PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade scenario: Which team has lots of holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
There's usually some team that ends up with a sparse draftboard because they traded their picks for players.

Often these are the same teams that still have many holes, (isn't it funny how that works out).

Teams like the skins don't really want a lot of picks, but other less successful teams need to show the fans something by picking consistently through the draft so it looks like they are doing something.

We are in a unique position having extras in the first and tons in lower rounds.

Even if we have a yard sale, we have a 5th (7th?) and 2 6ths that are untradeable.

We could gain quality picks in 1-3 while offering an attractive, "fill all your holes" package to a team that may have screwed up in the past.

Are there teams with quality, but not quantity that might want to deal with us?

I'm talking about our fist and 3rd being in play, for example, because no ones going to give us anything just for our low junk picks. Packaged with a high pick and it's a different story.

Id say we have a better chance getting 2 picks for the 28th pick .. I dont see us moving up past 20 ,even if we do trade up

Id say we have a better chance getting 2 picks for the 28th pick .. I dont see us moving up past 20 ,even if we do trade up

My main point is packaging all the junk at the bottom of our draft to get some value. Does anyone really think 4 6th round picks will make this team?

I don't think it's worth moving up myself, but trading a #1 and-3 day two picks for round 2 and 3 picks or a player, (we love vet linebackers), looks sweet to me.

A team with holes and a decent young LB might be ideal.

many of those Day Two picks are untrade-able, and even if they weren't, I don't think any team is going to give up a 2nd or even 3rd rounder for three 6ths.

many of those Day Two picks are untrade-able, and even if they weren't, I don't think any team is going to give up a 2nd or even 3rd rounder for three 6ths.

You misunderstand. Because 2 of the 6ths and others are untradeable, we have a lot of low picks that won't make our first cut.

If we package them with an attractive #1, some team can get a first and a lot of depth with 2 6ths and some combo of 4,5 or 7th.

This combination would be attractive to a team with a lot of holes and grumbling fans.

Of course the low picks alone won't draw offers.

The Houston Texans I'd say have lots of needs and some quality picks. I'd gladly move our two 1st rounders for Houston's 1st and 2nd. Oops check that, Texans don't have a 2nd rounder this year. Ok our two 1sts for Houston's 1st this year and 1st next year. :)

Last edited:

How about this scenario. The Skins want Briggs. They would swap their 6 to the Bears to move up to 31. The Bears have stated they would make the trade if they could trade down from #6 and pick up some choices, but have found no takers so far.
Lets throw the Draft Value Police out of this one. The Chart is outdated. As Belichick has said , trading down now is almost too difficult. The last third of the first round is the best value. Go to the second round and you can only tie up the player for 4 years. You also have tremendous salary issues in round one. I believe they said if Russell gets drafted number one. he will be second only in guaranteed salary of every quarterback other than Manning (like 20 million) and has not played a down, Forget this damned Value Chart as it is obsolete. Was great in the 80's. If anything moving up from say 15 to 5 should be minimal in value difference because of the payment structure.

Miquel can you comment.

Here is my shot at this. Let the Bears get #6. We swap 24 and 28 for that 6 and exchange our #91 for the Bears #37. 24 and 28 are the premium pics for the Bears here. We take Willis who I think will be like a Ray Lewis in production and a safety or CB at #37 (Griffin, Merriweather, McCauley, Hughes, Weddle or Rouse etc.) and our Day One will be terrific.

Think the Bears would do this?

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes