PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade for T.J. Duckett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unearth

Rookie
Reaction score
There's been rumors recently that the Falcons are shopping Duckett around the league and are looking to get something for him this off-season. I think that T.J. would be a great fit here to back up Dillon and eventually replace Dillon as our future starting RB. He's still very young at 24 and since he hasnt been the full-time starting rb in Atlanta, he hasnt taken much of a pounding. I think that a 3rd or 4th round pick would be enough to get it done. What do you guys think about Duckett and would he be worth that price?

unearth said:
There's been rumors recently that the Falcons are shopping Duckett around the league and are looking to get something for him this off-season. I think that T.J. would be a great fit here to back up Dillon and eventually replace Dillon as our future starting RB. He's still very young at 24 and since he hasnt been the full-time starting rb in Atlanta, he hasnt taken much of a pounding. I think that a 3rd or 4th round pick would be enough to get it done. What do you guys think about Duckett and would he be worth that price?

i am all for a fourth rounder

Duckett is slow as molasses. Dillon may well be down. Lots of tread worn off from those Cincy days. Draft a stud in the first roud or two.

Isn't Duckett the clown who started dancing after he scored a TD vs. the Colts... when his team was getting blown out 38-7?

I like the fun of floating trade ideas but I can't understand exactly what you've seen from this guy to want him at all, except maybe for a freebie.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I like the fun of floating trade ideas but I can't understand exactly what you've seen from this guy to want him at all, except maybe for a freebie.

I have followed him in fantasy football for a few years. He was the man and had a great nose for the endzone in his rookie and sophomore seasons. The reason why you are not seeing his talent is because it is not being showcased. Atlanta changed to the West Coast offense and it does not fit his body or running style. He is huge at 6ft anf 245 lbs. He cannot move, cut, or sprint like Dunn who is puny. Duckett is a truck who can bulldoze through a line and is a good north/south runner.

Digger44 said:
I have followed him in fantasy football for a few years. He was the man and had a great nose for the endzone in his rookie and sophomore seasons. The reason why you are not seeing his talent is because it is not being showcased. Atlanta changed to the West Coast offense and it does not fit his body or running style. He is huge at 6ft anf 245 lbs. He cannot move, cut, or sprint like Dunn who is puny. Duckett is a truck who can bulldoze through a line and is a good north/south runner.

We sure could have used that on 2nd and 2 late in the second quarter of our last game....

4th rounder for duckett, do it in a heartbeat!

I think Duckett is a beast, and his talents are not being shown in Atlanta, as already stated. Duckett is still young, and again as stated, hasn't had a lot of carries, so its not like there is a lot of wear and tear. I would take the chance in a heartbeat by trading a midround pick for somebody who could be a starter for the next few years.

no

don't take duckett. Corey isn't going anywhere an neither if faulk! I also can't imagine them getting rid of pass- they have kept him around this long for a reason. Duckett gets the benefit of running behind a great rushing line--keep corey (can't cut him anyway becuase of salary) and let's address some other issues!

mtbykr said:
don't take duckett. Corey isn't going anywhere an neither if faulk! I also can't imagine them getting rid of pass- they have kept him around this long for a reason. Duckett gets the benefit of running behind a great rushing line--keep corey (can't cut him anyway becuase of salary) and let's address some other issues!

no no none of us are talking about cutting Dillon or faulk or pass. we were throwing around the idea of trading a comp value pick like a 4th. duckett is a great value for a 4th round pick.

Why is it that every time a poster mentions brining another RB on boards, someone chimes in "No way! Dillon, Faulk & Pass aren't going anywhere! Who would you cut!?"

They don't have to go anywhere.

NFL teams usually keep more than 3 RBs on the roster. Any RB we take would replace Evans or Cloud or whatever other street jag is puttering around on the bottom of the roster.

Duckett for a 4th is beyond a no-brainer. He would totally fit our style of offense and would be great splitting time with Dillon and would be a reliable starter if/when Corey goes down sometime in 06.

Even a 3rd is a great deal IMO, considering we have 2.

well

tombonneau said:
Why is it that every time a poster mentions brining another RB on boards, someone chimes in "No way! Dillon, Faulk & Pass aren't going anywhere! Who would you cut!?"

NFL teams usually keep more than 3 RBs on the roster. Any RB we take would replace Evans or Cloud or whatever other street jag is puttering around on the bottom of the roster.

Duckett for a 4th is beyond a no-brainer. He would totally fit our style of offense and would be great splitting time with Dillon and would be a reliable starter if/when Corey goes down sometime in 06.

Here is the reason that i said it! All year all we hear is how corey is slowing down and getting old ect... Then someone brings up a "bigger name" back in the league as possibly coming available and everyone jumps in without actually looking seriously at it. The bottom line is that duckett was the benefit of a superb rushing O-line (the best in the league stats wise). not only that but with Vick at the qb the D had to play less aggressive becuase of the threat that he posed. Put heath evans behind that line and see what happens???

This year our problem was not that we had bad RB's, but that everyone (backs and o-line) was hurt the entire year (or on IR). It's tought to get any chemistry in a running game when you have new parts every week and having duckett would not fix the problem. They are not going to cut corey, faulk and pass aren't going anywhere--so where does that leave duckett? Even if we bring him in i am sure (as long as we are healthy) that there are times where he won't even be active--who knows how he would handle that after being used so frequently in atlanta? The only way i would see him making an impact with this team is if corey goes down hurt and he could step up and play every week. however is it worth throwing a draft pick at him for a back that may play depending on the health of everyone else---especially knowing how well we do in the draft (we are not the jets here)!

Just my $.02

tombonneau said:

We've got players on this team that literally do nothing. No way we can't fit one or even 2 extra RBs if we want to.

I like the type, (bruising back), but I haven't seen Atlanta enough to even come close to judging this guy.

In 2 years we have 3 running backs over 30. I don't want to hold with that hand!

in my opinion we should spend an HIGH draft pick this year at RB.

first round or latest at second round.

Last edited:
mtbykr said:
Here is the reason that i said it! All year all we hear is how corey is slowing down and getting old ect... Then someone brings up a "bigger name" back in the league as possibly coming available and everyone jumps in without actually looking seriously at it. The bottom line is that duckett was the benefit of a superb rushing O-line (the best in the league stats wise). not only that but with Vick at the qb the D had to play less aggressive becuase of the threat that he posed. Put heath evans behind that line and see what happens???

This year our problem was not that we had bad RB's, but that everyone (backs and o-line) was hurt the entire year (or on IR). It's tought to get any chemistry in a running game when you have new parts every week and having duckett would not fix the problem. They are not going to cut corey, faulk and pass aren't going anywhere--so where does that leave duckett? Even if we bring him in i am sure (as long as we are healthy) that there are times where he won't even be active--who knows how he would handle that after being used so frequently in atlanta? The only way i would see him making an impact with this team is if corey goes down hurt and he could step up and play every week. however is it worth throwing a draft pick at him for a back that may play depending on the health of everyone else---especially knowing how well we do in the draft (we are not the jets here)!

Just my $.02

Your bottom line it wrong. Duckett may have had that line for two years however he has been in the league for four. His first two seasons he didn't have the great line and Vick had a broken leg one of the seasons. This was his best season. How do you account for this? Your theory is off. Besides, you are again incorrect when you throw out how he may not be able to function as a role player not being active each week. Excuse me, did you happen to see Atlanta this year, or are you making an opinion based on ignorance? Dunn had +1400 yds this year and Duckett was a role player. Please do your homework before spouting off.

italianpatthepatriot said:
in my opinion we should spend an HIGH draft pick this year at RB.

first round or latest at second round.
well great when we get a high draft pick you let us know. the # 21 and any second rounder is not high enough to get the type of guy you are talking about.

Digger44 said:
well great when we get a high draft pick you let us know. the # 21 and any second rounder is not high enough to get the type of guy you are talking about.

RB has always proven to be a position where you can find stars late in the first round or even later in the draft.

dhamz said:
RB has always proven to be a position where you can find stars late in the first round or even later in the draft.

What you stated is a fact. I cannot dispute this. What I can point you attention to is the difficulty of finding this guy. How do you suppose it is done? Just because a guy is 1st round material doesnt mean he can play in the NFL. When it comes to finding a RB in the draft we have not had much luck at all. Hence the "Dud RB" thread. The chances of us finding that guy are very much stacked against us and any team for that matter. There are no gurentees with a draft pick making a team. There is a much higher percentage of chance that a guy like Duckett would make this team because there is no denying that the guy can play in the NFL. ie Clarrett and a 3rd rounder.

Last edited:
Duckett would probably take over here as our short distance/goal line back, saving some wear and tear on Corey. Also, if we give up even a third rounder, where is it a lock that with that 3rd round pick, we get a good player? While we have had some good drafts, its still not an exact science, so if you can get a good commodity for a pick, then IMO, you have to take it, espically since you do have two aging backs, both who missed time due to injury during the past season.

I look at this deal the same I look at the trade in which the sox traded Hanley Ramirez, somebody considered thier best prospect. Who knows if Hanley was gonna be as good as the hype, but, if you can get a proven performer in Josh Beckett for somebody who could be good, you take it. Same thing with Duckett. I think he would be a good fit, and with our injury history, its good to have a decent amount of talent as back-up, just so we don't have to dredge out Cloud, Zereoue or some other guy off the street barring injuries.

Again, this is not an insult to Corey or Faulk, we won't be dumping them by making this move, this will help us get younger at a key position where we have very little youth ready to step in and play, so if there is an injury, we know we have somebody ready to step into the backfield who has played in the league, was a high pick, just was stuck in the wrong offense for his skill set.

Aldogg said:
Duckett would probably take over here as our short distance/goal line back, saving some wear and tear on Corey. Also, if we give up even a third rounder, where is it a lock that with that 3rd round pick, we get a good player? While we have had some good drafts, its still not an exact science, so if you can get a good commodity for a pick, then IMO, you have to take it, espically since you do have two aging backs, both who missed time due to injury during the past season.

I look at this deal the same I look at the trade in which the sox traded Hanley Ramirez, somebody considered thier best prospect. Who knows if Hanley was gonna be as good as the hype, but, if you can get a proven performer in Josh Beckett for somebody who could be good, you take it. Same thing with Duckett. I think he would be a good fit, and with our injury history, its good to have a decent amount of talent as back-up, just so we don't have to dredge out Cloud, Zereoue or some other guy off the street barring injuries.

Again, this is not an insult to Corey or Faulk, we won't be dumping them by making this move, this will help us get younger at a key position where we have very little youth ready to step in and play, so if there is an injury, we know we have somebody ready to step into the backfield who has played in the league, was a high pick, just was stuck in the wrong offense for his skill set.

bingo we have bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back