PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker has Zero trade value.

Look at the flip side: What would the Pat give up for a Welker who is owed 9 million and will either be given 12 million next year (if you re-franchise him) or will walk for nothing.

One year rentals don't get much in compensation. Maybe a 3rd if a team thinks Welker puts them over the top this year. Probably a 4th for other teams

Plus teams can't magically free up 9 million cap space.

1. I don't think any NFL team would trade a premier CB or S for a premier WR/Slot WR.
2. I don't think it's worth trading Welker for a draft pick. As the hunt for the Superbowl ring THIS YEAR outweighs the potential benefits of a future pick at this point in time.
3. Welker is a reliable target and weapon for Brady. No, Edelman/Salas are not ready to take over yet. It may be a different story next year, but Welker is still one of the best in the game this year and Brady will still look to hook up with him on critical 3rd down plays going forward.

Thanks to at least one of you willing to at least engage in a discussion. The reading comprehension around here is ridiculous. Agreed that it would not be worth it for a draft pick. My main point is that I am far more concerned with the secondary, than I am with the offense - with or without Welker. Yes I know the TN game is just one game, but I have in fact seen McCourty, Chung and Arrington play football before and would not describe any of them as elite.

What part of saying Welker was one of the best slot receivers in the game would equate with me thinking he is done?

The last part of my post was asking if he would be free to negotiate a new contract with a new team, which it seems is not an option, so the point is moot anyway

Anyone who thinks this is the worst post of all time was clearly not around for the NEM days

As many people have already said no, No, NO to trading Welker this year. He is the differnce between a very good offense and an elite SB winning offense. Just because he was not a large part of the game plan this week is no reason to assume there will not come a week in the near future where he will be THE reason the patriots win that week. I predict sometime in the next couple of weeks he will have a game that looks like 12 receptions for 150 yards and a TD. No way in hell I'm trading that to anyone this year.

Welker has Zero trade value.

Look at the flip side: What would the Pat give up for a Welker who is owed 9 million and will either be given 12 million next year (if you re-franchise him) or will walk for nothing.

One year rentals don't get much in compensation. Maybe a 3rd if a team thinks Welker puts them over the top this year. Probably a 4th for other teams

Plus teams can't magically free up 9 million cap space.

If a team was given permission to negotiate a contract prior to completion of the trade I am sure he could provide some value in return.

stupid...stupid...stupid...

Just a reminder. Ian has just added an ignore thread feature for all to use when you want.

Just thought that this would be the right thread to remind people of that feature.:rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks this is the worst post of all time was clearly not around for the NEM days

no, this isn't even close to an all time worst...it's a rather mundane, run of the mill poorly thought out non idea of a thread.

Won't be surprised if he is traded for a DB and a WR to play opposite Lloyd. We have Salas and Edelman for the Slot.
The Seymour trade was a shocker so a welker trade wouldn't be crazy.

BB has said it before. Every one is tradable.. Ana's everyone has a role before they are traded

Just a reminder. Ian has just added an ignore thread feature for all to use when you want.

Just thought that this would be the right thread to remind people of that feature.:rolleyes:

you mean I can't slow down and look at the car crash as I drive by???

you are doing a great job as MOD..

I'd be shocked if Welker had fewer than 90 receptions.

I am not here to bash Welker or speculate on his ability or whether or not his playing time was purposefully decreased for any reason other than the game plan at hand.
AssClown.gif

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if Welker had fewer than 90 receptions.

I'd be shocked if he had over 90. Brady obviously isn't going to throw it as much this year and with Lloyd, Gronk, and Hernandez how many balls are there to go around?

I think he will have a good year but 90 catches will be tough this year with all the options.

Last year and before i would have quite quickly said no way

now i see a diff. offense, i do believe edelman could replace wes with relatively little downgrade

but what we could get in return could be huge, so if we could strike the right deal for either draft picks (prob a #1, nothing less than that will do)

or for a VERY good player of need for us (seconday, Oline)

yes......to the dolphins for their 2013 1sr rounder

look he's not going to have 1500 yards this year that was a career year and the Titans maybe the worst team the pats face all year we dont know so they are going to need him... and no one is going to give up much for a slot WR that is makeing 9 million this year he's worth more to the pats then any other team

I seriously doubt Ridley will have 2 more 100+ yards game. Me thinks the Pats were playing close to the vest on offense to give teams something else to think about. Welker will get his catches regardless.

Oh shiite!

I'm aghast....

Why trade Welker for a pick when we can trade Belichick for a teams entire draft. :rofl:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey