PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Branch = Belichick staying longterm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunzoburns

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I believe the fact that they are still managing this team for the future shows that Bill is planning to stay here long term. He is not just trying to forsake the team's future to win in the short term. Anybody else agree?

bunzoburns said:
I believe the fact that they are still managing this team for the future shows that Bill is planning to stay here long term. He is not just trying to forsake the team's future to win in the short term. Anybody else agree?

100% right, Bunzo. I was going to post the same thing yesterday, but got sidetracked.

This franchise is set up beautifully for the next 5-7 years.

If the Pats actually do pull off a SB win this year, it's "Katie Bar the Door" for the rest of the NFL for the rest of the decade.

Don't know if you're right, but I sure as Hell hope so. I'd assume the long-term has its appeal to Belichick on an historic level, his having such profound respect for the game and awareness for his place in it. The fact that his father had the attitude of "Why would I leave Navy, it's a great situation" pushes him in that direction, as well, I'm sure.

Belichick has no reason to leave as Jonathan was the one who wanted to have him replace Parcells in the first place. Assuming Bill's relationship with either Robert or Jonathan hasn't deteriorated (and we have no reason to believe it has), Bill will likely stay with the Patriots the rest of his career. And there's no reason to believe that won't be 10 years or so - unless he decides to call it quits when Brady does. But I don't think so, I expect them to trade Cassel in one or two offseasons and about 4 years from now draft who they hope to be Brady's eventual replacement and just keep the ship rolling.

I don't disagree with anyone here, but for me being a sootsayer about BB is risky. I can predict what direction he is going in sometimes, but then he always surprises me. It seems he has found his comfort level here in NE, the freedom allowed by the Krafts, his relationship with SP, pretty much sculpted is own organization and enjoys the challenges...but I always wonder how long he will last given his work schedule and his previously strained marital relationship.

IMO BB's ultimate decision to trade Branch was actually a short term decision to remove a weekly distration and a guy who wasn't going to report until week 11 anyway.

If this was truly a long term decision he might have chosen to let Branch play out his hand this season and franchise him next year to send a message to all players that holdouts don't work.

Things worked out great for Branch and Chayut - which long term sets a dangerous precedent - but short term it was the right move for us, and we did get something in retrun.

He will never have the same kind of freedom he has here. An owner that pretty much buys into everything he says. He also has all the tools to be a competative team for a long time and he keeps adding to it. It would be in the best interest of both the Patriots orginazation and BB to get a nice 15 year contract done.

OT: On a side note, anyone else see that goalie get 15 years? Is that the longest contract ever that wasnt a lifetime contract?

Belichick likely wouldn't leave until Pees or McDaniels is ready to take over as head coach, and that is probably several years away. Clearly the Pat's were caught short at WR after Branch's hold-out and unfortunately mistakes like that are hugely magnified when you have to go on the field with a stadium full of frenzied Pat's fans with high expectations.

JoeSixPat said:
IMO BB's ultimate decision to trade Branch was actually a short term decision to remove a weekly distration and a guy who wasn't going to report until week 11 anyway.

If this was truly a long term decision he might have chosen to let Branch play out his hand this season and franchise him next year to send a message to all players that holdouts don't work.

Things worked out great for Branch and Chayut - which long term sets a dangerous precedent - but short term it was the right move for us, and we did get something in retrun.

I agree with you here. BB was getting rid of a problem so his team could move on already.
If it didn't happen to go down the way it did, I could see BB lettin him rot for year.

I would LOVE to see Bill at least ..AT LEAST another 5 years.He is still fairly young.Mid 50's I think?He knows he is building a legacy here and I dont see him tiring of this anytime soon.Though,Im not a prophet by any means.These years with him and brady at the helm are among the best we have ever seen.Hands Down.Trading Branch was a great Idea.IMHO.The draft has been kind to us.

JoeSixPat said:

This assumes that the league itself was not involved in leaning heavily on the franchise to do this and get it done.

But, as the tampering thing shows (which doubtless has zero chance of success), the Pats can telegraph the league and other teams that it has absolutely no compunction about playing hardball - with anyone.

Patriotic Fervor said:
This assumes that the league itself was not involved in leaning heavily on the franchise to do this and get it done.

If the league was leaning heavily on the Pat's we would have already heard about it from some unidentified league source.

So it appears it had not yet reached a point where the league felt threatened.

By taking care of buniness and not letting it get personal and becoming a pissing contest we where able to secure the best resuts, given the circumstances, for our team both on the field and in the future.

JUST OUTSTANDING MANAGEMENT.

I hope Belichick is here AT LEAST as long as Brady is. This made me wonder if Belichick would ever trade or release Brady near the end of his career when he just doesn't have it anymore. Or would Brady get the Lord Favre treatment. Would he be like Joe Montana and end up with another team? I hope Brady retires as a Patriot, even if I have to suffer with a couple of washed up years like Lord Favre.

Brady can fade into the sunset more gracefully than Farve. Farve's game was being a gunslinger, which doesn't work when you lose it physically. Brady's game is based on smart play and smart reads, that won't go away as he ages indeed that will improve with age. Also Brady doesn't have Farve's ego and will always play within himself.

IMO BB is a coach and enjoys coaching, He could be a Marv Levy. I can't see him leaving coaching to go the the TV booth.

I absolutely agree. The combo of Belichick/Pioli have job security like no one else in the NFL and an owner who has total confidence in them. It's not about *this* year the way it is with some team's that haven't won in a long time but preparing for the future...realizing that they want to make us stay at the top of the pile for many years to come. Yes, sometimes we take a hit they way we did with Deion but with three SB trophies behind them they have *plenty* of good will to work with. Even if we don't take home the Lombardi trophy chances are good that we will again within the next three year period with careful planning, drafting and as in this case picking up invaluable draft picks. Think about it what team/owner wouldn't give their eye teeth to have Belichick or Pioli? As fans we need to step away from this "we've gotta win now" philosophy. That kind of thinking is for the Red Sox who took some 80 plus years to win another championship...not so in the Patriot's case. I know most fans are "immediate gratification" types but come on...two first round draft picks in the 2007 draft? We could trade up without too much effort or take one of the supposedly very good crop of WR's that are supposed to be available next year. To me we made out the best (long term) with this whole Branch situation and Seattle will come to regret spending all that money and losing that pick in the long term. But then their priorities are different since they felt they got robbed last year. NE fans are not in the same boat. I'm with Belichick I don't want them to mortgage their long term prospects in an attempt to satisfy one good (or very good) if you will WR. They have to think about the team and it's health as a whole and I'm firmly behind them there.:D

Last edited:
patsfan13 said:
Brady can fade into the sunset more gracefully than Farve. Farve's game was being a gunslinger, which doesn't work when you lose it physically. Brady's game is based on smart play and smart reads, that won't go away as he ages indeed that will improve with age. Also Brady doesn't have Farve's ego and will always play within himself.

IMO BB is a coach and enjoys coaching, He could be a Marv Levy. I can't see him leaving coaching to go the the TV booth.

Favre has no place to go but back to Miss. to bush-hog kudzu. Brady will go to the Senate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes