Welcome to PatsFans.com

Trading deadline way too early in the season?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The trading deadline was established at this point in the season in 1969

Some people like Jerry Jones for example is for moving the trading dealine somewhere more towards week 10 than week 6

I would like it to change especially if injury occurs to a very important part of a team (Brady,Manning ect) and there would be more bad teams willing to let a guy go than say week 6 when in reality no team is totally finished as far as playoffs goes...

Heck even Miami and the Rams are not officially eliminated out of the playoff picture yet but say by week 10 all teams that are not good and have a zero chance of playoffs at that time would probably willing to let a player go to improve thier own team through a trade or future draft pick rather than being a bit reluctant to lose an important player when the season is not officially over for them yet.
  2. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +217 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

No. I don't want to see the NHL/MLB habit of trading players for rent at the deadline in the hope of that one Super Bowl run. It works for those games because of the much lengthier seasons, but I just don't want to see it in the NFL. I don't want the NFL's Ray Bourque coming to the Patriots to win a Lombardi, for example.
  3. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would push it to week 8.
  4. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

ditto on that. It seems ludicrously - and ARBITRARILY - early to me.
  5. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

I don't want it any later. Miami is already dumping players. Maybe we should discuss Brown with them.

The NFL does not want to have teams dumping players for part of a season so that teams with a chance can add players for the playoffs.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  6. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Do you mean you don't want it any later - not earlier right?

Thats the point of this topic,too early.
  7. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

i would have to say yes...why is there even a deadline? why not be able to trade up until the season is over? i dont get it
  8. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +217 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Because then teams not making the playoffs dump their entire roster looking for draft picks and young guys to teams looking for the playoff run. Suddenly every team in the playoffs consist of superior veterans who were just traded.

It's the reason there's a trade deadline in every sport. The NFL has by far the earliest, but it also, by nature of the 16 game season, has a much smaller sample size than the NHL/MLB/NBA. Teams can't sell the future for one shot at the Lombardi.

At this point, even a 1-5, 2-4 team has hope of making it back. It's a slim chance, but it's a chance nonetheless.
  9. mgteich

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

..........fixed.

10. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pushing it to week 8 wouldn't be horrible.

To counter the rent-a-player argument (which is a VERY valid concern), keep in mind that the original teams are still responsible for monetary hits.

Savvy teams (NE) would be able to manipulate the system. Bad FOs (Miami) could get quagmired.
  11. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,309 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

Think for a moment, people.
    Were I NFL Commish I would be all about maximizing the entertainment value of my product. Moving the trade deadline to a demark like week 8 could stoke interest among the fanbase. Another day of media stoked fan interest somewhat like draft day. That's not so late that you'd seriously motivate losing teams into meltdown trades but late enough to facilitate interest in injury replacement and roster augmentation for the playoffs.
    Unfortunately, Goodell has already proven himself to be a 4 cylinder model in the smarts dept.
  12. mgteich

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

Miami is already making meltdown trades. Give them another couple weeks and they might trade Brown. By week 8 there may be three or four team willing to make meltdown trades. If your an NHL or MLB fan, then perhaps you believe that this would add to the entertainment value of the game. I simply disagree. I like the NFL product.

Calling the commissioner stupid is just a mark of your own ignorance. We may disagree with some of his efforts, especially with regard to enforcement of rules, but stupid he is NOT. For example, many here may rally to his side as he works with everyone on a rookie salary cap (another thread). He is also trying to revitalize interest in Europe.

13. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

thank you...valid point...
    but lets move it to week 7 then..(just kiding, random number) why not week 8 or 10...i would like the possiblilty to get another good player if sumtin hapens
  14. Truck

Truck Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree that week 10 is too late, since a team will end up getting rent-a-players to totally change the power-structure at the end (& for a fraction of the full-season cap hit).

Imagine if you're the Bears from last year, and the Packers are out, you can toss Grossman aside & pick up Favre for his one last playoff push. That would totally change the team, and the power structure in the NFL. And if you know that the team with Rex is good enough to make the playoffs, then you don't have to worry about getting the extra premier player at the start of the season. You can put it off to game 10, and thus at that time, you'd be able to get 2.5 premier players instead (since it would be 6/16 cap hit for each player) of that one premier player at the start of the season.

I think if that were to happen, you'd see more teams leave extra cap room to fill their team at the end with premier players, just like teams leave budget for deadline trades in baseball; and players on the last year of their contract would fly around like crazy.
    Which might be okay to some people, but I'd rather see teams play 16 games together, instead of 10 games for most ppl, and then 2-3 superstars join in the last few games.

Or in the Pats case, they're 6 mil under the cap this year. 6 mil with 6 games to go gets you 16 mil worth of players. So we can basically add 2 pro bowlers from teams that are out of it. As a pats fan, that would be awesome, but still not fair...

By making it week 6, you're allowing teams to basically have a talent exchange, since no team (except maybe this year's Dolphins) are going to give up on the playoffs by weak 6.
  15. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I bet the Colts wish the trade deadline was right now,Imagine what they would be doing on the phone to other teams making deals on giving draft picks up.

Week 10 is a bit too late but would have been VERY interesting,Week 6 is too early IMO - Week 8 seems perfect.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.