PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Bait

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are so convince BJGE is the answer.... why did they draft 2 running
backs early and why did they have Clinton Portis in camp for a work out last week?

They drafted two running backs because three of their backs from the previous year were pushing 35 in Morris, Faulk, and Taylor.

They had at least two open roster spots behind Woodhead and BJGE. I'm sure they drafted these guys also with the idea that they would challenge the starters. But I doubt seriously those picks were an indictment of BJGE, who was an extremely valuable player for us last year. He gained a lot of very tough yards and never dropped the ball once.

He has some flaws in that he's not breakaway-fast and he doesn't catch the ball naturally, but he's a really good player. Would it be nice if Ridley or Vereen beat him out and we had a lead back who was better in the passing game? Sure, but BJGE can definitely get the job done.

I have a feeling that although he had 13 touchdowns and 1008 yards
last year, his lack of talent in the passing game and the fact that he will
be a UFA (Unrestriced free agent) after the season, he may be trade bait.

Most of his touchdowns were short yardage scores.

If they were in love with BJGE, why did he only get 9 touches in the
playoff game?

I would never call BJGE a clock killer like Dillon or even Antowain Smith.....

Danny Woodhead touched the ball 20 times in that game.

If he is the future, why did they draft a running back in both the 2nd
and 3rd round this year?

They are not planning on re-signing BJGE... Because they feel that between Ridley, Woodhead and Verren, he is expendable.

Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Olindas Gary, and Reuben Droughns all got
1000+ yards with Denver...... they were all expendable.

BJGE got 9 carries and Woodhead 20 touches because it was a "STUPID" game plan. And, we lost the game because we refused to run the ball. That game hardly vindicates we should use Woodhead more and BJGE less. In fact, the opposite is true. Showed we should use BJGE more and Woody less than we did that game. And, most td's are short yardage for running backs.

i could see you guys trading BJGE because the pats , while doing well on the ground, aren't a team who features one rb for any long amount of time it seems

like that's one of those spots NE really succeeds at plug and play

You guys are idiots.

We trade BJGE. Ridley suffers at season ending injury in week 6. Who is carrying the ball? Woodhead? BJGE? Oh wait, we traded him. Sammy Morris is now our lead RB until he goes on IR two weeks later.

Green-Ellis isn't going to be traded.

This scenario.

Trading one our 2/3 rd tier DL would probably be the way to go. We've got a ton and some decent guys won't make the 53-man roster due only to numbers. Plus, just generally speaking, DL tend to be harder to get (i.e. worth more) than many other positions.

Examples: Brace, Deaderick, Love or D. Richard (or Pryor, but I'd hate to lose him).

But I don't know any specific team that is hurtin for DL or who or what they may have that we'd want. A promising, young Free Safety would be perfect.

Last edited:
I think trades are going to be harder to get value from this year. With the huge number of cuts looming, teams will be more willing to wait and see who's available for free rather than giving up a pick.

As for who the Pats might trade:

QB - No trades here. Mallett needs a year before we can trust him as the backup, so Hoyer's job is safe for now.

RB - None of the older guys have trade value, and as has been mentioned if we trade someone like BJGE, we're one injury away from Woodhead as the feature back. Not ideal.

WR - This is one area where, assuming all six get out of camp healthy, makes sense as trade bait. A team with WR injuries might be willing to part with a pick to make sure they get a young player with upside like Tate or Edelman. If one of those guys is going to end up as our #6 WR, between the TE's and RB's they'll never see the ball anyway.

TE - Nothing.

OL - Doubtful of any trade value amongst the guys we wouldn't want to keep.

DL - LOTS of bodies, but hard to even determine how many we're going to keep (and who they'll be) so hard to say who has trade value.

LB - Same situation as DL, but with less bodies, so no here.

CB - I could see Wilhite or Butler being traded assuming Ras-I shows some progress, but given how important 3rd and 4th corners have become (and how we always seem to suffer a few injuries/regressions amongst CB's every year), I wouldn't be surprised or opposed to see us carry 6. Obviously 5 and 6 would need some ST value though.

S - Too banged up as it is. We need all the ones we've got unless something changes.

Last edited:
Vereen has hands of a WR. They are equal or better than Faulks.
Woodhead, Ridley and even Sammy Morris hands are much better than BJGE.

They may resign him... but with Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen, they
are not going to overpay.

At this point... BJGE should test the market after this season.
He probably only going to get 1 chance at a good pay day.

If he gets a good offer from another team.... He is history.

I am only saying, he may be possible trade bait, because I feel he will
be gone after this year anyways.

And you know this about Vereen how??

No one mentioned overpayment, but a back that never fumbles and seldom gets negative yardage is rare..

He is not a Chris Johnson, but if I were a coach would want this kid on my team.. low maintainence, great attitude and plays better than expected.

With Faulk on PUP, Vereen not practicing, Woodhead got his bell rung last Saturday and Ridley(who fumbled last week) being a rookie they may want to keep him.. this reminds me of the "embarassment of riches that were spoken of about the Red Sox pitching staff at the beginning of the season.

Cannot wait for 9/12 so all this speculation can stop and we can stick to Football..

Last edited:
ron brace for a bag of footballs

butler to oakland for a 4th

Honestly, we're going to need at least 5 CB's I think, and I'd rather keep Butler than Wilhite, even if that means cutting Wilhite rather than getting the pick for Butler.

If some team offered two 1st rounders for law firm, he would be gone. The Seymour experience shows this.

The point about depth is how the depth matches up. As the 5th CB, how does Butler/Whilite match against the opponents 5th WR.

Likewise in trades, how do our bubble guys match against other rotations.

Does anyone not think a Deaderick, Love, Weaston, Richard grouping would not fair favorably to many Dline rotations.

You guys are idiots.

We trade BJGE. Ridley suffers at season ending injury in week 6. Who is carrying the ball? Woodhead? BJGE? Oh wait, we traded him. Sammy Morris is now our lead RB until he goes on IR two weeks later.

Green-Ellis isn't going to be traded.

And we replace him with some guy off the street, and there likely isn't too much difference in performance.

How bout this scenario: We can't cut Brace because what happens if Wilfork goes down. Who is the situational second NT when Love is tired?

Can't cut Merriweather because if Chung gets hurt, and Sanders is old, no one can play FS.

You can make these scenarios up where the starter gets hurt and the depth isn't good enough for every position on the field. Thats a 53 man roster.

The point is, replacing BJGE's performance would be easier than replacing a starter at almost any other position. Runnings backs are mostly fungible.

Disagree --- if Brace is PUPped until Week 6, he is a good 2 down run-stopper to give Wilfork/Haynesworth a breather so they can bring the house on 3rd down with the wall of interior pressure.

Butler right now is either the 5th or 6th corner (McCourty, Bodden, Arrington, Dowling), with not a whole lot of special teams value. If he has trade value, it is for a conditional 6th or a straight up 7th and that is a big IF.

Anyways, the Raiders don't have a trade-able 4th so the greater fool theory falls apart there.

Butler right now is either the 5th or 6th corner (McCourty, Bodden, Arrington, Dowling), with not a whole lot of special teams value. If he has trade value, it is for a conditional 6th or a straight up 7th and that is a big IF.

I would say Butler right now is the 4th CB. We all hope Dowling can step in and be that guy, but he's only had a handful of practices and ZERO game snaps as a rookie in a shortened camp. Penciling him in as the #4 right now is premature.

How bout this scenario: We can't cut Brace because what happens if Wilfork goes down. Who is the situational second NT when Love is tired?

Pryor, Haynesworth, Wright (if he isn't IR'd)

Can't cut Merriweather because if Chung gets hurt, and Sanders is old, no one can play FS.

What about Sergio Brown etc?

You can make these scenarios up where the starter gets hurt and the depth isn't good enough for every position on the field. Thats a 53 man roster.

The point is, replacing BJGE's performance would be easier than replacing a starter at almost any other position. Runnings backs are mostly fungible.

What have you got against BJGE? He is the best RB on the roster at this current time and last season was the top RB in the AFC East, he isn't going anywhere.

Pryor, Haynesworth, Wright (if he isn't IR'd)

What about Sergio Brown etc?

What about Woodhead, etc?

What have you got against BJGE? He is the best RB on the roster at this current time and last season was the top RB in the AFC East, he isn't going anywhere.

I don't have anything against BJGE. He's just a completely average player at the position that is easiest to replace, and at which rookies have the absolute easiest times adjusting to.

As to him being the top runningback in the AFCE, thats a load of crap. He's got a great line in front of him, and thats been a bigger factor than anything hes done himself.

As to him being the top runningback in the AFCE, thats a load of crap. He's got a great line in front of him, and thats been a bigger factor than anything hes done himself.

Maroney had the same line (possibly better with a younger Light and Neal), and didn't have the same success. I don't think you're giving BJGE enough credit.

Greene & LT had arguably the best line in the NFL in front of them and didn't put up the same yards as BJGE so you can't say it's the Patriots line that did all the work, and as already pointed out Maroney had the same line and he failed miserably.

Greene & LT had arguably the best line in the NFL in front of them and didn't put up the same yards as BJGE so you can't say it's the Patriots line that did all the work, and as already pointed out Maroney had the same line and he failed miserably.

According to what?

Mangold is a lot better than Koppen, but other than that, the Patriots were better at almost every spot. The patriots also had significantly better blocking from their TEs.

According to what?

Mangold is a lot better than Koppen, but other than that, the Patriots were better at almost every spot. The patriots also had significantly better blocking from their TEs.

The Jets were better than the Patriots at 3 of the 5 OL spots, and significantly better at 2 of those 5.

While I agree that BJGE isn't a phenomenal RB talent by any stretch, I also agree with those who say you are underestimating his abilities/not giving him enough credit.

He's not who you want as a #1 RB day in and day out, but he's terrific in a RBBC situation, and until Ridley/Vereen show they can 1.) stay healthy and 2.) take a significant number of BJGE's carries, he's worth more to the Patriots this season than any draft pick they'd receive as compensation.

Last edited:
The Jets were better than the Patriots at 3 of the 5 OL spots, and significantly better at 2 of those 5..

Which 3? I'll give you Koppen vs Mangold, but what were the other ones?

Also, you can't ignore the fact that most teams could stack 8 against the Jets without worrying too much about Sanchez.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back