PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricktak

Banned
Reaction score
the Redskins have been rumored to be trying to trade down in the draft. They currently own the #10 pick in the draft, I wonder if the Patriots could move up and perhaps grab Cameron Jordan or JJ Watt if they really like one of them. I feel that they like Cameron Jordan more than Watt even though Watt would probably have the bigger impact. Jordan just had a great senior bowl and combine so he would likely be gone before the Patriots even pick at 17, so if they really like him, maybe they'll trade up this year.

Many here are hoping to get one of these players later than 10th. To move up to 310 would likely take our 17, 60 and 124.

Many here are hoping to get one of these players later than 10th. To move up to 310 would likely take our 17, 60 and 124.

For arguments sake. Who would you trade up for at 10? i have been trying to think and i honestly don't know who i would take at 10 that would provide more value than our pick at 17, 60 and 124

For arguments sake. Who would you trade up for at 10? i have been trying to think and i honestly don't know who i would take at 10 that would provide more value than our pick at 17, 60 and 124

Watt will probably will be available at 17 but Jordan will be gone. Jordan is more versatile so teams like Minnesota at 12, Houston at 11, St. Louis at 14 and Jaksonville at 16 would all be attracted to him. The Patriots have stockpiled enough draft picks over the years so if they really think Jordan is going to be special and a significant upgrade from Watt then they will trade up.

Watt will probably will be available at 17 but Jordan will be gone. Jordan is more versatile so teams like Minnesota at 12, Houston at 11, St. Louis at 14 and Jaksonville at 16 would all be attracted to him. The Patriots have stockpiled enough draft picks over the years so if they really think Jordan is going to be special and a significant upgrade from Watt then they will trade up.

Miami concerns me some. They would probably like to trade out of #15 and pick up another pick, and they'd be in no hurry to help the Pats. Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see the Chargers jump ahead of the Pats at #15 so they could grab the remainder of Jordan or Watt.

Miami concerns me some. They would probably like to trade out of #15 and pick up another pick, and they'd be in no hurry to help the Pats. Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see the Chargers jump ahead of the Pats at #15 so they could grab the remainder of Jordan or Watt.

I'm with you. I don't look at who's drafting 1-16 and feel any comfort at all, because I assume there will be trades. Last year the picks from 11-14 all changed hands. If we fans see a guy like Watt or Aldon Smith or (name your target) as clearly the the best option at a key position, so will the teams drafting behind us.

There's a lot of D-linemen the Chargers like though. They probably like Jordan and Wilkerson but they've been linked heavily to Watt and Heyward as well so they may not want to give up the picks and trade up so they'll probably just wait, one of those players will be available at 18.

There's a lot of D-linemen the Chargers like though. They probably like Jordan and Wilkerson but they've been linked heavily to Watt and Heyward as well so they may not want to give up the picks and trade up so they'll probably just wait, one of those players will be available at 18.

Two very good points, gents.

I will add that I believe the Fish would be DELIGHTED to "help" us...if they felt they were in fact helping themselves MORE. ;)

Except A.J. Smith is aggressive about trading up when he wants a player for an apparent "need." Getting ahead of NE and Miami who are both teams likely to be targeting similar players will certainly be a consideration for him, and not that costly a move up compared to last year's draft.

Except A.J. Smith is aggressive about trading up when he wants a player for an apparent "need." Getting ahead of NE and Miami who are both teams likely to be targeting similar players will certainly be a consideration for him, and not that costly a move up compared to last year's draft.

Miami and New England both have completely different needs. Miami doesn't need d-linemen or outside linebackers, they're likely to take Mark Ingram or a receiver. Even if the chargers trade up in front of us, who cares. I highly doubt Jordan, Watt, Heyward and Wilkerson will all be gone by 17 or 28, So if one of them is taken by the Chargers, then oh well they'll take someone else, they're all solid players.

Last edited:
Miami and New England both have completely different needs. Miami doesn't need d-linemen or outside linebackers, they're likely to take Mark Ingram or a receiver. Even if the chargers trade up in front of us, who cares. I highly doubt Jordan, Watt, Heyward and Wilkerson will all be gone by 17 or 28, So if one of them is taken by the Chargers, then oh well they'll take someone else, they're all solid players.
I'm not especially worried about San Diego trading ahead of us, that may actually work out better for NE.

As to Miami's needs, looking at their roster and the listed DEs and DTs doesn't suggest they'd turn their nose up if they thought a J.J. Watt or a Muhammad Wilkerson was the best bang for their first round buck. It appears as if they are currently heavily in the QB hunt, where that takes them is anyone's guess at the moment.

Not crazy at all about Watt ,let alone trading up for him

That would be a huge FAIL from my view

I'm not especially worried about San Diego trading ahead of us, that may actually work out better for NE.

As to Miami's needs, looking at their roster and the listed DEs and DTs doesn't suggest they'd turn their nose up if they thought a J.J. Watt or a Muhammad Wilkerson was the best bang for their first round buck. It appears as if they are currently heavily in the QB hunt, where that takes them is anyone's guess at the moment.

Most drafts that I have seen has Miami drafting Ingram

Most drafts that I have seen has Miami drafting Ingram
It's possible, yet I think Miami is a bit sour on first round RBs too. They aren't happy with Henne, and would love to find someone they can develop behind him. They have been paying a lot of attention to Cam Newton who now looks like he'll survive the top ten to be in play for the Fish.

It's possible, yet I think Miami is a bit sour on first round RBs too. They aren't happy with Henne, and would love to find someone they can develop behind him. They have been paying a lot of attention to Cam Newton who now looks like he'll survive the top ten to be in play for the Fish.

What gluttons for punishment!! Obviously they didn't learn too much from the Pat White experiment. Stop the run, and make Cam beat you with the arm, sounds like a plan.

While most have Miami picking Ingram, but that usually presumes that Newton isn't there. I agree that Miami would likely draft Newton if he were there.

I wouldn't mind trading up to #10 if Robert Quinn were still available although I'm not still not sure it'd be worth it considering the number of picks we'd potentially have to give up. I'd be interested in trading up a couple of places from #17 to grab Ryan Kerrigan because there seems to be a general consensus that the Jags could take him at #16 but again, depending on who is still available, I'm not sure I see the value in giving up picks to move only a couple of places for a player who could still be there at #17

If we trade up for Jordan or Watt I wont be happy.

If Quinn is sitting there at 10, i'd be trading up.

We could do 17, 60 and 124, or 17, 74, and 92. While it may be a little much, I'm pretty certain that sitting at 17 won't get us the guy we want.

I would be happy moving 17 and 28 to get up to #6 and grab Von Miller if he slides out of the top 5. But I realize I'm in the minority on this.

I would be happy moving 17 and 28 to get up to #6 and grab Von Miller if he slides out of the top 5. But I realize I'm in the minority on this.

Yep. :) Nothing against Miller, it's just that my value equation is based on "expected impact," which factors in risk -- and rush LB has been a very, very risky position to draft high. The expected return from drafting Miller vs., say, Kerrigan + Wilkerson or Watt + Reed just isn't attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes