PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdubh3

Rookie
Reaction score
I think that trading up is a distinct possibility if the target is Chad Jackson. The Patriots have put a lot of money into Tom Brady (and hopefully into Deion Branch), but he doesn't have much to throw to as far as WR. I think of secondary does need help, and our LBs are old, but WR may just be the thinnest position on the team. Running back is right behind it. Then comes the defense. History says that BB will probably go defense, and if it is offense, then oline. I just don't think that is going to be an option this year. WR is very very thin and Corey Dillon is not getting any younger to say the least.

You're not the 1st to suggest this, but I would be very much against the idea. I don't consider Chad Jackson or any other WR prospect this year to be worthy of a mid 1st round pick. The RB position is an option I would consider in the 1st, but there's no need to trade up in order to get 1. After Bush the only RB that might go in the top 15 is DeAngelo Williams & even that is unlikely.

IMO, the Pats will stay away from WR in the first round. Greg Jennings, Brandon Williams, and Mike Haas are available in rounds 3-4. Not great size but great rute runners. IMO the Pats will pick a player in round 1 who will be on the field and involved in play all the time. DB, OL, DL, or LB will be the pick.

I just hope that the Pats DO NOT pick Moss in round 1.

bevster said:
IMO, the Pats will stay away from WR in the first round. Greg Jennings, Brandon Williams, and Mike Haas are available in rounds 3-4. Not great size but great rute runners. IMO the Pats will pick a player in round 1 who will be on the field and involved in play all the time. DB, OL, DL, or LB will be the pick.

I just hope that the Pats DO NOT pick Moss in round 1.

Amen.

Amen, and

Amen !!

I am not in favor of trrading up for a WR.... I'd prefer a trade down. Plenty of WR talent available in rounds 2 thru 5..... If we trade up I sure hope its for Huff or Hill. I'd prefer Huff.

Depending on how high you are talking....

If Huff is still on the board at 13, then yeah, the BB would start packaging picks to go up and get him.

If Lawson or Wimbley is still on the board at 16, I could see BB packaging picks and going up to get one of them.

If they are targeting WR for the first selection, then start looking to go down. We can only hope a Dever or Miami would waste thier first rounder on Jackson.

Trading up a few slots ... after having first traded down even further ... is a standard technique of value grouping.

EXCLUDING THAT, if we initiate a trade up ... not to mention repeating the trick ... it tells me -
no, it SHOUTS OUT to me - that Belioli do not share some of our roster worries, but feel they are entering camps season
with a hand so strong
that they would rather focus on qualitative improvement
than bringing in more promising bodies for evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots