PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trades that make sense thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I was getting kinda tired reading all these different mocks with unrealistic trade scenarios mixed in with realistic ones. I thought if we could list some realistic ones we could then look under scenario A we did B-type of thing. No long explanations, just a yes or no if they are realistic...and not just from a Patriots point of view, because it has to make sense to the other team too...

A few I see: Baltimore trading with KC to get Ryan/Ellis.
Pats trading with Carolina(7/62 for 13/43)-we get Albert they get Clady/Ellis. This is much more likely if all the top 6 are off the board(Long,Long,Dorsey,Gholston,DMF and Ryan).

Its safe to say that teams trading up have fewer holes, teams trading back generally have more. While possible, I dont think we will be looking to accumulate more picks (2-for-1 trades)as much as we want to make the positions we are drafting more appealing(gaining spots not picks). The hole between 7 and 62 is something my trade addresses.
OK guys, what are some realistic trades??

Pats trade #7 for New Orleans #10 + #78
New Orleans trades up for Ellis. Pats trade down to take Rivers or Harvey.

Pats trade #7 for Dallas #22 + #28 + 2009 3rd
Dallas moves up for McFadden. Pats take a pair of CBs: Talib/Jenkins/Flowers and Jenkins/Flowers/Cason.

Pats trade #7 + #69 to KC for #5 + 2009 4th
Pats move up for Chris Long. KC trades down for Clady or Albert.

It occurs to me that the new 2-round day 1 could affect some late trade possibilities. The top handful of picks in round 3 are potentially more valuable now, as teams reassess their boards overnight and adjust to situations like, possibly...

Lito Sheppard not getting traded by day 1.

IF the Eagles are serious about moving him and nothing happens day 1, pick #69 suddenly looks like the right deal.

Instead of Carolina how about Chicago picking right behind them at #14? According to the draft value chart a 2nd & a 5th or both 3rds should do it? Certainly they would have interest in Matt Ryan.

Pats trade #7 to Saints for #10 and #78...Saints select Ellis
Pats then trade #10 and #62 to Bears for #14 and #44...Bears select Clady
Pats select Jerod Mayo at #14 and Patrick Lee at #44

For the Cason crowd or Lee bashers, we can add:

Pats trade #44 and #92 to Rams for #33...Pats select Antoine Cason

Last edited:
Pats trade #7 to Saints for #10 and #78...Saints select Ellis
Pats then trade #10 and #62 to Bears for #14 and #44...Bears select Clady
Pats select Jerod Mayo at #14 and Patrick Lee at #44

For the Cason crowd or Lee bashers, we can add:

Pats trade #44 and #92 to Rams for #33...Pats select Antoine Cason

This is what I mean when I say STOP BEING GREEDY! The Bears need more picks than we do, we want to move down, but trade POSITION in rounds rather than accumulating picks. Once you get into 2-for-1 trades you lessen the likelihood of it getting done. Example:
7 and 125 for 10 and 78

This is what I mean when I say STOP BEING GREEDY! The Bears need more picks than we do, we want to move down, but trade POSITION in rounds rather than accumulating picks. Once you get into 2-for-1 trades you lessen the likelihood of it getting done. Example:
7 and 125 for 10 and 78

If it adds up equalling on the value draft chart what's the difference? Unless we're dealing with the Skins who we know don't value picks very much at all.

Last edited:
7 and 125 for 10 and 78

Oh man, but I really liked that deal, grabbing Mayo and Cason. Suhweet!

How about Glen Murray for a bag of Pucks? Oh, sorry wrong messageboard.

7 and 125 for 10 and 78

Exactly. Any extra picks received in a trade down should be used for other movement to get targetted players. The goal IMO would be to get 3 players in the 15 - 50 range. Get the defense younger/faster with those picks and still have mid-round picks to catch a slipping TE, KR, OG, etc. Keep the overall pick count at about 7 or 8...seems like a reasonable number.

Oh man, but I really liked that deal, grabbing Mayo and Cason. Suhweet!

I have Mayo and Lee as the top two picks for the Pats, but moving up to grab Cason should be doable if the Pats value him. If Avril slides a little he could also be in range. That is what I mean by the value between picks 15-50. Based on team needs, a boatload of CB could go in round 2...so would you rather stay put and have:

Chris Long
Chevis Jackson

or trade around a little and end up with:

Jerod Mayo
Antoine Cason
Cliff Avril

Sign me up for the latter.

Pats trade 1st pick to Dallas for both of their first rounders and Bobby Carpenter.

As I've said before, I'd settle for both firsts and getting Justin Rogers back.

I will never understand why people insist on getting another first round pick...

Does'nt logic say it makes more sense to drop down 4 picks and add that same teams second round pick.. not to mention feasibility.

A realistic scenario I'd love to see is if Ryan & Ellis are on the board at #7, Pats trade down to #8 with BAL, who I think would give their 3rd rounder to move up (precedent of a 2nd rounder to move one spot was set by Browns to nab Winslow).

I'd then love to see a similar trade down with either NO or CIN for them to get Ellis. Again, I don't think either would blink at sending a 3rd to get their man.

The Pats then have 3 picks in the top of the 3rd and can package those to move around and get the players they want in the bottom 2nd/top of 3rd.

The point of this thread was to have a list of pre-planned trades, just as the pats have to have. They will likely have a list of trade options targetting their certain players of interest. Gaining more picks is being GREEDY, every other team needs them more than we do. To facilitate a trade we will be willing to lose "percieved" value. With only 10 minutes on the clock we wont have time to explore every opportunity,so teams will be talking alot before the draft about such scenarios. Trading down will be alot more difficult than just looking at a value chart because of the $$ issue, and it will make mulitple trades back very very difficult. But targetting veteran players with certain picks will almost assuredly happen.
While every team would love to come away with 3 starters(2 really!), its not realistic. BB/SP will go in with only about 4-5 roster spots POSSIBLE for rookies. On average in the BB/SP era, we get a starter with the #1, and 2 other guys that make the team....with 1 of those guys having a 50% chance of becoming a starter! 50%!! Its safe to say that we will have to replace 3 starters PER YEAR for the next 3 years on defense. Thats just the defense! So to answer you who would I rather have :
C.Long/C.Jackson/bpa or
Avril/Cason/Mayo....I would much rather have 1 great player, the rest is and always will be covered with smoke and mirrors. Getting a great player simply doesnt come along everyday. BB/SP know that.

Just to add..Rucker just retired today from Carolina. They have now lost both him and Jenkins, and the trade I suggested for Ellis is looking better all the time....that is if we dont trade up for C.Long

I have Mayo and Lee as the top two picks for the Pats, but moving up to grab Cason should be doable if the Pats value him. If Avril slides a little he could also be in range. That is what I mean by the value between picks 15-50. Based on team needs, a boatload of CB could go in round 2...so would you rather stay put and have:

Chris Long
Chevis Jackson

or trade around a little and end up with:

Jerod Mayo
Antoine Cason
Cliff Avril

Sign me up for the latter.
I'm 100% with you...I think Long might be the best option IF he's available AND they can't trade down (which I think is almost impossible), but I would MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH rather see a trade down with almost anyone as I think Groves, Mayo, Cason, Rivers, and any other number of LB and/or CB combinations that could be had in the late teens to early 2nd as MUCH better value for both $ and productivity than anybody at all available at #7. Humble pie is harder to serve to what will almost certainly be an overpaid unproven rookie than a few different rookies with much fairer pay scales compared to the rest of the team. Don't get me wrong, I think Long has upside, but not enough to justify the extra money vs. the productivity we get from lower picked guys in a trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots