PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tough Decision Coming Up For Patriots Between Mallett, Hoyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough Decision Coming Up For Patriots Between Mallett, Hoyer
By: Ian Logue

The battle of the back-ups didn't leave a clear winner this preseason....

Difficult decision? If two players are competing for one position, play equally well, and one is less expensive and undercontract for more years, how difficult can this be?

Re: Tough Decision Coming Up For Patriots Between Ma llett, Hoyer

Mallett has the much higher upside. He's shown flashes of improvement.
In my eyes, I think he's our #2.

i dont get it. one guys will dress as the backup, the other guy will be there as the emergency 3. neither will ever play hopefully.

If something happens to Brady, one will start to play. If he sucks, the other will quickly get a chance. I don't see how Hoyer could start a few games and suck and not see Mallett come in to replace him; or vice versa.

Really, unless there is talk about actually cutting one I don't get what the big deal is. Is there talk about actually cutting one? Why would you with the emergency QB not counting against the active roster?

I'm going with Hoyer. Neither have looked good this preseason. But Hoyer's high point was against Houston in 2009, wk 17.....

Remember? Brady played the opening drive (where Welker got injured). Then they subbed in Hoyer; who actually played better than Tom Brady, imo. Sure, Houston was indeed awful that year. But Hoyer was playing with backups, so it was Houston's 1s vs NE's 2s. So anyways, Brady was later subbed back in (to get acquainted with Edelman) and Tom really didn't do jack. Lack of effort due to it being wk 17? Ok. But when Hoyer, once again, was subbed back in; he moved the ball down-field better than Brady was previously doing. I know it's just one game, but it counts for something.

Not trying to blow that game out of proportion, but that's what I'd ideally want out of a backup. Hoyer had to enter, exit, and re-enter the game; and looked good the whole time.

Came in for mop up in the closing minute of the last game of last season and got Gronk his record setting catch on one try.

He didn't have to beat Mallett this pre season. He owned him in camp FWIW. Mallett needed to beat him, and that didn't happen. Mallett isn't as bad as he was last season. He also isn't as good as some seem to think that makes him... He's a work in progress. I'm still not convinced he ever progresses far enough to take over here even in a pinch in a real live game situation. I do think Hoyer can. He may never be a franchise QB, but neither may Mallett. And Hoyer is a lot better suited to run this offense as closely as possible to the way Brady would as presently constituted. Mallett said it himself last night when Burton blew smoke up his ass ridiculously. He doesn't like the concept of game manager. He'd revert to form in pretty short order as a result. And that won't fly here.

I hope Bill was doing his very best to prop up the chip. Otherwise, I will again question his capacity to identify the traits he requires at the position absent good fortune... Josh was instrumental in identifying Hoyer and placing a watch on him out of HS in Ohio. Belichicik said they knew the day they brought him in here that he would be the #2 backup as a rookie because he grasped the offense intuitively. Cassel never played a snap at the position in college but a former scout pushed them to consider him based on his widely ignored pro day performance. Norm Chow never forgave that. Mallett will always have the higher generic measurables grade. He outgraded Brady. Rohan probably did too. Not to mention Bledsoe. Lots of guys have. None of whom can efficiently run this offense. Cassel and Hoyer could early on. Go figure.

If it comes down to a money or roster space decision, this OL better come together in a hurry and stay healthy.

i dont get it. one guys will dress as the backup, the other guy will be there as the emergency 3. neither will ever play hopefully.

If something happens to Brady, one will start to play. If he sucks, the other will quickly get a chance. I don't see how Hoyer could start a few games and suck and not see Mallett come in to replace him; or vice versa.

Really, unless there is talk about actually cutting one I don't get what the big deal is. Is there talk about actually cutting one? Why would you with the emergency QB not counting against the active roster?

But there is among fans and some media on the same level as there was with Cassel in 2008. And if that had happened we'd have had our first losing season in the Belichick era behind us. But whatever...

They changed the rules. Now you get to dress 46 players, but your third QB, if you elect to have one, counts against the 46.

A perspective at one end of the spectrum

hoyer showed nothing.....especially not the ability to make the throws needed to run this offense (as you put it) .

Came in for mop up in the closing minute of the last game of last season and got Gronk his record setting catch on one try.

He didn't have to beat Mallett this pre season. He owned him in camp FWIW. Mallett needed to beat him, and that didn't happen. Mallett isn't as bad as he was last season. He also isn't as good as some seem to think that makes him... He's a work in progress. I'm still not convinced he ever progresses far enough to take over here even in a pinch in a real live game situation. I do think Hoyer can. He may never be a franchise QB, but neither may Mallett. And Hoyer is a lot better suited to run this offense as closely as possible to the way Brady would as presently constituted. Mallett said it himself last night when Burton blew smoke up his ass ridiculously. He doesn't like the concept of game manager. He'd revert to form in pretty short order as a result. And that won't fly here.

I hope Bill was doing his very best to prop up the chip. Otherwise, I will again question his capacity to identify the traits he requires at the position absent good fortune... Josh was instrumental in identifying Hoyer and placing a watch on him out of HS in Ohio. Belichicik said they knew the day they brought him in here that he would be the #2 backup as a rookie because he grasped the offense intuitively. Cassel never played a snap at the position in college but a former scout pushed them to consider him based on his widely ignored pro day performance. Norm Chow never forgave that. Mallett will always have the higher generic measurables grade. He outgraded Brady. Rohan probably did too. Not to mention Bledsoe. Lots of guys have. None of whom can efficiently run this offense. Cassel and Hoyer could early on. Go figure.

If it comes down to a money or roster space decision, this OL better come together in a hurry and stay healthy.

Last edited:
Trade Hoyer, he sucks, hopefully for a 3rd round pick, if we can sucker someone, and then sign Vince Young (way better than Hoyer).

Last edited by a moderator:

hoyer showed nothing.....especially not the ability to make the throws needed to run this offense (as you put it) .

He made a couple just last night that didn't count through no fault of his...

Mallett threw for 40 last night. He made some bad decisions and he started down his receivers. They didn't let him make any big throws, they asked Hoyer to twice.

That's simply not true.

You can turn this into another 30 page extravaganza but the bottom line here is that it really isn't a tough decision at all. Bill will make it, announce it, and NOTHING will happen that ultimately affects the product on the field (in all likelihood....knock on wood) He will make dozens of OTHER decisions over the next 48 hours that will have much bigger effects on the product on the field.

This back up QB situation only matters if Brady isn't playing....and even then it's subject to change.

Trade Hoyer, he sucks, hopefully for a 3rd round pick, if we can sucker someone, and then sign Vince Young (way better than Hoyer).

Vince Young ?
If we wanted someone with bad mechanics why don't we just trade for Tebow:D

He made a couple just last night that didn't count through no fault of his...

Mallett threw for 40 last night. He made some bad decisions and he started down his receivers. They didn't let him make any big throws, they asked Hoyer to twice.

you've said pretty much the same thing ever time.....you see what you want to see......it is never hoyer's fault, but it is always mallet's fault.........faulty logic

what plays were called may have to do with the fact that mallet was playing against starters and hoyer was playing against guys who will not be there in a week...but probably not in your opinion

Last edited:
you've said pretty much the same thing ever time.....you see what you want to see......it is never hoyer's fault, but it is always mallet's fault.........faulty logic

Someone is always at fault. But like Bill said last week, it's not as simple as fans tend to want to make it where the QB is always at fault on a drop or a throw or a pick while every score is the result of good play. Simply not the case. Although the knee jerk reaction is often just that.

Last edited:
Someone is always at fault. But like Bill said last week, it's not as simple as fans tend to want to make it where the QB is always at fault on a drop or a throw or a pick while every score is the result of good play. Simply not the case. Although the knee jerk reaction is often just that.

LOL....but you get to decide when and who gets the blame? doesn't work that way.

neither guy is going anywhere.......we'll see how it goes during the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye