PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tracking the sun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neckroll#14

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
did any of you read Easterbrooks TMQ today... if there was ever any question about the level of preparation BB strives for:

"The game was a 1 p.m. start in late November, which means declining winter sun may be in a receiver's eyes. From about Veterans Day on, the coach who leaves nothing to chance sends someone to the field the day before the game to chart the sun, as perceived from the field, as it declines during the hours of the contest. Sunday, in the second quarter, a Detroit receiver was sent deep where, looking back, the sun was blinding: drop. New England passes went to shaded areas of the field."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...-games-turkey-day-tuesday-morning-quarterback

Last edited:
It's Greg Easterbrook. I wouldn't believe anything he says w/o independent verification.

Did not read and never will. He sucks.

I'll admit to enjoying TMQ once upon a time. I'll blame that on a dearth in quality football analysis instead of any flaw on my part, if that's OK with you.

I'll admit to enjoying TMQ once upon a time. I'll blame that on a dearth in quality football analysis instead of any flaw on my part, if that's OK with you.
Why wouldn't it be okay with me?

I neglected to add one of these. :)
sarcasm-y-u-no-work-on-internet.jpg

Pretend someone else wrote the paragraph then, since no-one really wants to discuss easterbrook here.. Do you think BB really does this? what is your reaction to this extreme attention to detail?

don't you wish his secrets weren't revealed?

Pretend someone else wrote the paragraph then, since no-one really wants to discuss easterbrook here.. Do you think BB really does this? what is your reaction to this extreme attention to detail?

don't you wish his secrets weren't revealed?
I don't think it's a secret as to how the sun shines in Gillette Stadium during the fall/early winter. BB has been playing his home games there for over a decade. I assume by now he knows where the sun is at certain times. Even I know where it shines during 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. games from simply attending them a few times. I think Easterbrook is full of ****.

It's Greg Easterbrook. I wouldn't believe anything he says w/o independent verification.
That's pretty awesome if true though. And it makes a change from his usual Pats bashing.

so now we know why NE has such a good home field record. They have the 12th man (fans) and now they are using the sun as a 13th factor for the team.

I'm thinking the rest of the league is going to insist on higher walls to block out the glare.

Gillette was laid out with an semi-open perimeter to enable Belichick to scheme defenses based on the angles of the sun. In fact, the stadium is built on a giant turntable, allowing the stadium to be subtly rotated to blind the eyes of both quarterback and receiver at key points in the game. Hard to notice with the crowd screaming and pounding their feet. There's a fascinating documentary on this design on the Architecture Channel. You also get a hint of this in one of the November 2003 games when the team wins a coin flip and Ty Law says "We'll take the sun;" which was picked up on the field mike.

I think the sun was a major factor in the first Gronk drop too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes