PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Deadline: This Tuesday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he isn't. But he is a commodity. Not wanting to play for the Patriots doesn't make him a "punk". It just makes him stubborn wanting to be the highest paid guard in the NFL.

No...he's a b****

Semi OT: Trade Deadline

Not sure if this is semi OT or completely OT, IIRC there have been zero trades leading up to the deadline. What happened to all the "twitter will be on fire" talk?

The only story-line surrounding the deadline is: will Merriman clear waivers and who will go after him?

Christopher Price has a good column on what happens next between the Pats and Mankins, focusing on possible scenarios for the 2010 season. The next big day on the calendar will now be November 16th.

It Is What It Is: What's Next For Logan Mankins and the Patriots?
Mankins is a world-class offensive lineman, someone who, in his five previous seasons in New England, developed a rock-solid reputation as a genuine Pro Bowler. But even if he does report in time to get the time needed to count toward free agency, as well as the New England offensive line has played for the first five weeks of the season, there’ s no indication that he would be able to crack the starting lineup. It seems remarkable to say this, but Mankins would have a fight on his hands, as Dan Connolly has done a more than serviceable job at left guard in Mankins’ absence. In what can best be described as a tribute to Connolly and offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia, the line has yielded eight sacks through the first five games of the season — tied for fifth-lowest in the league.

Some of that is tied to a belief — one the Patriots adhere to — that a successful offensive line is tied to chemistry and continuity, and with the same five players (Left tackle Matt Light, Connolly at left guard, center Dan Koppen, right guard Stephen Neal and right tackle Sebastian Vollmer) having taken almost 100 percent of the snaps as a unit this year, that level of familiarity that’ s been built up over the course of the 2010 is clearly a strength for the current group.

Another boring, useless NFL trade deadline has come and gone. The only trade made, of which I am aware, was Tampa's swapping draft picks with KC in exchange for 2nd-year DE Alex Magee. I'm surprised the Chefs tired of him so quickly.

In the other 3 sports, Trade Deadline Day draws massive interest & coverage. Yet in the smarter-than-thou NFL, only the chirping of crickets is heard. The ad men, lawyers & former j-e-s-t employees in league HQ, after they finish further ****ifying the game, should take some time to rectify this situation.

Last edited:
Another boring, useless NFL trade deadline has come and gone. The only trade made, of which I am aware, was Tampa's swapping draft picks with KC in exchange for 2nd-year DE Alex Magee. I'm surprised the Chefs tired of him so quickly.

In the other 3 sports, Trade Deadline Day draws massive interest & coverage. Yet in the smarter-than-thou NFL, only the chirping of crickets is heard. The ad men, lawyers & former j-e-s-t employees in league HQ, after they finish further ****ifying the game, should take some time to rectify this situation.
Considering how popular the NFL is, why should they change something just for the sake of change? The NFL doesn't have to have trade activity to generate interest and coverage; they already have more interest and coverage than any other sport in North America as things are right now. Why would they feel a need to emulate hockey or baseball?

Because trades make for excellent conversation, and if the deadline is extended later in the season, teams could help themselves if they suddenly find themselves thin at a particular position.

It's a win-win situation all around: for teams, the press, and the fans.

I find it interesting that fans that don't get enough "conversation" from watching and discussing actual nfl games.

If this isn't enough, I suggest watching other sports in addition to, or instead of, nfl football. After all, college football is being played, and there is rumor that the baseball season is still being played.

The nfl product is so good that more people watched the nfl than playoff baseball on Monday night, even though the nfl game was an intra-division matchup of relatively mediocre teams in two of the smallest markets in the nfl. The nfl product does NOT need to be more like other sports.

In any case, fans can discuss how teams are adjusting to their injuries, rather than wishes for trades or player dumps from weak teams.

Because trades make for excellent conversation, and if the deadline is extended later in the season, teams could help themselves if they suddenly find themselves thin at a particular position.

It's a win-win situation all around: for teams, the press, and the fans.

Frankly I'm at a loss that a trade WASN'T made, even for a lower draft pick. There are certainly a number of teams out there who could use a decent OG, let alone an all Pro. No, it makes no sense. In all likelihood, it looks like we will be getting a disgruntled player back the last 6 weeks, who is unlikely to contribute much on the field. A player who will then just leave for true FA next year. How is a 4th round pick or lower better than that.

HOWEVER there is one possible scenario that might explain the lack of action. It could be that the Pats are closer to signing him to a LT contract that will keep him in town, than it appears. Its the only thing I can think of. Anything else doesn't make sense. Something is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back