PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Toughest QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.jaguars.com/Story/5169.asp

Bill from Ware, MA: I completely agree with you in regards to toughness being just as important as ability. Who do you think are the five toughest quarterbacks in the league today?

Vic: 1.) Brett Favre; he's proven it with his consecutive-games streak. 2.) Tom Brady; he's a closet tough guy. 3.) Ben Roethlisberger; he came back from two significant knee injuries and then led the Steelers on an eight-game winning streak to the Super Bowl title wearing a splinted glove on his right hand to protect a thumb that was thought to require surgery. 4.) Byron Leftwich; nobody is tougher, he just needs dramatic events and wins to prove it. 5.) tie, Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb; they've played hurt and led their teams to great runs.

I'm not sure I'd put Favre at one..but can one think of any QB tougher than those mentioned?? I can't...have to go back to the past..and players like Grogan.

Michael Vick..i mean hes been through injuries and gets up after many injuries and still decides to run..well thats more daring so nevermind. My real vote is McNair

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
Michael Vick..i mean hes been through injuries and gets up after many injuries and still decides to run..well thats more daring so nevermind. My real vote is McNair

I think that he has become less daring through the years. Watching him more recently he looks somewhat tentative when he runs.

zippo59 said:
I think that he has become less daring through the years. Watching him more recently he looks somewhat tentative when he runs.
Fear of pain will do that to you. He will have a short, championship-less career.
Brady is the toughest QB today. He had his best statistical year with a friggin hernia and never said anything. I wonder what his teamates would say. Ben #2. Farvrah #3 but he's done and should have retired this past winter.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
Peyton Manning...

OK...you know that I was just joking.

Well Peyton did play with a broken jaw. Of course that was a few years ago, back when Mora was the coach and would throw a hissy screaming "Playoffs?, Playoff's?"

(That is one of my all time favorite hissy fits.)

I would put Bledsoe on that list instead of McNabb. McNabb LITERALLY and PHYSICALLY choked in the big game - T.O. (@ss that he is ) wasn't lying.

Remember Bledsoe led that 4th Qtr comeback with a broken finger on his throwing hand? Poor guy just holds on to the ball to this day and gets killed. Tough bastard though.

Peyton has never missed a game. Despite that, he's still a little bit of a whiner.

I gotta say, I would see Leftwich as tougher than Favre or Roethlisberger.

Who can forget the game, when playing for Marshall against Akron. You all know the story.... gets a shin injury in the 1st quarter... tries to re-enter... coach says no... goes to the hospital....x-ray is negative... goes back to the stadium.. re-enters the game.... throws for 307 yds in half a game on a gammy leg so badly hurt his offensive linemen had to carry him to the line of scrimmage on most plays.

The man is built from concrete.

NEM said:
Y.A. Tittle
time2.jpg

I have to agree with this, never forget his bloody face after some game long ago.... that is a vision that sticks in my mind and personifies toughness..

mikey said:

Bill from Ware, MA: I completely agree with you in regards to toughness being just as important as ability. Who do you think are the five toughest quarterbacks in the league today?

Vic: 1.) Brett Favre; he's proven it with his consecutive-games streak. 2.) Tom Brady; he's a closet tough guy. 3.) Ben Roethlisberger; he came back from two significant knee injuries and then led the Steelers on an eight-game winning streak to the Super Bowl title wearing a splinted glove on his right hand to protect a thumb that was thought to require surgery. 4.) Byron Leftwich; nobody is tougher, he just needs dramatic events and wins to prove it. 5.) tie, Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb; they've played hurt and led their teams to great runs.

Any list like this with McNair and not Bledsoe is not a correct list. Aside from the time he almost died in the Jets game, he's never really been hurt. And he takes a freakin' pounding. I mean, we've all see it. He gets hit from every direction, can't get out of the way of his own shadow, and then gets up every time.

This McNair (Iverson in hoops is the same) is tough thing has always driven me crazy. What does "he plays hurt" mean? It means he's always hurt. He's missed alot of time being out hurt. And when he's not out, he's hobbling, although playing. I don't consider somebody tough, if every time you touch them they get a boo boo. If I see him roll around in pain one more time, while the commentator talks about how tough he is, I'm going to puke. Get up you sissy.

If you have two QBs. One gets hurt on ever other play, and one gets pancaked twice as much, and never gets hurt, WHO'S TOUGHER????

mikey said:

I would agree with Farve, Brady, I would consider more gutsy than tough. Roethlisberger, maybe in time, Leftwich I agree with. Mcnair, I don't understand how getting hurt every time you get hit makes you tough. Other qbs get hit and just get up and go on to the next play. Mcnair has to make a big deal out of every time he gets a hang nail. That being said, I think Tennessee treated him terrible this off season.

Buffalo Bills QB Joe Ferguson was one tough SOB and he wasnt that big of a guy. Sort of wiry. QB's didnt have the rules protecting them in those days.

Bostonian1962 said:
Any list like this with McNair and not Bledsoe is not a correct list. Aside from the time he almost died in the Jets game, he's never really been hurt. And he takes a freakin' pounding. I mean, we've all see it. He gets hit from every direction, can't get out of the way of his own shadow, and then gets up every time.

If only Bledsoe had been mentally tough (an I mean mentally as in not making stupid decision that cost your team.)

For the oldies, remember Bradshaw getting blasted before they "put dresses on the qb". I remember the one time when he completely flipped over on a hit from a Raider, I think.

I hate to say it, but I think you have to include Drew Bledsoe in a list of tough QB's. In my opinion, Favre is just an embarrassment and needs to realize the parade has passed him by. GB has a good QB in the wings in Rodgers and he has to sit behind this guy and his ego? Give me a break.

Running QBs (McNair, Vick, McNabb, etc) are always going to get hurt. That doesn't necessarily make them tough.

I'd put McNabb on that list for his mental toughness, as well, and also Steve Young. How many concussions did that guy need to take??

I wouldn't say McNabb is tough. I would say Brady is though. He played half the season with a sports hernia which required surgery and told nobody. When other players make their injuries public Brady and the Pats said nothing about it and he played through an injury that McNabb was put on the IR for. I would say that's pretty tough. Especially since he led the league in yards with a mangled OLine too.

Hoodie said:
If only Bledsoe had been mentally tough (an I mean mentally as in not making stupid decision that cost your team.)

Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back