Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Could the Patriots have traded up to #6 ?

• Maybe (25% chance) and I'd have liked it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe (25% chance) and I'd have hated it

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No Chance but I'd have liked it

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No Chance and I'd have hated it

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is JUST FOR FUN.

I read this about the Browns :

Later that afternoon, an even crazier hypothetical spontaneously emerges: The Browns consider trading tonight's no. 6 pick to a marquee franchise, in exchange for a second-round pick tomorrow, a first-round pick in 2014, another first-round pick in 2015, and two other future selections.

Chuck Klosterman on draft day in Cleveland - Grantland

What do you think about the Patriots being that marquee franchise and would have traded up for Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah :

Evidence For :

The Patriots are a marquee franchise.
Belichick has a good relationship with Mike Lombardi.
The Patriots drafted a similar "joker" player in Collins.
Belichick probably thinks we could recoup a pick by trading Mallett next offseason.
We had Jordan and Ansah in a few weeks before the draft.

Evidence Against :

Belichick would never trade those future picks.

I am fascinated by the possibility. I know visits mean little. I know Bill has NEVER traded a future pick to move up since he came to N.E. But we took a similar player; with such a young nucleus it is possible that Belichick thought he could afford to lose a few future picks and thought that the joker player would be the final piece he needed. With Jordan and Ansah going before #6 it's moot and any potential deal is off.

It would be a lot to give up but they'd be low #1s and if Bill though he could get a mid #2 for Mallett he'd only be moving down half a round next year. Also he would be trading the #2 this year not the #1 so he could trade down from the #1 to recoup a quantity of picks like he ended up doing anyway.

Disregarding the Kraft/Belichick philosophy and strictly looking at this from an individual's personal viewpoint, the question of whether or not you would have been in favor of this trade really comes down to how much one values short term success versus long term competitiveness.

The wild card in that debate of course is that so often heard phrase, 'window is closing'. That primarily refers to the length of time Tom Brady will remain productive; it also refers to another unknown, which is the length of time that Bill Belichick will want to remain the team's head coach and/or head of football operations.

If the trade offer truly was made, then the fact that Belichick did not accept it tells me that either (a) he is not planning on whisking Linda away from Foxboro and retiring anytime soon, or (b) that he values the concept of handing the team off in good shape for his successor more than he values placing all his chips on the table with a win at all costs attitude.

Last edited:
If the trade offer truly was made, then the fact that Belichick did not accept it tells me that either (a) he is not planning on whisking Linda away from Foxboro and retiring anytime soon, or (b) that he values the concept of handing the team off in good shape for his successor more than he values placing all his chips on the table with a win at all costs attitude.

Or that he wanted Jordan or Iggy and neither one made it to #6. Again, I think it's AT BEST 25% that the Patriots would be involved but as we took a similar player it intrigues the heck out of me.

If I had to guess the marquee franchise that was willing to make that kind of deal I would have guessed Ravens, 49ers, Giants, Falcons in that order. No way the Pats trade 1 future first rounder let alone 2!

I voted I'd love it. Hear me out!
Personally I did not love anyone that high, but if it happened they did and I defer to them. A higher pick is generally a better player. Generally. Theoretically. Usually. Sometimes. Any other qualifier you can think of.

Unless you have a big time QB prospect fall to 6 and you think he's your franchise guy, you don't trade up like that. It just costs WAY too much and it's just really really really risky.

If I had to guess the marquee franchise that was willing to make that kind of deal I would have guessed Ravens, 49ers, Giants, Falcons in that order. No way the Pats trade 1 future first rounder let alone 2!

Doubt it's the Ravens, completely against their MO.
Giants have too many holes to be able to afford to do that.

Falcons maybe
49ers most likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes