Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tort Reform

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Gainzo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How silly is this. Has anyone ever heard of this guy?

Rachel Maddow Sued By Christian Rocker Bradlee Dean
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

Bradlee Dean

He's the jackass who showed up at the MN House in a tracksuit and delivered a "prayer" that embarrassed the Republicans who had invited him -- they offered up a complete apology and repudiation of him.
  3. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As I said. Never heard of the guy. What a douchebag.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

Ironic that due to the Trial Lawyer $$$$ which almost exclusively goes to the dems they block all attempts at Tort reform.
  5. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

I guess pubbies want "tort reform" because they're in the pocket of big business...

----------

But your attempt at deflection doesn't change the fact that Bradlee Dean is a bigoted jackass.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

If you were conversant with the figures you would see that Obama got more $$$ from big corps. especially Wall St.

Don't know anything about the guy never heard of him till this post. It is fun to see people hoisted in their petards since the party she supports encourages frivolous lawsuits with their unwavering support of the Trial Lawyers.
  7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Agreed. Doucherific. The pinnacle of douchebaggery.
  8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Trial law isn't a big business?
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Exactly what I was going to say (hoist on their own petard).
  10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

"If you were conversant with the figures" -- funny stuff, 13

PLEASE tell me you're going to portray Obama as the big business president. This should be fun.

Who's being hoisted in their own petards?

Maybe effective tort reform could get somewhere if the big business pubbies didn't show their disdain for our system of justice with their attempts at arbitrary caps on legitimate awards.

----------

None of this changes the fact that Bradlee Dean is a bigoted jackass.
  11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

Did I say every big business?
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The only language corporations understand is $$$$. Those who favor tort reform, as they call it, are simply doing what they can to make it easier for big corporations to pay legal fees rather than to engage in reform. Of course, the more insidious goal is to try to undermine the Democratic Party's funding, since those lawyers who fight for the little guy are more often than not Democrats.

The attack on trial lawyers, in my opinion, is an attacked on women, blacks, gays, working people, senior citizens, the disabled, and others who are discriminated against by the corporations and other powerful entities. In other words, the attack on trial lawyers, for many conservatives, is simply part of the bigots war being waged by Tea Party activists. That said, pf, I find it hard to understand why someone like you would oppose the language of the corporate world (money) as a tool for fighting for justice. Sure, there are occasionally ridiculous settlements, but those are no more ridiculous than the occasional golden parachute for the incompetent executive. Most settlements are reasonable and often lead to constructive change.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And there you have it, folks. If you support tort reform, you're a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe, etc. :rolleyes:

Patters, next time you're wondering why no one takes you seriously, take a look at this post of yours I've quoted. I honestly don't think you're even capable of writing a post that doesn't include either (A) calling conservatives bigots or (B) your usual jealousy fueled class warfare "raise taxes on the rich" routine.
  14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Why is "jackpot justice" pretty much unique to the U.S., then?

Multi-millionaire ambulance-chasers are the last line of defense for the vulnerable in society? Cool story.
  15. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

What language do trial lawyers speak? Are they volunteers?
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Yes, most of those who support tort reform are bigots, though there are also those who support tort reform because they feel bad for corporations or want to hurt funding for the Democrats. Your personal attack that "no one takes me seriously" and your baseless projection that I have jealousy for the rich are, in my opinion, out of line.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

Another trite, albeit predictable response...

They have implemented tort reform in Texas, and is has proven to be quite successful for the medical establishment and insurers.. but nothing has trickled down to the consumer.

The reality is that tort reform in its present state only benefits a select few, but sounds nice in theory.

Texas Law Capping Medical Malpractice Awards Hasn't Cut Health Care Costs | InjuryBoard

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The true ambulance chasers are few and far between. Most of them choose cases with legitimate grievances. It's not tort reform that needs to be addressed, but the more complex issue which allows seemingly anyone to sue anyone for anything. As far as jackpot justice goes, it does lead to many constructive changes. A major company would rather change its behavior than risk substantial settlements; but if the settlements were small, they might not change their behaviors. There's a case in another state working its way through the courts where many black firefighters were discriminated against for years by a white supremacist boss (who would launch bogus investigations into their work, since while they were under investigation, they could not be promoted). These men are owed a lot of money, not only for the economic loss, but for the demeaning way in which they were treated. If the settlement is substantial, then chances are the locality where this happened will reform itself.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  20. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

So right-wingers are irredeemable racists, but change is possible if only they are sued? Isn't discrimination like that already against the law? Why have an EEOC if you want to rely on civil suits to enforce equal treatment requirements?

What you don't see are the products and services that aren't produced because the risk of liability is either too great or too difficult to assess.