PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top ten prospect Shane Ray arrested and cited for possession of marijuana

Not being able to stay away from pot a week before the draft does not augur well for his priorities.

Aaron Hernandez had similar drug issues and he turned out fi... oh wait...

Aaron Hernandez had similar drug issues and he turned out fi... oh wait...

If he had stuck to weed instead of PCP he'd be wearing a ring instead of bracelets right now.

One aspect of drafting smart and intelligent players, is to choose players who are actually smart and intelligent. I'm not a pot-snob, but bad judgement is a red flag for just damn stupid.

True, but you also can't expect 21 year old kids to have perfect judgment. They'll screw up from time to time, the question is can they learn from their mistakes, grow and mature.

I am curious to see how far he falls. Seems ridiculous that you could go from top 10 (projected) all the way down to day 3.

I think may be another case of teams spreading rumors to talk down players to try to manipulate the draft so a player they want and they know won't fall to them will start to fall based on rumors they started. Sometimes it works (see Randy Moss, Warren Sapp) other times it doesn't.

I think may be another case of teams spreading rumors to talk down players to try to manipulate the draft so a player they want and they know won't fall to them will start to fall based on rumors they started. Sometimes it works (see Randy Moss, Warren Sapp) other times it doesn't.

He admitted to failing the test, had failed at least one other test in college, and has some injury concerns.

What "rumors" are supposedly being spread that haven't been 100 percent accurate or previously verified?

Those two played a combined 6 games in the NFL last year.........

Meanwhile 4th and 7th rounders Bryan Stork and Julian Edelman played in the Super Bowl and 30 regular season games last year.

Gotta be in it to win it.

I wasn't comparing player talent, simply comparing the value for taking fliers on players later in the draft. In other words, whether it's Stork or Hernandez, they were both taken in the 4th round. Whether it's Edelman or Dennard, they were both taken in the 7th round. Long, long way from the 1st round--which is what the point was.

Although we saw an injury flier in the 1st round with Easley last year, we've yet to see an attitude/drug/poor decision flier. Meriweather could be the outlier here, depending upon perspective, and he obviously didn't work out very well. It also should be noted that his "offense" was very, very minor and involved being in an on the field brawl.

Last edited:
Right it wasn't stupid of him. He deliberately got caught with weed thinking "hey I'll go later in the first round! To a better team!".

Yeah dont think so. Suppose he drops a round or three? Costs himself a couple million dollars in some bizarre plot to game the draft?

Right it wasn't stupid of him. He deliberately got caught with weed thinking "hey I'll go later in the first round! To a better team!".

Yeah dont think so. Suppose he drops a round or three? Costs himself a couple million dollars in some bizarre plot to game the draft?

1) He likes to smoke weed, which is evident by his other failed test(s)

2) He didn't think that he'd be getting pulled over that night, and that he was safe with possessing a small amount

I think it's as simple as that.

1) He likes to smoke weed, which is evident by his other failed test(s)

2) He didn't think that he'd be getting pulled over that night, and that he was safe with possessing a small amount

I think it's as simple as that.

hopefully the broncos will draft him. there he can smoke all the weed he wants.

randy gregory is not

He was a consensus top 10 pick before it came to light that he tested positive for weed at the combine. Now a bunch of pundits are freaking out and downgrading him to the end of the first round, but teams won't Not over weed, they don't care that much.

What about Lael Collins, holy cow. Sought for police questioning about murder of a pregnant woman.

NFL teams are trying to found out if the child is his (child survived shooting but is in critical condition).

True, but you also can't expect 21 year old kids to have perfect judgment. They'll screw up from time to time, the question is can they learn from their mistakes, grow and mature.

Fair enough, but now you're describing a 4th round prospect with question marks, not a pick at 32.

In the game of picking which risks you're willing to draft into, BB tends to bet on injury history (Gronk, Ras-I Dowling, Easley) over poor judgement (Dennard, Hernandez). The injury history guys are early picks. The poor judgement guys look like value on Day Three.

He was a consensus top 10 pick before it came to light that he tested positive for weed at the combine. Now a bunch of pundits are freaking out and downgrading him to the end of the first round, but teams won't Not over weed, they don't care that much.

JustinHouston_crop_exact.jpg

Sorry, just seemed too obvious.

I wasn't comparing player talent, simply comparing the value for taking fliers on players later in the draft. In other words, whether it's Stork or Hernandez, they were both taken in the 4th round. Whether it's Edelman or Dennard, they were both taken in the 7th round. Long, long way from the 1st round--which is what the point was.

Although we saw an injury flier in the 1st round with Easley last year, we've yet to see an attitude/drug/poor decision flier. Meriweather could be the outlier here, depending upon perspective, and he obviously didn't work out very well. It also should be noted that his "offense" was very, very minor and involved being in an on the field brawl.

Somewhat going OT here, but didn't Merriweather start a huge fight in game in college one year? Also wasn't he involved in a neighborhood shooting? I swore I remember reading that at the time.

God I hated that pick. Hated it at the time, hate it even more today. Just a dumb player, even dumber person.

I disagree, he will fall, at least until the 20's. I think Gregory's issues are much more severe than Ray's because his drug use is linked to anxiety. He could have serious issues that could derail his career before it even gets started.

As I said earlier the biggest issue for both guys is they are automatically entered into phase 1 of the NFL's substance abuse program. Instead of only having to pass one drug test early in the season (usually training camp) then being free to smoke for the rest of the year, these guys will be tested much more frequently and make the situation much more difficult for themselves.

So for players like Jalen Collins who tested positive in school but got through the draft process clean, I have no problem with because they will likely be fine in the NFL. Someone like Ray I would be a lot more careful with, and Gregory I would be terrified he would be another Josh Gordon, unable to control his demons.

Confession time: I absolutely loved the Meriweather pick. I thought he was an absolute stud at Miami. I'm going to get laughed at for this, and deservedly so, but he was my favorite DB in that draft and felt at the time that we got a steal. I honestly thought BB would coach the knucklehead out of him and that he would become an All-Pro.

God. I threw up in my mouth just writing that. Now, please excuse me while I go stab myself in the neck with a spork.:eek:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back