PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Up From 60 - FOUR IMPACT PLAYERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the debate in a nutshell - an effective pass rush v. "a pass rusher".

I would say "Having an elite pass rusher allows BB to develop a more well rounded pass rush".

If you have an elite pass rusher, the opposing offense has to slide blocking assignments to that pass rusher, so if that pass rusher is elite and rushes then sometimes he will get a sack or QB pressure other times probably nothing.

However IF the opposing offense has slid the coverage to the side of the elite pass rusher and the elite pass rusher drops into coverage, the other side of the field is exposed to overload blitzes, or secondary blitzes, or any exotic blitz in the BB play book. This is the disguised scenario that BB craves.
Bottom Line: "Draft Kerrigan or Houston in the first round and hope slow motion Cunningham has a year two leap at least until the rookie learns the defense.

Did we end the season as the worst team in the league on defensing 3rd down.

Yes and by a pretty wide margin. We gave up first downs on over 47 percent of third downs. thats crippling. especially when our strength is on offense. We cant get the offense on the field. horrible. pathetic really. we need a pass rusher. you wonder if bowers from clemson looks like the next legitimate pass rusher, whether a team needing depth would trade a top 3 pick for our first 2 first rounders. I know the value chart says its unequal, but you never know

2010 NFL Team Downs Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Where would a Bowers even fit into this defense? At 6'4 280, can he play the elephant back/McGinnest role? The problem is that I don't think any player merits 2 first round choices and Bowers is projected in the top 5, top 10 at worst.

OFFENSE
We know what we need on offense to improve the BEST offense in the nfl. We need to maintain the quality of the line, pick up a #2 rb and a #3 receiver (who could be price or tate). That really is not a major order for the offseason. The biggest improvement could come if the defense stopped one more 3rd down per game (and be average instead of worst)

DEFENSE
While we need to focus on 3rd down production, the solution is not clear. Certainly, Bodden will help.

Yes and by a pretty wide margin. We gave up first downs on over 47 percent of third downs. thats crippling. especially when our strength is on offense. We cant get the offense on the field. horrible. pathetic really.

At 60, we'd have our pick of the 2nd level offensive linemen. Belichick will make the determination, but I'm not sure that many project to be better prospects than Ohrnberger Connolly, Wendell or Bussey.

My point in this thread is to discuss the resaonability of trading up so that we have the maximum chance of getting four impact players.

I think that trading 60 and 74 for 38 does that best. We would than start with 17, 28, 33 and 38.

Let's assume you take an OT at either 17, 28 or 33 or in my scenario 17, 18 or 33. Who's the guard or center who would be there at 38 but not at 60? Pouncey is the one guard getting a first round grade but I think he'll be over drafted given the success of his brother. Now if you're advocating taking him at 28 or 33 and then taking an OT at 38 then I can see that. There's really no other guards that are above the rest that would warrant needing to take them at 38. Wisniewski is the top rating center and a player that will probably go around 38 so you can also make a case for him.

The other scenario would be drafting another OT and planning on playing him at guard but having the flexibility to move him to OT. The problem there is most of these guys are taller than the Patriots typically look for. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's a consideration.

I'm not sure if Pouncey or Wisniewski translate into the Patriots system or not. I haven't seen enough of either so I cannot make a case one way or the other.

So I'm not discrediting your proposal as I would be very happy if they went for 4 in the top 38 I'm just pointing out there's other options and why.

pick up a #2 rb

The guy I like here is DeMarco Murray of Oklahoma. 6'1" 208 4.48 speed. Nice combination of size and speed. More importantly not only did he rush for 1100+ yards but he also had 71 catches for 595 yards and he can pass block. He can probably be grabbed at in the 60-74 range. He gives us some backup to both BJGE and Woodhead even though he's a different player than both.

We have a long way to go, but Weisnewski as a C and Pouncy as a G are my choices. Others have Kirkpatrick.

Let's assume you take an OT at either 17, 28 or 33 or in my scenario 17, 18 or 33. Who's the guard or center who would be there at 38 but not at 60? Pouncey is the one guard getting a first round grade but I think he'll be over drafted given the success of his brother. Now if you're advocating taking him at 28 or 33 and then taking an OT at 38 then I can see that. There's really no other guards that are above the rest that would warrant needing to take them at 38. Wisniewski is the top rating center and a player that will probably go around 38 so you can also make a case for him.

The other scenario would be drafting another OT and planning on playing him at guard but having the flexibility to move him to OT. The problem there is most of these guys are taller than the Patriots typically look for. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's a consideration.

I'm not sure if Pouncey or Wisniewski translate into the Patriots system or not. I haven't seen enough of either so I cannot make a case one way or the other.

So I'm not discrediting your proposal as I would be very happy if they went for 4 in the top 38 I'm just pointing out there's other options and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back