Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tracking Ebola

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

I don't know if anyone else is watching this - but it's spreading and, so far, they really don't seem to have that great of a handle on stopping it.

Personally, I'm more than a little concerned. The disease itself is terrible, the infection rate high and the death rate (70%-90%) astronomical compared to other
    communicable diseases.

If it gets anywhere near here, it'll make those diseases we're so worried about at our Southern border look like child's play.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/26/nigeria-death-shows-ebola-can-spread-by-air-travel/20937415/?icid=maing-grid7|htmlws-main-bb|dl2|sec1_lnk3&pLid=507415

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...a-leone-west-africa-sheik-umar-khan/13113437/

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jul/27/us-doctor-liberia-tests-positive-ebola

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Because of our lax policies it will more than likely get here....

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

I wasn't intending this to be yet another way to blame "lax policies," 13. (And yet, in retrospect, I am surprised I did not see this coming.)

Be that as it may, our "policies," here in American hospitals, really did us good in the last most recent pandemic scare.

http://www.comhs.org/community/pr_view.asp?pr=432

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ent-goes-home-search-others-continues-n109171

The latest budget proposal also gave the CDC a budget increase for just such purposes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/01/17/cdc-wins-in-budget-deal.html?page=all

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

We're slowly turning into a third world country it won't be long now before we have all of their problems including their germs, it seems to be what the people want only a few have the courage to speak up and when they do they are accused of racism or some other left wing crap, live with it and don't kiss strangers or funny looking people.
    Yes We Can

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Well, I didn't read through the myriad links above, so I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but Ebola doesn't have a great chance to become a pandemic in advanced countries. As I understand it, Ebola spreads chiefly through poor medical practices and through local customs regarding the touching of the dead. If Ebola DOES find its way here, it should be fairly quickly contained.

My understanding is that it is not an airborne communicable disease either.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

It is not thought to be airborne, however, if you come in contact with the bodily secretions of an infected person, it is communicable. Which means if someone with Ebola is coughing on the bus, and you sit down on a droplet of spit and you have a cut or an abrasion - you can contact Ebola.

It is actually quite easily contacted through person-to-person contact....and a person who recovers stays infectious for a long time. (7 weeks.)

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

There is also always the danger of mutation. Diseases mutate all of the time...and they can do so rapidly.

This is the first time the virus has spread as far and as quickly as it has. It's also the first time it's reached an urban area.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Pretty simple way of preventing it from getting here....Stop any infected immigrants from coming here and check people visiting here from nations where it exists.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

We couldn't do that it would be offensive and cruel, we are kind and gentle even if it kills us, welcome to America we love you.

Don't worry Ebola will be here, Ellis Island is no more, Ellis Island used to be Racist and Offenseive, In The Godfather Movie they detained young Don Corleone because he had a sore throat, liberals would riot over that today.
    We have God only knows what right now coming in with "Obama's Dreamers"

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

1. They're probably not "immigrants." They're probably visitors to our country or citizens of our country returning from visiting an already infected country.

2. How do we "check" everyone getting off a plane or a boat from the countries where the virus exists? An infected person can be asymptomatic for quite a good deal of time. The incubation time can be as long as 3 weeks.

3. Even if you were to "check" everyone - regardless of if they were symptomatic or not but simply based upon where they'd been - where do you quarantine them all while you are awaiting results of their blood work? Who pays for the blood work? Is it even legal to demand blood samples from people based on their travels?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

Fact
    When new germs arrive they will come with Illegal Aliens.

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Mabye it would it make more sense to stop any visits to or from countries that are affected?

Anything is better than just hoping it doesn't come here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I'd funnel flights originating in those countries to certain airports. Quarantine areas can certainly be set up in remaining airports. We can deny entry into this country of any non-citizen for any reason, so that is certainly an option. Even citizens should be quarantined and tested if we're this concerned about it.

This is a national security issue. As for paying for it, there are certainly ways to do it. Think of all the waste we have; it's an issue now, isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Would that really be a problem? They have no trouble holding and paying for all the people coming in from the south.

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

I'm traveling overseas next week, and I've been paying more attention to this than usual because of that. Yikes!

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

RW, drink lots of Red Wine with Pastafazool, I love that stuff..That will keep you safe.

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

It's pretty scary stuff, I think. Liberia is trying to contain it, at least.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28522824

17. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +485 / 7 / -15

well.....you did bring up the southern border

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

When Ebola arrives an Obama Dreamer will deliver it

19. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +485 / 7 / -15

bring anti-bacterial hand goo as well as a container of clorox bleach wipes.......keep some on your person at all times......use a ziploc baggie

and don't forget the immodium

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

There will be conniptions amongst the "usuals" today... as we are flying back two Americans infected with Ebola to be treated here..

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1