PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MossWelkowski

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Could Belichick make a splash in FA?

I don't really see any appetizing names on the trade market. I like Chad Johnson a lot, but think he's more likely to be cut than traded.

Kenny Britt?

I dunno. Hasn't he been a douche all offseason? I was thinking there may be a possible scenario like Santonio Holmes and the Steelers.

Pats didn't want Holmes; I can't see them wanting Britt. It does show how barren the trade market is when nobody can think of anybody other than him, though.

I don't see the patriots being involved in any trade before the first day of the season when everyone will get down to the cap. Some players will be cut at that point. There may be some high-profile players traded before then, but we are unlikely to be involved.

We have no reason to panic. Belichick has enough to do in the next 19 days without worrying about trades. That consideration can come after August 4th,

Here's one that makes so much sense it will never happen-

Lamar Woodley for Mankins.

Both are franchised, and pricey. But the Pats might be OK without Mankins and the same for Steelers minus Woodley. The real plus is that swapping players would fill glaring holes on both teams. The Pats desperately need an OB with impact and the Steelers OL is in poor condition.

Even if they get swapped for just this year it would help the Pats more than hurt. And if they were to be signed then I'd rather the Pats give big $$ to a star OLB than a star guard.

Sure, sure, the teams are arch enemies and you don't want to play a former star carrying a grudge in the playoffs. But in January a raging OLB is something more to worry about than a bone crushing guard.

Last edited:

Both are franchised, and pricey. But the Pats might be OK without Mankins and the same for Steelers minus Woodley. The real plus is that swapping players would fill glaring holes on both teams. The Pats desperately need an OB with impact and the Steelers OL is in poor condition.

Even if they get swapped for just this year it would help the Pats more than hurt. And if they were to be signed then I'd rather the Pats give big $$ to a star OLB than a star guard.

Sure, sure, the teams are arch enemies and you don't want to play a former star carrying a grudge in the playoffs. But in January a raging OLB is something more to worry about than a bone crushing guard.

Ya, I've been proposing that one for a while. The Steelers wouldnt pay Faneca so they wont overpay for Mankins. They KNOW that quality LB play steadies any defense, I'm all for trying to poach ANY LBs off of their roster....would have even like Haggans, LOL.

It must have gone unnoticed on you that the performance of the offensive line was dramatically improved once Mankins returned to his starter position.

Before season 2010 I wasn't particularly concerned if he was extended to a long term deal. After season 2010 re-signing Mankins to a long terms deal should be the #1 priority for the Patriots.

Mankins is far more valuable to us than a new LB.

It must have gone unnoticed on you that the performance of the offensive line was dramatically improved once Mankins returned to his starter position.

Before season 2010 I wasn't particularly concerned if he was extended to a long term deal. After season 2010 re-signing Mankins to a long terms deal should be the #1 priority for the Patriots.

I did notice and I love Mankins and how he plays. But Woodley would change this team so much that I could live with the OL minus Mankins, especially if Cannon can help next year or even later this year. Plus, there a number of good FA guards who would be much cheaper than Mankins.

Imagine if Cunningham turns out to be a dud - then the Pats will be in more trouble than if Mankins left. And if he turns out to be good then we'd have one killer defense again - finally.

Last edited:
I did notice and I love Mankins and how he plays. But Woodley would change this team so much that I could live with the OL minus Mankins, especially if Cannon can help next year or even later this year. Plus, there a number of good FA guards who would be much cheaper than Mankins.

Imagine if Cunningham turns out to be a dud - then the Pats will be in more trouble than if Mankins left. And if he turns out to be good then we'd have one killer defense again - finally.
Forgive me for wanting to return a guy who performed to a ridiculous level and whose main duty is to protect the franchise QB.

I can't agree with you on that basis alone but respect the fact that a playmaking OLB is needed.

A top 5 outside linebacker is way more valuable than any other lineman sans a franchise left tackle. I'm pretty sure Pitt would laugh if this deal was offered to them straight up.

It's a QB driven, you can't have too many good CB's league.

Woodley would not change the defense, he would rack up stats against inferior offenses.

The importance of OLB's is vastly overrated. Once that's recognized, people no longer need to be shocked why the Steelers get lit up by elite offenses.

A top 5 outside linebacker is way more valuable than any other lineman sans a franchise left tackle. I'm pretty sure Pitt would laugh if this deal was offered to them straight up.
If you're building a football team where do you start? 1. Franchise QB 2. Franchise players on the lines.

I sometimes wonder if guys like Woodley aren't highly benefited by the scheme itself on that PIT defense?

In other words, is he really as good as advertised--sans Pittsburgh? Sometimes it seems like you could plug just about anyone over there and they'd have at least some sort of success.

I think Mankins is the more valuable player--personally.

I'm sure his contract would be far, FAR too rich for our blood, but what do people think about this whole Osi Umenyiora thing? He's a seriously underrated pass rusher, I think. Guy had 11.5 sacks last year, and forced a league record 10 fumbles last year. Granted, FFs is a pretty new stat as far as the league keeping track of it, but that's still nothing to sneeze at. Sounds like he's ready to hold out a long time, and the Giants seem both unwilling and unable to sign him. Problem is, in addition to a pick, he'll likely command a massive contract, and he'll be 30 in November.

Where do people think he'll end up? If Tampa doesn't want to start a pair of rookies at DE, I could see them going for it. But that would be betting against yourself, a bit. Atlanta seems to be going all in this year, but I doubt they're in any mood to spend more future picks.

I'm sure his contract would be far, FAR too rich for our blood, but what do people think about this whole Osi Umenyiora thing? He's a seriously underrated pass rusher, I think. Guy had 11.5 sacks last year, and forced a league record 10 fumbles last year. Granted, FFs is a pretty new stat as far as the league keeping track of it, but that's still nothing to sneeze at. Sounds like he's ready to hold out a long time, and the Giants seem both unwilling and unable to sign him. Problem is, in addition to a pick, he'll likely command a massive contract, and he'll be 30 in November.

Where do people think he'll end up? If Tampa doesn't want to start a pair of rookies at DE, I could see them going for it. But that would be betting against yourself, a bit. Atlanta seems to be going all in this year, but I doubt they're in any mood to spend more future picks.
I've been thinking the same thing of late HomerSchooled. My questions are can he be had, how much will it cost and will he project in the Patriots system?

There's no denying he's a game changer and could be the tonic the Pats need for an A grade defensive acquisition. Seems very much like a pipe dream though.

It freaking figures....The NYJ are the first team to show interest in Nnamdi Asomaugh. They've contacted him and his reps, and Sanchez says he'll defer pymts or even take an actual pay cut to sign and keep both Edwards and Holmes.

Report: Jets contact Nnamdi Asomugha | ProFootballTalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey