Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tornadoes wouldn’t happen if enough people prayed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

More insanity. What a surprise. Also the Westboro Church had made plans to picked the funerals of some of the children who were killed in these events, saying God did it to wake them up. Or whatever hateful BS they spit out while hiding behind the name of God. Scumbags.
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

You could probably say the same thing about Pat Robertson.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Religious madness is killing my country..

Sorry Graham Nash, but I know you would understand.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Religion has never done anything wrong or hurt a nation. Only PEOPLE can do those things.

Now I would agree our nation is going mad...but it isn't due to religion.

Cell phone technology has done far more damage than religion.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +310 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

If only PEOPLE can do damage than cell phone technology can do no harm.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

But if we had a national debate over which has harmed our society more over the past 10 years, cell phone technology would win, hands down.

Yeah, only people can do damage. But they can do it when using either religion or cell phones.

Example: A fanatical Islamic terrorist uses a cell phone to detinate a car bomb!

A 2-fer-1 exaample....
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +310 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Well there you have it. The answer to world peace.

Just jam all the cell phones in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Israel and assorted small African countries and no one will ever get killed in the name of God again.

God knows how anyone ever managed to wage a war before all this new fangled cell phone technology.

Just think of how many lives would have been saved if Hitler didn't have TMobile.

Oh wait.....he didn't.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Who's hitler?.....
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Delusions again this morning???

This thread, before you hijacked it, had to do with Pat Robertson and religion..
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +310 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I thought of a million equally smart-ass remarks to make in retort but somehow the Holocaust just doesn't lend itself to smart-ass for me.

Guess you're right - different strokes for different folks.

Viva la' difference.
  13. nabwong

nabwong PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hello.

It's been a while since I wrote in this part of the forum. I'd just like to share my thoughts, hopefully also respecting other opinions.

The topic of disasters has not been hugely debated. On the contrary, each side has used this to try to justify their own beliefs and accuse each other of stupidity and illogical reasoning. Personally I feel that both sides are lacking in some areas.

In a nutshell, if i understand it correctly, the pro-religious believe that God creates disasters to punish people. The opposition believes it is the natural law of the universe, plate movements etc.

When I observe the universe, I see perfection. What I mean by this is that, every single action is a precise calculation. Science is this observation. We can calculate the rotation of the Earth, speed of light, plate movements etc. that is why, to a certain extent of our human capacity, we are able to foresee weather patterns, eclipses etc.

The part we don't understand has to do with our limited capacity. For example, we cannot (or have not been able to) go beyond time and space or prove causality. Causality is a huge topic but not for this post. Humans learn more and more about the universe each day. Science calls this phenomena evolution. Religion calls it revelation.

So since I have established that every single thing is observed or can be explained thru precise calculation, then randomness has to be the lack of understanding due to limited human capacity. Otherwise this world would contradict itself. You can't say the world spins at exact a certain speed and tell me that clouds form randomly and move randomly. Every single thing from the spin to atmospheric pressure to humidity to temperature to etc has to fall within the constraints within this universe and be related to each other. So for a single molecule to exist, the whole universe has to exist.

There is a difference between creation of disaster and experience of disaster. For example, there is a difference of the creation of pain and the experience of pain. Pain is not a good feeling but it's creation is to let us know that we are about to hurt ourselves. So there is wisdom in pain because this whole universe is only perceived thru relativity. Hot and cold. Fast and slow. Etc.

The experience of disaster is terrible from my own perspective. However, my belief is that there is opportunity for great compassion and mercy in this. Of course I don't wish for disaster to happen. Just like I don't wish pain on anyone. But because it does happen, I have the choice to
    Manifest all the wonderful attributes of God such as compassion, mercy, generosity etc.

I'd like to finish by saying that religious folks fall into the trap of speaking from God's perspective. What I mean is that, they take the words of God and repeat it as if they understand the true meaning of it. This is impossible. God, by definition, is absolute. Humans are limited. I cannot understand true meanings of God's speech. I can only use it as a guide for myself. So stop owning God. It is God that owns you.

I have tried to make my opinion as concise as possible. So hopefully my arguments end up being logical.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

As bad as disasters are, they often bring out the best in people..

Having been involved with the middle phase of disaster response for several years now, it is pretty amazing to see what happens when many people converge on an area that was hit with disasters..