PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

trade aimed at Minnesota's window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian Ponder, Tarvaris Jackson and Joe Webb. Good luck winning with that.

Except Tavaris Jackson is now an unrestricted free agent even though he's still listed on the Vikings site. So for now its just Ponder and Webb along with Patrick Ramsey and Rhett Bomar.

Next year we have 2 1st's, 2 2nd's, 1 3rd, 1 4th, 1 5th. With that in mind, and knowing that Koppen's at the end of the trail, we go after Mike Brewster, OSU (he's been called "another Nick Mangold"), and for the sake of argument, we go after Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall. That takes care of our 2 1st's and 2 2nd round picks. As we did last year, we might be able to bundle our 3rd and 4th round picks for a 2nd next year, might even have to add the 5th round pick in.

To get a 2nd round pick that we can trade for a 1st in 2013, we need a team with a short window of opportunity to win it all. Last year Minnesota went into the draft needing a QB, OT, S, OG/C, CB and OLB. They drafted a QB, they drafted a OG/C and they drafted a CB.

I wrote in to the crew at PFW and they all thought that Jarrad Page could replace Brandon Meriweather without any problems. With the development of Patrick Chung, that makes Sanders expendable. So, the way I figure it, we could offer Minnesota any or all of the following players without hurting the team and would free up some of the money that Logan Mankins' tag would cost: Meriweather (next year his agent's going to ask for the moon), Sanders (too much money for a backup), Kaczur (again, too much money for a backup). We could even throw in Butler or Wilhite.

So, for a 2nd round pick next year, what combination of players would you be willing to trade to Minnesota?

So, your bright idea is to kill the Pats depth at safety (Jarrod Page is a UFA, not an RFA) and kill the Pats depth on the O-line just to get a pick that may or may not be high enough to get Curry?

Also, the NFL doesn't allow money trades like they do in baseball.

This is a fail on so many levels.

Why would Minnesota want to trade with the Patriots after Randy Moss worked out so well for them? You get the feeling the ghosts of Andy Reid MKII Bam Bam Childress is going to haunt Leslie this season.

Christian Ponder, Tarvaris Jackson and Joe Webb. Good luck winning with that.

Tavaris Jackson is a UFA..

We got a receiver from Oakland for a 3rd and a 5th, he stunk and we still trade with Oakland.

The trade might be tough to pull off but that is a bunch of talent for a 2nd round pick, and Meriweather did go to the Pro Bowl two years in a row. I don't believe Minnesota can make a run filling that many spots with rookies.

As far as Jarred Page being 225, it concerned me so that's why I wrote to the guys at PFW, and if memory serves me, didn't Page have 3 interceptions in very little playing time? And we always have a kid named Dowling, with Arrington covering the slot. Plus we have the luxury of picking up a couple of UDFA's and letting them sit and learn.

I guess my big question is: if you were the GM at Minnesota, would you or would you not jump at this trade?

If Belichick was stupid enough to toss 3 quality players at Minnesota for ONLY a 2nd round pick, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. The reality, though, is that Belichick isn't that stupid.

Now, why is it that you believe that Minnesota NEEDS a safety or a guard?
I look at their situation there and, well, they are actually pretty good.

Except Tavaris Jackson is now an unrestricted free agent even though he's still listed on the Vikings site. So for now its just Ponder and Webb along with Patrick Ramsey and Rhett Bomar.

And no rookie camp, OTA's or off season workouts.. this will be a tremendous leap for a rookie QB...

And no rookie camp, OTA's or off season workouts.. this will be a tremendous leap for a rookie QB...

That's why I suspect the Vikings will go after an vet during the free agency window.... and that QB will not be named Favre (aka Lord Favrequad) thank god. As far as I care the Eggles can have Lord Favrequad. Maybe Lord Favrequad can even get Reid fired to bring things to full circle on his career in getting both Reid and Childress fired from their respective head coaching jobs.

Oh and I predict the Vikings in typical fashion will go after.... Donovan McNabb.

Last edited:
If you're a Vikings fan there's only 1 reaction for that information; disgust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes