PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

total speculation: Meyer as advisor to Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
As I watch news come in that BB Binky Urban Eyer will leave coaching due to heart problems, I wonder if the Gator situation comes out doubly good for the Patriots.

We're already breathing a sigh of relief that Will Muschamp...another BB confidant...will take over a "pipeline" team for us. Now that Meyer won't be able to coach and isn't exactly media friendly, perhaps a safe, lowkey, healthy landing spot might be as a consultant in Foxboro. Either way, with a draft approaching in which we have 5 of the top 75 picks, I'm thrilled Meyer won't be tied up with a bigtime ncaa job, recruiting, etc...

Last edited:
As I watch news come in that BB Binky Urban Eyer will leave coaching due to heart problems, I wonder if the Gator situation comes out doubly good for the Patriots.

We're already breathing a sigh of relief that Will Muschamp...another BB confidant...will take over a "pipeline" team for us. Now that Meyer won't be able to coach and isn't exactly media friendly, perhaps a safe, lowkey, healthy landing spot might be as a consultant in Foxboro. Either way, with a draft approaching in which we have 5 of the top 75 picks, I'm thrilled Meyer won't be tied up with a bigtime ncaa job, recruiting, etc...

I love the idea and hope it happens.

Total speculation Josh McDaniels comes back as OC.

I think that if Urban Meyer was to come back to football....and there is no reason to see why he would right now (the guy walked away from 20 million dollars)...I could definately see him working with a his good friend Bill Belichick in some fashion.

He wouldn't have to be "the main man"...he could focus on one thing and I think he could do very well.

Wouldn't mind that scenario at all.

More likely he ends up wherever Tebow does (and that may not remain Denver depending on who gets the HC and GM gigs there) in some capacity to coach his college system (which is the prevailing one in college these days) and prove/disprove it is truly viable in the NFL. While we've dabbled with his concepts, we don't run that offense as a base and we never will. We are presently in fact increasingly returning to our roots FWIW.

BB may get together with Meyer to discuss players, but I don't see Meyer being involved at anytime in the near future. I watched the interview he did on ESPN and he was dead set against doing anything football related for the foreseeable future. His primary focus was going to be his family and his health..

Ok, complete and utter over the top speculation.

Belichick and Brady win 1 or 2 more Super Bowls over the next 4 years. Both their contracts are up...Brady takes his 5 rings and retires. Belichick becomes football czar and hires Urban Meyer as new HC of NEP. Belichick then trades for Tebow with whatever team he is a backup for, and the Tebow/Meyer connection lead our team back to the glory land again.

Ok, complete and utter over the top speculation.

Belichick and Brady win 1 or 2 more Super Bowls over the next 4 years. Both their contracts are up...Brady takes his 5 rings and retires. Belichick becomes football czar and hires Urban Meyer as new HC of NEP. Belichick then trades for Tebow with whatever team he is a backup for, and the Tebow/Meyer connection lead our team back to the glory land again.

This would be an excellent post in Bizarro world. Tebow is not and probably never will be a starting quality QB in the NFL. Brady may be considered the best of all time when all is said and done so I wouldn't exactly be hoping for this scenario. Meyer is retiring from coaching because he has a bad heart so he probably won't be taking a job that will require him to work more.

This would be an excellent post in Bizarro world. Tebow is not and probably never will be a starting quality QB in the NFL. Brady may be considered the best of all time when all is said and done so I wouldn't exactly be hoping for this scenario. Meyer is retiring from coaching because he has a bad heart so he probably won't be taking a job that will require him to work more.

You saw the part that said "complete and utter over the top speculation", right?

It is a near certainty that Meyer will be consulted about the 2011 draft but whether this blossoms into a more official capacity as a college consultant is anyone's guess. Remember that there is the Chad Jackson whiff and the (hopefully not) Brandon Spikes whiff. I doubt that he will be brought on to coach.

As far as Josh McDaniels coming back as OC I think it would be great but the Patriots would then have to weather a sh**-storm of spygate coverage...again. Ugh. Not sure it is worth it. I think so; it would send the Bill Polian crew and other teams into a paroxysm of paranoia; they would have to bring the portable Cone of Silence into the locker room.

cone.jpg

There is no "pipeline"...th patriots don't limit themselves to a few schools where they have relationships and schools have no way of getting players to the patriots instead of other teams if those other teams draft them ahead.

The most a "friend" like Meyer could do is give them informatin about which players are bums and which are hard workers...kind of an inside scoop.

And Tebow is a hopeless case. He's useless as a pro QB. Meyer coaching Tebow up so he can win SBs in NE? As another poster said, in a bizarro world maybe.

Dan Lebatard, on his daily radio show in S. Florida, reported that he has a source closely connected to Meyers...and his source said that Meyers will NEVER coach again. We'll see about that.
Thought this nugget was more interesting...Steve Young was being interviewed on ESPN 760 AM in W. Palm Beach, and he stated that if the Patriots could win the Super Bowl this year, then he would consider these years of Patriots dominance as the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL. His reasoning...the new era of free agency does not allow teams to remain great for extended periods of time, yet the Patriots continue to dominate. He was gushing on about the Pats organization and Brady.

Last edited:
Yeah... that's never going to happen.

This was a great idea until everyone started expanding and modifying it. Why not be a consultant to NEP from Florida? Why not look at game tape, scout for the draft, talk a little scheme, all from his living room couch while the kids are in school?

He could make several thousand dollars a month just doing what comes naturally, without adding any stress or interrupting his new lifestyle.

There is no "pipeline"...th patriots don't limit themselves to a few schools where they have relationships and schools have no way of getting players to the patriots instead of other teams if those other teams draft them ahead.

The most a "friend" like Meyer could do is give them informatin about which players are bums and which are hard workers...kind of an inside scoop.

And Tebow is a hopeless case. He's useless as a pro QB. Meyer coaching Tebow up so he can win SBs in NE? As another poster said, in a bizarro world maybe.

Meyer has given Belichick access to Gator practices and even allowed him to speak to his team. It is not a coincidence that 3 gators (well actually only 2 today) were hand picked by BB after engaging with them behind the scenes.

It would be funny if BB gives Meyer sh!t about that speedster wideout that was recommended a few years back, one of the only times I've seen BB trade up in the first few rounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey