PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up to get Lawson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Fat Guy In A Little Coat
Reaction score
There is lots of positive talk about Manny Lawson- on this board and other boards.

If this is the guy BB and Pioli want, would we have to trade up? There are a handful of teams above us which could take him...I see Lawson as a similar player to Demarcus Ware who went 11th.

Chewy said:
There is lots of positive talk about Manny Lawson- on this board and other boards.

If this is the guy BB and Pioli want, would we have to trade up? There are a handful of teams above us which could take him...I see Lawson as a similar player to Demarcus Ware who went 11th.

I've seen plenty of projections of Lawson dropping into the 2nd--I don't know who NEP would trade up for, but in an LB-rich draft, I would think they'd rather trade down or hold pat--similar to how they ended up with Ty Warren a few years back...

but I also expect a lineman with their first pick...

Chewy said:
Here are a couple of Mocks that list Lawson going in the teens...
If he's there for us at #21, fine, but there's enough chance he will be, or that there will be an equally good player, to make it not worth trading up IMO.

I favor a trade down and improve our round 2 position if possible. Greenway or Ryans late 1st than nab Richard Marshall early 2nd..... Sweeeeeet

Trade up for Lawson? You must mean trade up in the second round? He'll be picked somewhere in the 35-50 range.

Chewy said:

Makes me think of the Jets when they traded up to land Dewayne Robinson. All that positive pre-draft talk, and Robinson, who looked like an early 2nd rounder, ran up mock draft boards like wildfire. Turns out Robinson is a good, not great, player, and was probably good value as an early 2nd rounder all along. Looks like a pretty stupid trade now.

There are plenty of good LB prospects in this draft. If Lawson runs up the draft board, that only means someone else is being pushed down. We'll have three or four good propsects to choose from... no need to fall in love with one guy out of the entire draft class.

NH54FaN said:
Trade up for Lawson? You must mean trade up in the second round? He'll be picked somewhere in the 35-50 range.

ahahaha i may be a rookie like u, but im not short on inteligence...

as a DE this guy is mid second...for a 43 team

for a 3-4 team he is a mid first! we could stand still and take him, and still grab my personal favorite prospect Richard Marshall

I think Manny Lawson goes #12 to the Browns, but if he doesn't go there I doubt he would be looked at until #17 by the Cowboys. Would they take him? It is a possibility. To get in front of them we would have to trade with the Dolphins at #16, which is a possibility because Saban loves draft picks and would like to get some back since he already had to use one to deal for Culpepper. But on the other hand, the Cowboys could pass him up and we could end up with our choice of Lawson, Greenway, or Carpenter at 21. If all 3 are there we would hope he would trade down a few picks in hope that one or more is still there later. If only one is there at 21 I suspect he drafts him there. Wimbley also becomes a possibility with a trade down. So to answer your question no, don't think we trade up to take Lawson.

I agree, Lawson could easily go to the Browns at 12. Don't rule out the possibility of a team like the Jets moving up into the 18-20 range to get Lawson. The other guy nobody is talking about is Wimbley from FSU. These 2 guys are very similar and would definitely compete for the same draft slots. Personally, I think Lawson is the better prospect, but I don't know if he's worth trading up for.

We get him at 21 or move on... if in fact he's who the Pats would want at 21. For all we know, they've spoken and Lawson said, "yeah I love what you do but you have to understand that defense would be all about me..."

Not that he's shown any signs of anything like this, but the point is we have no idea what the Pats are thinking on draft day. Which of you guys predicted Logan Mankins again?

PFnV

#12 to the Browns is a good laugh! Unless he has rocketed up the draft charts (possible) Most draft boards barely have him in the first round, most have him in the second round. I think he's a late first round pick at best. Would I be upset if the Patriots take him at 21? No. They need LBs, and I feel he could be good here, however I also like RB Williams; CB Joseph; LB Carpenter; CB Williams; and CB Hill.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick an OL (depending on Light's recovery) or DL ( if a good one is available) maybe go to a 4-3?

SNL said:
#12 to the Browns is a good laugh! Unless he has rocketed up the draft charts (possible) Most draft boards barely have him in the first round, most have him in the second round. I think he's a late first round pick at best. Would I be upset if the Patriots take him at 21? No. They need LBs, and I feel he could be good here, however I also like RB Williams; CB Joseph; LB Carpenter; CB Williams; and CB Hill.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick an OL (depending on Light's recovery) or DL ( if a good one is available) maybe go to a 4-3?

Lawson kicked ass at the Sr Bowl and tested off the charts at the combine, including a 4.4 40. That's more than enough to move him up. In fact, a lot of the sites have already moved him up to the #2 DE prospect.

Trade up to get Lawson? Let me think: Hell NO!:rocker:

bucky said:
Lawson kicked ass at the Sr Bowl and tested off the charts at the combine, including a 4.4 40. That's more than enough to move him up. In fact, a lot of the sites have already moved him up to the #2 DE prospect.
Lawson drifted up for a while but is definitely trending down now. That's not to say he will be there at #21 but there's a pretty good chance he will be.

PatsFanInVa said:
Which of you guys predicted Logan Mankins again?

I THINK I did, but I don't remember for sure.:)

Trade up, they might, depending on what has happened ahead of time.

If Wimbley, Carpenter, and possibly Simms are also gone, then they might trade up a spot or two.

Or at that point that would mean that Williams is still likely on the board and they could go and get a running back in the first.

PatsFanInVa said:
Which of you guys predicted Logan Mankins again?

PFnV
I know patchick and I each had him in FF's contest, though I can say I wasn't expecting 1st round.

Being a 3-4 tweener with great physical skills, but some things that definitely need improvement (stopping the run, etc.), Lawson is somewhat of a wildcard. He could go anywhere from mid-first to late-2nd I think. There will be many teams looking for an OLB in the late first round (us, NY Giants, Carolina, etc.) and several in the second. Most of the teams in the mid-first round up until us aren't really looking at LB that much, except for Dallas. I think Cleveland will either go DT or Wimbley if they go LB, not Lawson. If Lawson doesn't go to Dallas, he would likely be there at 21. He does have huge upside, but more risk than a guy like Carpenter (who has less potential upside, but is more of a guarantee). At this point, it depends on how much teams are willing to go for the higher risk of Lawson, based on his stellar physical skills.

big mike said:
Being a 3-4 tweener with great physical skills, but some things that definitely need improvement (stopping the run, etc.), Lawson is somewhat of a wildcard. He could go anywhere from mid-first to late-2nd I think. There will be many teams looking for an OLB in the late first round (us, NY Giants, Carolina, etc.) and several in the second. Most of the teams in the mid-first round up until us aren't really looking at LB that much, except for Dallas. I think Cleveland will either go DT or Wimbley if they go LB, not Lawson. If Lawson doesn't go to Dallas, he would likely be there at 21. He does have huge upside, but more risk than a guy like Carpenter (who has less potential upside, but is more of a guarantee). At this point, it depends on how much teams are willing to go for the higher risk of Lawson, based on his stellar physical skills.

It would see to me that Lawson should get drafted ahead of Wimbley. Wimbley's got nothing on Lawson besides maybe 10 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes