PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're underestimating how important Welker is to the offense. Imagine if one of Hernadez/Gronk/Lloyd went down and we traded away Welker? Depth is so important, and people need to start realizing this.

I agree. I think he is also underestimating the secondary as well. It hasn't always been pretty, but how about we let a few more games play out before we declare the secondary DOA. McCourty and Arrington are both extremely young, and McCourty showed during his rookie season that he can definitely play at a higher level. Look at how the patience with Cunningham is paying off big for the Pats. Also, the defense has a different look and feel to it when Chung is in the lineup. How about we give him this season to prove he can stay on the field and be a full-time contributor before we put the final nail in his coffin.

OP, just take a step or two away from the ledge. Let's enjoy the fact that the Pats look improved in all phases of the game and had a really nice win in week one. The season is a long one and a lot can change as time progresses. Let's enjoy the ride and allow Welker to finish what he started here. We'll worry about the rest when we get there.

Here is albert breer from sunday

(Albert Breer on Twitter Sunday -- "[Welker's] systematically been squeezed by the team. Pretty obvious.") to let us know that it has begun.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Don't know how Welker takes this. I know how I would RT @NFL_ATL: Things make you go hmm: Welker splits snaps w/Edelman Wes Welker splits Patriots snaps with Julian Edelman - NFL.com

Amazing....

Not again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

129158556075572762.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Since Sunday's game:

Two "Trade Welker" threads :eek:

One "Trade Woodhead" thread (cleverly masked I might add) :p

Sheer insanity, I tell ya! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I propose the following:

Trade the OP of this thread to Jets Insider for a bag of potato chips!

:explative

I propose the following:

Trade the OP of this thread to Jets Insider for a bag of potato chips!

:explative

Could we maybe get popcorn it's better for when we sit back and laugh at him in there.

Here you go:

And he would be able to negotiate a new contract - something that he can't do with the Patriots for the remainder of the seasons

No he can't

After the metrosexual remark,Mr Bundchen has asked for Welker to be traded post haste.

Yet another thread fail.

C'mon people it's in season now. Bring your A threads.

Last edited:
1. I don't think any NFL team would trade a premier CB or S for a premier WR/Slot WR.
2. I don't think it's worth trading Welker for a draft pick. As the hunt for the Superbowl ring THIS YEAR outweighs the potential benefits of a future pick at this point in time.
3. Welker is a reliable target and weapon for Brady. No, Edelman/Salas are not ready to take over yet. It may be a different story next year, but Welker is still one of the best in the game this year and Brady will still look to hook up with him on critical 3rd down plays going forward.

I am not here to bash Welker or speculate on his ability or whether or not his playing time was purposefully decreased for any reason other than the game plan at hand.

I think Wes is easily one of the best slot receivers in the league and would be a huge asset to any team, particularly one with a young QB looking for a reliable safe target.

The Patriots have what is easy to see is a very explosive offense and a seemingly improved defense that IMO is one or two upgrades in the secondary away from being as close to a complete team since 2003.

The offense has evolved to where I don't think TB needs to rely so heavily on Wes anymore. We have more true receiving threats - especially inside with the TE's and seemingly an improved running game.

I think his value to the Pats is significantly lower than it was a year ago, but his trade value may have actually increased with so many rookie or 2nd year QB's starting. Given all the weapons an opponent has to game plan for when playing NE, I think Edleman would be an adequate replacement.

Trading Welker for an upgrade over any one of these 4 players: Chung, Gregory, McCourty, Arrington - would be worth it. Interested to hear what the rest of you think.

I would also assume that if Wes were traded he would be free to negotiate a new long term contract with his new team. is this right?

Oh brother, worst thread so far this season.

As mentioned, nobody is going to trade for Welker. Who would sign him without a guarantee for next season. He cant extend his contract with the Patriots or any other team!!

Plus, trading Welker would have the same effect on the team as getting rid of Moss had. Only with Moss it was the deep ball, with Welker it would be the short field.

See, When the Patriots let Moss go defenses didn't have to worry about the deep ball. When they figured the Patriots didn't have anyone else to go deep or was a deep threat they just stopped the short to mid field stuff. Defenses didn't have to spread out. This cost the Patriots a SB, maybe two. They brought in Ocho thinking he could be that guy!! Nope, but now they have Lloyd and this is going to open the field up. Defenses will now respect the deep ball and so they have to play more honest and spread the field.

Now Welker on the other hand works the short to mid field, more so then Gronk and Hernandez who work more of the mid field. The short field opens up the deep ball and the mid field. Welker is the reason others get open. And lets get one thing straight, Edelman is no Wes Welker!! Not even close!! To get rid of Welker this season you could kiss SB goodbye!!

Everything is in place, they have the run game, the deep threat, the mid field and short field covered, pieces are in place, folks!! The only thing I worry about on offense is they need one more solid receiver for depth. Another solid RB for depth wouldn't be bad either but WR is most important, imo.

So the cliff notes version... Bad thread!! Bad Idea to trade Welker! Keep Welker! Win SB!!

Could we maybe get popcorn it's better for when we sit back and laugh at him in there.
Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn will break the annual budget of JI! :mad:

Oh brother, worst thread so far this season.

As mentioned, nobody is going to trade for Welker. Who would sign him without a guarantee for next season. He cant extend his contract with the Patriots or any other team!!

Plus, trading Welker would have the same effect on the team as getting rid of Moss had. Only with Moss it was the deep ball, with Welker it would be the short field.

See, When the Patriots let Moss go defenses didn't have to worry about the deep ball. When they figured the Patriots didn't have anyone else to go deep or was a deep threat they just stopped the short to mid field stuff. Defenses didn't have to spread out. This cost the Patriots a SB, maybe two. They brought in Ocho thinking he could be that guy!! Nope, but now they have Lloyd and this is going to open the field up. Defenses will now respect the deep ball and so they have to play more honest and spread the field.

Now Welker on the other hand works the short to mid field, more so then Gronk and Hernandez who work more of the mid field. The short field opens up the deep ball and the mid field. Welker is the reason others get open. And lets get one thing straight, Edelman is no Wes Welker!! Not even close!! To get rid of Welker this season you could kiss SB goodbye!!

Everything is in place, they have the run game, the deep threat, the mid field and short field covered, pieces are in place, folks!! The only thing I worry about on offense is they need one more solid receiver for depth. Another solid RB for depth wouldn't be bad either but WR is most important, imo.

So the cliff notes version... Bad thread!! Bad Idea to trade Welker! Keep Welker! Win SB!!
My "cliff note version" of your response . . . GREAT POST!

You know what.... let's just trade him away, okay?? LET'S TRADE HIM AWAY AND WHAT ARE YOU LEFT WITH?? YOU'RE LEFT WITH GREG SALAS, THAT'S RIGHT GREG SALAS. People like you guys discussing trading Welker make me wonder if winning a Super Bowl even matters to certain fans. OK sure, why don't they just trade away all of our great players just to p!ss off?? I mean, they traded away Richard Seymour a couple years ago, and Wes Welker hasn't produced lately. :)cool:) So that means Wes Welker is done, and let's get rid of him?! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT??? :violent: I'm really getting sick of these threads.

Now that my rants over I think Wes Welker's still a vital piece of this offense and will be crucial to us winning a championship this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing