PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

toughest playoff game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirtsleeve

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This could be the toughest game the Pats have ever faced in the playoffs. The opposition has a brutal running game. Play physical ball, top rated defense, a QB who has been extremely efficient, kicked our butts earlier this year....woaaa...deja-vu all over again! Isn't that what was being said last year before the AFCCG aigainst the Squealers?

In Bill I trust!!! :singing:

shirtsleeve said:
This could be the toughest game the Pats have ever faced in the playoffs. The opposition has a brutal running game. Play physical ball, top rated defense, a QB who has been extremely efficient, kicked our butts earlier this year....woaaa...deja-vu all over again! Isn't that what was being said last year before the AFCCG aigainst the Squealers?

In Bill I trust!!! :singing:

Good point. Not only last year but in 2001.

I think our toughest PO game ever was the SB vs. the Panthers. I don't see this being tougher.

Against the Steelers the Pats knew Rothlisberger wasn't going to throw more than 16 times. They just had to stop the run.

I would say SB36 was the Pats toughest playoff game. The Rams offense was all world, their defense was good that year, and the Pats didn't have the talent to match.

Willie55 said:
Against the Steelers the Pats knew Rothlisberger wasn't going to throw more than 16 times. They just had to stop the run.

Good points, all. But the interesting thing here is that this year's Broncos are so much like last years Steelers. The snake hasn't thrown the ball many times in their victories this year either. When he did, they lost. Also, the Broncos have this years big run game aura. And they blitz on almost every play...etc.
The comparisons are downright eerie...

And look what we did as 'dogs to the Steelers in last year's AFCCG!

In Bill I still trust. :rocker:

i think your most difficult game was against the raiders when you where helped by the most questionable call ive seen in a long while. you know the one ;) but hopefully your right and we (the broncos) will win

Last edited:
HidEmu said:
i think your most difficult game was against the raiders when you where helped by the most questionable call ive seen in a long while. you know the one ;) but hopefully your right and we (the broncos) will win

HidEmu, you're on the Broncos? Wow, that's cool. I'm surprised you brought up the Tuck Rule, no one usually mentions it to Pats fans. I guess it was kind of silly for the referee to call a play exactly how the rule book states it.

yeah I think this will be a pretty tough game

bort said:
Sb XX !! Tough game.

i agree. the toughest...

let's hope after 20 years perhaps...

I'm more concerned about our NEXT game, to be honest. I'm not worried about Pittsburg, but then I don't really think they have much of a chance to win (unless the Colts come out playing badly). That it's finally Indy's year is what I'm worried about. I think THAT'll be our toughest playoff game.

We do have to make it past this one first, though.

Last edited:
this one is always the toughest, as it has always been for bb.

NEM said:
This is a very tough game but very winnable. Key is not to fall behind.
I think you are wrong. The key is not to fall *too* *far* behind -- 10 points max. 10 or less, no problem catching up. When they get ahead they will be more likely to run and I have great faith we can stop their run.

alamo said:
I think you are wrong. The key is not to fall *too* *far* behind -- 10 points max. 10 or less, no problem catching up. When they get ahead they will be more likely to run and I have great faith we can stop their run.

If the Pats take the lead it makes the Broncos one dimensional. They will have to pass and I don't think Jake can win all by himselfr. If the Broncos take the lead they will kill us with their play action, just like the first game.

Willie55 said:
If the Pats take the lead it makes the Broncos one dimensional. They will have to pass and I don't think Jake can win all by himselfr. If the Broncos take the lead they will kill us with their play action, just like the first game.
I also disagree that our getting the lead takes them out of their running game. What takes them out of their game is one thing and one thing only: stopping their runs. A few 3-and-outs will do wonders to make them pass more, and to cut down the threat of play-action.

A good team like the Broncos will not easily give up what they do well just because they get behind. If the run is the Broncos' strength and it's more or less working then until time gets too short they will use the run to try to catch up.

I always thought the Titans game in '03 was the toughest game the Pats have played in the last 5 years.

Seeing as how you are going to lose tomorrow, then yeah, I guess you could call it the toughest playoff game ever.

BusterTBronco said:
Seeing as how you are going to lose tomorrow, then yeah, I guess you could call it the toughest playoff game ever.

I don't know, people who make unsubstantiated assumptions often end up on the short end of the stick Buster. So, which playoff game was the Broncos toughest ever? They've lost so many recently, not to mention all the ones they lost with Elway, I'll give you time to mull your answer. If I don't hear back from you by tomorrow night I'll just make my own assumption.

You remind me of a little Chargers fan who used to come around here making all sorts of wild assumptions based on the results of a regular season matchup. I guess he/she/it is probably right where I predicted this week - on the beach. Do you ski Buster?

Yea, I agree about the lead thing. The one thing as a Denver fan I worry about is a team with a lead. I was really nervous about Jake Plummer this year. And his throwing less has of course lead to less mistakes, but he really is playing better than last year. He throws it away instead of throwing it up for grabs, or will take the sack, instead of trying to make something happen.

But I still really am not sold on the guy. If we have to play catch-up, we could be in big trouble. Denver has played with the lead a lot this year, and that is how they have won. Controlled the clock, run the ball. If you have the lead, you can do these things. If we don't have the lead, we have to change our gameplan. And I don't even want to think what might happen if we have to do that. :(

Jake being better this year doesn't mean Jake is great. Brady is no doubt the better QB between the two. But we have a very balanced team. As long as we have the lead, I think we can control the game. So guess it remains to be seen who can score first. Personally, I'm hoping that this being our first playoff game in our new digs, we are going to be extremely rowdy, and perhaps throw the Pats off their game. :singing:

Guess we'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey