Welcome to PatsFans.com

Toronto terror plot foiled -- Canada

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Zuma, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Zuma

Zuma Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wonder how much money Canada spends on anti-terrorism and how many of their soldiers have died preventing this possible catastrophe.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/06/03/canada.terror/index.html

TORONTO, Ontario (CNN) -- Canadian police on Saturday said they have prevented a major al Qaeda-inspired terror plot to attack targets in southern Ontario.

Twelve adults and five young people were arrested, authorities said.
    "This group took steps to acquire three tons of ammonium nitrate and other components necessary to create explosive devices," said Royal Canadian Mounted Police Assistant Commissioner Mike McDonell in a statement.

"To put this in context, the 1995 bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people took one ton of ammonium nitrate."
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Talk about twisted logic. Stopping a terrorist attack without trying to stop it worldwide means that trying to stop it worldwide is useless.

We may not be successful but we are trying to stop the scourge of terrorism forever. Remember that.
  3. Zuma

Zuma Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Huh? It was a question...not a statement. My question is how much money was spent by the Canadian govt and how many Canadian soldiers lives were lost in stopping these Iraqi terrorists on Canadian soil? That's a question.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

And how does war stop terrorism? Could we use the same approach to stop murder? drug use?
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It was a loaded question if I've ever heard one. Good job by the Canadians. Seriously. Very good job. But they aren't striving for what we are striving for so of course their losses will be lighter.
  6. OntarioPatsFan

OntarioPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So let me get this straight, you think Canada isn't trying to stop terrorism worldwide?
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Hopefully we'll kill enough of them to let the supposedly good majority over there take control. I am not saying it'll work, but we're trying for a lot more so of course the cost will be higher.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Certainly not to the extent we are. If you can show me to be wrong based on troop levels in the middle east and in monies provided, then great. And that'll answer Zuma's question too.
  9. Zuma

Zuma Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's not really a difficult question. Honest. A google search will tell you the number of Canadians that have died fighting the Iraqi terrorists. Also...are you saying that Canadians are not striving to prevent terrorist attacks? I don't see that as a loaded question. Really. Just need clarification.
  10. Zuma

Zuma Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

.........;)
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

My perception, and I may be wrong, is that they're trying to stop attacks in their own country but that the U.S. and, to a lesser extent, Britain, are the major players in the (possibly foolhardy) attempt to fight the terrorists on their soil.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

But how can this be..? I thought that terrorists would not attack countries that stayed out of the Middle East and they only came after big bad meanies like the United States and Great Britain...
  13. Zuma

Zuma Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think your perception is correct.
  14. OntarioPatsFan

OntarioPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So going by that train of thought, the only country on the planet trying to stop terrorism is the US? True, the US has about 16,000 troops in Afghanistan to Canada's 2,000, but if you look at population, we have 61.5 troops per million of our countries population, to the US 54.0 troops per million.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's fine, I was just responding to the question of how much has been spent per country and how many have died. I didn't mean to suggest what the U.S. is doing is better or smarter. But as we have more troops over there, clearly we'll spend more and suffer more casualties.
  16. OntarioPatsFan

OntarioPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't think these douche bags were directly linked with Al Qaeda, just 'inspired' by them. Apparently they were raised in Canada, it really makes me sick to my stomach.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  17. OntarioPatsFan

OntarioPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Fair enough, I didn't mean for that post to sound like a pissing contest. But in the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if you see Canada become more involved in the 'War on Terrorism' now that Stephen "I'll do anything for Bush" Harper is running our country.
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I need football to start to I can start irritating Jets and Dolphins fans rather than Canadian Patriots fans :)
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

How long will it take the "Greenpeace Liberals" the "New Democrats" the knee jerk "Amnesty Flower Sniffers" and the "Civil Liberty Worry Warts" to realize that the whole Christian world is in danger of DEATH at the hands of the Damn Fanatical Muslim Religion.
    The Nation Of Islam will be after the Christian Infedels for many more years.

Good for Canada, now we can only hope the Batty Liberal Civil Liberties people don't try to Protect these bastards they just arrested (do they have to read them their rights in Canada)?

World War III is now going on, we are at war with an enemy that would cut your childrens heads off before your very eyes and then Praise Their Allah for allowing them to do so. "FILTHY SAVAGES"
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

Your right it should be both borders all seaports and airports-PROFILE EVERYBODY THAT LOOKS LIKE AN ARAB. "PRAISE GOD"