PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Draft Picks For Proven Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBelichickFan79

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With the Patriots having a good amount of draft picks, would you like to see them make a trade or sign a RFA for a guy that has proven to be successful in the NFL? Or would you rather the Pats hold onto all of their picks and build through the draft?

Aside from 2007 with the trades for Moss and Welker, the Pats have typically liked to build through the draft. Other teams, like the Jets for instance, have built through the draft as well, but also haven't shied away from trading draft picks for proven talent (Braylon Edwards, Lito Sheppard, Thomas Jones, Brett Favre, etc.).

A case can be made for each method. Would you like to see the Pats swing a deal giving up a draft pick or two, or possibly sign a RFA and give up a pick? Or would you rather see the Pats keep their draft picks and use them to load up with young talent in the draft?

Trading Picks - Pros:
  • acquiring proven talent
  • have seen what he can do in the NFL
  • eliminate projections and bust factors
  • someone who can come in an immediately help
  • no time needed to develop or convert the player
  • eliminates banking on drafted player reaching his potential
  • no salary cap in 2010 = ability to add $ without worrying about "cap hell"
  • already know if player fits/doesn't in your type of system
  • already know the strengths/weaknesses of the player as an NFL player

Trading Picks - Cons:
  • drafting, especially in 2nd round, is more cost effective and salary cap efficient
  • draft picks may have more "potential"
  • draft picks are younger and have less wear and tear on them
  • trading a pick for a player is sometimes a short term quick-fix
  • draft picks lay the foundation for the future
  • draft picks can study/learn under the vets and then eventually take over (e.g. Guyton for Bruschi)
  • trading picks has a certain bust factor too (e.g Lito Sheppard & the Jets)
  • a player is on the trade block for a reason - attitude, talent level doesn't match production - product of the system, drop in play/production, contractual demands, etc.
  • can acquire proven talent via free agency without having to give up draft picks (e.g. Adalius Thomas (LOL), Leigh Bodden)
  • Pats have generally been one of the better teams at evaluating talent in the draft - have hit on almost all of their 1st round picks and have had good finds in later rounds (Asante, Koppen, Edelman)

I've always been a fan of building through the draft, but I wouldn't mind seeing picks traded for proven playmakers that can be instant contributors. It worked out extremely well for us in 2007, when we traded picks for Moss and Welker. I like the fact that it eliminates/minimizes the bust factor greatly. Wouldn't it be nice to pick up an Anquan Boldin with a 2nd round pick rather than a Chad Jackson?

So what are your thoughts and ideas? Would you like to see NE trade for proven talent at a position of need like WR, OLB, or potentially CB if Bodden leaves? Or would you rather see them stick to the draft and try to develop talent, while adding some free agents? Throw out som names of RFA's and players potentially on the block that you are interested in for the Pats. What makes them a good fit, and what would you be willing to give up?

Last edited:
It depends on who is available. If a team decides to be cheap and tender a very good talent at the 2nd round level instead of the first round or first and third rounder tender, I'd be all over it. I would guess all of the RFA's I'd be willing to give up a 2 for will require more compensation than that. One guy I'd have some interest in who might become available is Dwayne Bowe. He's under contract for two more years at very reasonable $$$, but has been in the doghouse in Kansas City. I'd prefer him to Marshall or Boldin for the same level of compensation due to the fact that he would not require a new contract. Chris Gocong is an interesting name that some other posters have mentioned, but I don't know if I would give up a 2nd rounder for him. If we could work a trade with Philly giving up a 2 for Gocong and a 3, that would interest me (provided Gocong's health checks out).

It depends on who is available. If a team decides to be cheap and tender a very good talent at the 2nd round level instead of the first round or first and third rounder tender, I'd be all over it. I would guess all of the RFA's I'd be willing to give up a 2 for will require more compensation than that. One guy I'd have some interest in who might become available is Dwayne Bowe. He's under contract for two more years at very reasonable $$$, but has been in the doghouse in Kansas City. I'd prefer him to Marshall or Boldin for the same level of compensation due to the fact that he would not require a new contract. Chris Gocong is an interesting name that some other posters have mentioned, but I don't know if I would give up a 2nd rounder for him. If we could work a trade with Philly giving up a 2 for Gocong and a 3, that would interest me (provided Gocong's health checks out).

I've thought about your Bowe idea as well, but I think last year Pioli was looking for a first round pick for him. If he can be had for a 2nd, I'd love to add him for the reasons you stated. I think he'd be a monster in our offense.

It really depends on the proven talents "fit" in NE. People drop their trousers and grab their ankles over big name players like Peppers when they should be checking his price tag and warranty. Vincent Jackson is an RFA with great talent, but he's also got a DUI and more recently 'driving on a suspended license.' I don't want to see Krafty shelling out big money and a 2nd to obtain a guy who's looking to get himself out of a couple games a season with stupid suspensions.

Also remember that in 2007 when the Pats traded for Moss and Welker, neither of their salaries were prohibitive that year. Moss' eventual salary for that year was friendly for us, and Welker signed a deal that was fair at the time, but has been very beneficial to the Pats given his production.

What I'm saying is that trading picks for Moss and Welker also was coupled with friendly salaries. The Pats don't seem to be willing to trade a pick for a player AND pay top dollar. It's just not a great business move to do both. Thus trading for a RFA, the Pats should either be able to take on a favorable contract or be able to negotiate an extension as part of the process. Otherwise, they're better off going the free agent route and not handing over draft picks. Now this year might be different if the CBA limits the number of free agents so severely as it might, but we'll have to wait and see.

Seems obvious to say, but whether one player acquisition strategy is "better than" another depends on a lot of things. First, is your goal primarily to "win now" or to be competitive over and extended period of seasons? Also, is a given position/unit already predominantly veterans that might benefit more in the long run from an infusion of youth?

Other considerations might include whether a particular unit - D-line or WR corps, say - is relatively young, still developing and could benefit from a veteran presence, perhaps even more in a mentoring/backup role than as a means to immediately elevating the level of play. Also, is a guy you'd have to trade a pick for likely to contribute proportionately more in a given role than a guy you can just pick up as a free agent?

The point being that's it's probably not very useful to generalize. What's "better" almost certainly varies from season-to-season and may even do so from month-to-month within a season, depending on injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes