainly think that Crable will make the club and play on gameday.

I could be misreading the article but I think what the author meant was that Crable is a long-shot to start. That I would agree with. I certainly think that Crable will make the club and play on gameday.
That's my take, Crable played a few downs in preseason, then injured himself in practice and was placed on IR during the regular season - not even a ST's rep. The reports suggest he's done well using that time to get stronger and studying tape of Big Willie, but he's still got to get it done in pads and there will be a learning curve to complete as he takes his new knowledge and applies it in practice and games. I'd have also added Redd to that summary, BB has made an effort to mention his offseason whenever he's been asked and Redd even has a few game reps replacing Vrabel under his belt.

It's Woods' start to lose and I don't expect him to fall behind the kids without one of them comes on faster than I expect. This is a BB defense and the more experienced Woods has a big edge with his time in the system.

Well, anyone who is penciling the Pats in for an automatic Super Bowl berth is crazy.

other than the fact you shouldn't pencil anyone into the superbowl automaticlly I think this comment is off. They are serious SB contenders period. I think going 11-5 without Brady says that this team can compete for a SB almost regardless of what happens.

One LB and the Secondary is a concern but there is so much talent to fill the holes it would be a complete disaster from the front office if most of this didn't work out because that would mean like 10 failures. With this teams track record it is almost virtually immpossible to miss that many times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back