PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Traded up twice, should have kept going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rather trade back from the second round, it might have made more sense to trade up again into the back end of the first. 48 (420 pts.) plus 62 (284) equals 26 (700 pts.). That maybe gets you Mercilus (though Houston might not have traded), Perry, Jenkins, or even Upshaw, if they wanted him.

Who knows, they may have tried to do this, but judging by the way the Packers hosed BB for #62, it seems like Bill was pretty determined to trade back, no matter how bad the deal. BTW, I'll be happy if the streak of consecutive years with a Ted Thompson draft day trade ends at 1. Note to Bill: one trade every two or three years is probably still too many--remember Clay Matthews and Chad Jackson?

As far as needing more picks, here's my take: the Patriots, as everybody knows by now, evaluate players differently. That means they draft some players earlier than other teams would otherwise, e.g., Wilson and Bequette. But that also means they probably have draftable grades on a lot of players that other teams would never draft. They could sign 20 or so UDFA, probably a good may with draftable grades by their standard.

Take three rifle shots, then change over to your streetsweeper.

remember Clay Matthews and Chad Jackson?

I do, it landed Gronk, so it was a great trade.

As for the rest - just no, with those picks they got a violent pass rusher in Bequette, a rugby player, the steal of the draft in Dennard and a WR.

I'd trade Wilson, Bequette, Dennard, and the entire New Zealand All Black Team for another impact player on defense.

Rather trade back from the second round, it might have made more sense to trade up again into the back end of the first. 48 (420 pts.) plus 62 (284) equals 26 (700 pts.). That maybe gets you Mercilus (though Houston might not have traded), Perry, Jenkins, or even Upshaw, if they wanted him.

Who knows, they may have tried to do this, but judging by the way the Packers hosed BB for #62, it seems like Bill was pretty determined to trade back, no matter how bad the deal. BTW, I'll be happy if the streak of consecutive years with a Ted Thompson draft day trade ends at 1. Note to Bill: one trade every two or three years is probably still too many--remember Clay Matthews and Chad Jackson?

As far as needing more picks, here's my take: the Patriots, as everybody knows by now, evaluate players differently. That means they draft some players earlier than other teams would otherwise, e.g., Wilson and Bequette. But that also means they probably have draftable grades on a lot of players that other teams would never draft. They could sign 20 or so UDFA, probably a good may with draftable grades by their standard.

damn it. i wish bb talked to you first before he did anything. damn it damn it damn it.

I'd trade Wilson, Bequette, Dennard, and the entire New Zealand All Black Team for another impact player on defense.

Dennard just might be your guy. And Bequette. And Wilson, if BB's hunch pans out. You can keep the New Zealanders. ;)

Come on man.....watching the rugby dude punch holes in the kick return wall will be worth the price of the preseason ticket. I want to read twice that players have begged the kid to take it down a notch....but he pile drives them through the Earth...then takes off after a jack rabbit.
My new favorite player....whats his name....will go all Waterboy attacking Hoyer and Mallet over Seabass' stretched arms. HardKnocks will want an episode just on the kid slamming his head in the wall in the tunnel......quiet leadership

Last edited:

Luckily for the Patriots, you arent allowed to,

Waaahhh waaahhh waahhhh tavon wilson wasn't ranked by mel kiper waaaahhh waaahhhh

The roster looks terrific going into the offseason.

Come on man.....watching the rugby dude punch holes in the kick return wall will be worth the price of the preseason ticket. I want to read twice that players have begged the kid to take it down a notch....but he pile drives them through the Earth...then takes off after a jack rabbit.
My new favorite player....whats his name....will go all Waterboy attacking Hoyer and Mallet over Seabass' stretched arms. HardKnocks will want an episode just on the kid slamming his head in the wall in the tunnel......quiet leadership

All I could think of was Wedding Crashers,

tumblr_m2jnoshenS1qz93wi.jpg

I told you not our players. Come on Bill you know it was funny.

Dennard just might be your guy. And Bequette. And Wilson, if BB's hunch pans out. You can keep the New Zealanders. ;)

Dennard will be the best CB on the team this coming year. This was a huge steal of the draft!

...and the quid pro quo in which Green Bay returned the favor with the 3 late draft choices for our 5th?......which got us Dennard,btw....How does that fit with your suppossed "hosing",in the second round?....Favors done.....Favors received....Interesting concept,isn't it?:rocker:

Last edited:
Please god or a mod make it stop...

He had players targeted that he couldn't have acquired if he traded up again...

Some teams had as few as 12-18 first round draft grades on their boards. From there until maybe the middle of the third there were a large number of players with similar grades and so called grades beyond a certain point begin to be less meaningful because internet and media scouts or draftniks or whatever seldom set eyes on these guys other than via highlight tape and most of their information is second hand. Teams weed through a lot of that early on and focus in on targets within broad value and position groups and selection within those groups begins to become about need and fit vs. opportunity. If all your potential fits go it's on to the next grouping. So you either maneuver to get what you want or take what you get or you try to trade the hell out of the whole mess...as Bill has often done in the past to much the chagrin of many hereabouts. Oddly it's usually the same people wailing whatever he does... Because it wasn't what they wanted him to do.

I really think Bill had a handful of targets and went up to get the first two and just took the next one when the time came and traded back because he could without risking the next and then traded back farther because he wanted a couple of guys late someone else might have taken in late rounds he had no picks in or found it easier to land as UDFA's.

He really wasn't looking for guys who play one position exceptionally well, which is what lands you the highest grades most of us ever hear about... He was looking for versatile football players with low floors and the capacity to be coached up to potentially high or at least intriguing ceilings (based on what he values). He loves elite talent, but it has it's drawbacks on multiple levels, cost and adaptability and sometimes ego being among them.

I remember at the end of the season after he was traded Seymour was being asked a lot about the value of talent vs. scheme in this game - and Richard has always been one to point out that talent needs to get yours. But he said if he were building a team he would start with hard nosed effort guys and then just sprinkle in the talent... Fans want top tier talent at every position, but in a salary capped coaching driven league in a physically violent sport that fields 53 man rosters and has no temporary disabled list and sees teams burn through upwards of 70+ players over the course of a season, no team can afford that.

The new CBA has changed more than the rookie pay scale too. It has changed the way you can develop players (limits on pre season and in season practice) and how long you can control them at reasonable cost (4 years for all now with an option for 1st rounders to remain a 5th year only at prescribed, top 10-20 position rates). Only UDFA's will be potential RFA's soon... The value of the player on the field from day 1 is eclipsing the imaginary value of any pick... Bill is just getting out ahead of the curve.

Picking the BPA regardless of need or fit doesn't win you championships... Teambuilding to fit your scheme and depth and increasingly versatility 1-53 does.

I think it's fun (in a savage amusement kind of way) to try and predict draft picks. But too many fans get so caught up in the process that they lose sight of what the goal is (for them or for the team). You're supposed to be trying to figure out what your team will do, not decide what they should do... Teams who do what the fans want them to do generally end up drafting at the top of each round more often than not. Teams who know what they are doing, even if their fans don't understand it, usually end up drafting at the end of each round more often than not.

While there's nothing wrong with your idea, I think it's asking too much for BB to bundle up the picks to move up 3 times high in the draft. He's probably still having night sweats from the two he did make.

You're making a huge assumption that a team would have valued pick 62 more on Thursday night than they did Friday night.

...and the quid pro quo in which Green Bay returned the favor with the 3 late draft choices for our 5th?......which got us Dennard,btw....How does that fit with your suppossed "hosing",in the second round?....Favors done.....Favors received....Interesting concept,isn't it?:rocker:

Ted gets: #163 (26.2 points)

Bill gets: 197 (12.6 points), 224 (2 points), 235 (less than 2)

Bill: Thanks for returning the favor, Ted.

Ted: Sure, Bill. Anytime.

Al Davis would never have allowed this to happen.

Ted gets: #163 (26.2 points)

Bill gets: 197 (12.6 points), 224 (2 points), 235 (less than 2)

Bill: Thanks for returning the favor, Ted.

Ted: Sure, Bill. Anytime.

Al Davis would never have allowed this to happen.

The fact that you're using the draft pick value chart as a basis for good vs. bad draft day trades is ridiculous.

Here's some facts for you:

The leader in sacks last year was a fourth round pick. Jared Allen

The leading rusher in 2010 was an undrafted free agent. Arien Foster

The second leading WR last year was an undrafted free agent. Welker

The third leading WR last year was also an undrafted free agent. Victor Cruz

The third leading rusher last year was a fifth round pick. Michael Turner

The number two rated QB in yards was a sixth round pick. Brady

The leader in INTs last year was an undrafted free agent. Kyle Arrington

The fourth player in INTs was an undrafted free agent. Brandon Browner

The leader in tackles last year was an undrafted free agent. London Fletcher

My point is that plenty of outstanding players are found outside the first two rounds. Many are found outside the draft. There is no reason to believe than any one of the players the Pats drafted from trading down can't end up having a better career than a lot of the names that people wish the Pats traded up for or took if they stayed put. Some of the best players in this league were never even drafted.

Here's some facts for you:

The leader in sacks last year was a fourth round pick. Jared Allen

The leading rusher in 2010 was an undrafted free agent. Arien Foster

The second leading WR last year was an undrafted free agent. Welker

The third leading WR last year was also an undrafted free agent. Victor Cruz

The third leading rusher last year was a fifth round pick. Michael Turner

The number two rated QB in yards was a sixth round pick. Brady

The leader in INTs last year was an undrafted free agent. Kyle Arrington

The fourth player in INTs was an undrafted free agent. Brandon Browner

The leader in tackles last year was an undrafted free agent. London Fletcher

My point is that plenty of outstanding players are found outside the first two rounds. Many are found outside the draft. There is no reason to believe than any one of the players the Pats drafted from trading down can't end up having a better career than a lot of the names that people wish the Pats traded up for or took if they stayed put. Some of the best players in this league were never even drafted.

The grave danger in your presentation of facts is that it will end 50% of the conversation on this board.

The grave danger in your presentation of facts is that it will end 50% of the conversation on this board.

For some people on this board facts have never gotten in the way of a good argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes