PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Pierce, keep Al

I agree that the time to trade Pierce is now. It's obvious no big name FAs want to come here, so it's time to blow it up. They've been bad for many years & when we missed out on the top 2 picks in this year's draft we already knew that meant 5 more years of mediocrity.

My 6th sense says, sadly, that the Celts will trade Al, the #5 and baggage for Garnett. The reason I feel that way is that Ordway, Gilroy & Co have hit the airways hard last week and this, selling such a trade to fans in the name of "relevancy". Relevancy is code word for "money". Key writers in the Herald are also pushing this trade and deriding Al's game. They also would benefit short term from an uptick in fan interest and sales. These cats are all dialed into the very talkative Celtic ownership and management and IMO they are prepping the fan base for the trade of Jefferson. This trade is about everything other than the long term health of this franchise. I think they were all probably shocked by the fact 90% of the fans want to keep Big Al, and I expect a full court media press over the next couple of days to sell the quick fix, 2 years and out Garnett solution. The bottom line here is the bottom line. WEEI will be airing Celtic games next season and doesn't want to lose money. Foxsportsnet has been griping about declining ad revenue, Corporate sponsors have been "grousing" about the product so the economic pressure is on Grousebeck.

Bingo! We've got bingo!

Those clowns, and that relevency crap is ridiculous. It's all about the $$. It's funny cuz Ordway, the Big Dope, really doesn't know anything about NBA basketball. Listen to him, and the rest of the idiots talk in depth about the league, or the C's, and you'll see how they don't even know how many years Wally has left on his contract, what a player makes, how the luxury tax works, or what players/picks were traded for who. Last week they didn't even know that the C's #7 pick was part of the Telfair deal. Hello? McFly? What a bunch of ******s.

I share your concern about Yi. But here's something to ponder. Yi has been raised in a special school for athletic standouts since he was a child. He has essentially been brainwashed in a lifestyle of discipline and competition. He will come to the US representing his country and people, with all the burden and pride that entails. When he performs on the court it won't be about money as much as honor, by the nature of culture in which he was raised. He is 7'1'' in sneakers and already almost 250 lbs. He is a workaholic. He is skilled and from the interviews I have seen, he has a tough but likeable personality. He has the physical god-given tools to be an elite player, the work ethic to improve, and the pressure from his countryman to help him push the rock up the hill. If the Celtics take him, I actually could deal with it now, whereas last week I would have jumped off the tobin bridge.

I would prefer Noah. I realize his stock has sunk, but now we know that he has been playing with a damaged rotator cuff. He has the energy, leadership, communication skills and athleticism to be an elite defensive player who can get his points on junk around the rim. The Celts could do alot worse than Noah at #5.

I want Yi. He clearly has the most potential out of every player available after #2. He might not be there though. Something tells me Atlanta might take him. Memphis probably won't since I don't think he'd play there (he & his govt want a city with a Chinese pop). Atlanta has trouble puttign fannies in the seats, and they have a sizable asian community that might buy tickets if they take him. If that happens, we'll end up with Green. That would suck IMO, since we would be reaching, and could easily take a Noah, Green, Thorton later on. If Yi & Horford are gone by the time #5 comes, I'd seriously look at trading down, maybe with Charlotte, for #8 & #22, to Chicago for #9 & a player, or to Philly for #12 & Andre Miller. #12 is late, but we could still get Thorton or Nick Young at #12, and would finally be adding a legitimate veteran PG. That would be a score for Rondo, and for the team moving forward. Philly would then be able to draft Wright, and let him develop over the 2-3 years he'll need.

I agree that the time to trade Pierce is now. It's obvious no big name FAs want to come here, so it's time to blow it up. They've been bad for many years & when we missed out on the top 2 picks in this year's draft we already knew that meant 5 more years of mediocrity.

I don't mind trading PP so long as we get a decent return on the sale. I don't think we are that far off from competing in the East. We have a decent core of youngs in Jefferson, Rondo, Green, West, #5, and we could probably compete with Toronto and Jersey for the division this year. Remember, the Atlantic, or titanic Division, is not overpowering.

I don't mind trading PP so long as we get a decent return on the sale. I don't think we are that far off from competing in the East. We have a decent core of youngs in Jefferson, Rondo, Green, West, #5, and we could probably compete with Toronto and Jersey for the division this year. Remember, the Atlantic, or titanic Division, is not overpowering.

Yeah but no established vets want to come here & Pierce is reportedly going to ask for a trade after the draft. So why not trade him now prior to the draft when his value is still high? The goal shouldn't be to get competitive in the East it should be to compete for a championship.

I want Yi. He clearly has the most potential out of every player available after #2. He might not be there though. Something tells me Atlanta might take him. Memphis probably won't since I don't think he'd play there (he & his govt want a city with a Chinese pop). Atlanta has trouble puttign fannies in the seats, and they have a sizable asian community that might buy tickets if they take him. If that happens, we'll end up with Green. That would suck IMO, since we would be reaching, and could easily take a Noah, Green, Thorton later on. If Yi & Horford are gone by the time #5 comes, I'd seriously look at trading down, maybe with Charlotte, for #8 & #22, to Chicago for #9 & a player, or to Philly for #12 & Andre Miller. #12 is late, but we could still get Thorton or Nick Young at #12, and would finally be adding a legitimate veteran PG. That would be a score for Rondo, and for the team moving forward. Philly would then be able to draft Wright, and let him develop over the 2-3 years he'll need.

Here's the thing about Yi that alot of people seem to be missing: Yi plays with a ****y edge. He likes to dominate and compete. He is superathletic for a big man and has the broad frame to add bulk. I don't like the way he brings the ball down when he has a clear lane to the ball basket, kind of like Perk. The indecision can be annoying. But this kid has some brazen attitude that is going very underappreciated right now. He views the NBA as a challenge and he wants to get in there and fight. This seperates him from many of the passive European big men intimidated by the American style.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back