PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top ten prospect Shane Ray arrested and cited for possession of marijuana

Top ten prospect Shane Ray arrested and cited for possession of marijuana

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ssession-of-marijuana-latest-details-and-more

Personally, I could care less about the A.H. marijuana smoking precedent. When you've drafted at an average spot of 29.3 over the past 5 years, you need to take risks.

And at great risk of oversimplifying football, I do believe that without great corners, we are going to need one hell of a pass rush. This kid seems to have that.

So any chance a pass rusher with his kind of football skill falls to 32 do you think?

Last edited:
Well between his toe injury n now this he'll certainly fall

I'd definitely take a "chance" on Ray at 32. An edge rush with him book ending either Nink or Jones would be fun to watch. What **** decision making on his part, though.

I'd definitely take a "chance" on Ray at 32. An edge rush with him book ending either Nink or Jones would be fun to watch. What **** decision making on his part, though.

The trick is that Ray stands 6'2.5" 245 lbs. after skipping the Senior Bowl in order to focus on bulking up. How are you going to use him in this defense to get full value from the pick?

Not trying to get too excited, but I've had the same thought. Although not a "need" like CB, DT, and G, he's explosive as hell and would be hard to pass, although he doesn't have the length BB typically likes.

Starting to look like there's a 50/50 shot of him being there at 32. And I'm not sure we'd be smart to take him. If he falls to 43-48, though... I'd move up for him in a heartbeat.

It could be an interesting pick with Ray, Gregory, and Peters all late fallers for character issues. Those are 3 players who the Pats really have no business getting a shot at under normal conditions at #32.

Normally I hate draft night, especially the first one, because I usually get pissed watching team after team get a great player to improve their teams, while we are A:WAYS relegated to the edges of the 2nd round before we even get a shot to improve. Injury and character issues are the ONLY way we can get a shot at one of those so called "blue-chip" players where we draft.

Not being able to stay away from pot a week before the draft does not augur well for his priorities.

Especially when combined with the current foot issue and the previous failed drug tests.

Shane Ray issues an apology and some clarification to the incident in which he was arrested but only cited. I have to say, I respect him apologizing to his Mother first.
CDp0CQHWoAAHa_P.png

An apology and clarification from Shane Ray.
I appreciate and respect that he apologizes to his Mother first.

CDp0CQHWoAAHa_P.png

Even before the apology, I have no problem with taking a chance on him. Without an elite CB, I don't think its wrong to focus on the pass rush and as Patfanken has pointed out, when you Draft at the 32 and 64 spots, you need to take chances whether on character or injury other teams aren't willing to take.

Last edited:
One aspect of drafting smart and intelligent players, is to choose players who are actually smart and intelligent. I'm not a pot-snob, but bad judgement is a red flag for just damn stupid.

One aspect of drafting smart and intelligent players, is to choose players who are actually smart and intelligent. I'm not a pot-snob, but bad judgement is a red flag for just damn stupid.

That's a great point, and shows the difficulty in attempting to find the balance between "just" smoking weed, and having enough hints that something larger is in play.

For example, if one can't stop smoking weed for a week or two (the last time I smoked I tested clean on the 8th day in rehab, and I pretty much smoked multiple times, every day for years at points in my 20s/early 30s), that may lead to signs of immaturity, poor decision making, or some other underlying factors that point towards making a different draft selection.

In the end, the "value" is still there on guys like A.Hernandez (4th round), and Dennard (7th round), but I don't know what point Belichick considers taking a guy much, much earlier?

Last edited:
In the end, the "value" is still there on guys like A.Hernandez (4th round), and Dennard (7th round), but I don't know what point Belichick considers taking a guy much, much earlier?

Of course, Belichick can always opt for a more safe prospect and choose not to take a risk. But so far, even with his misses, he's really beaten the odds so far with his late first round picks. *knocks on wood*

Other than that, its take a risk on coaching out the stupid versus taking a risk on a player like Easley or Gronk and simply crossing your fingers and hoping their injuries don't handicap their ability to play at an elite level.

In my extremely amateur view, both are the same level of risk if you are hoping to have any chance of catching a top 10/15 kind of talent. Perhaps the risk is a little less if you consider the fact that our front office people will get a chance to sit down and come away with some kind of impression on where the stupid is coming from in this kid. Just as a thought.

Last edited:
Of course, Belichick can always opt for as sure a prospect as he could hope for in the 32nd pick and simply play it safe.

Otherwise, its take a risk on coaching out the stupid or take a risk on a player like Easley and simply cross your fingers and hope they havent lost their explosiveness after they blowing an ACL in each knee.

In my extremely amateur view, its the same level of risk for a top 10/15 kind of talent. Perhaps less once you consider the fact that our front office people will get a chance to get an impression on where the stupid is coming from in this kid.

Boy, we could use Easley to step up and grow into a much larger role this season. I know the phrase has been used way too often, but it's almost like getting an extra high draft pick, assuming that he's anything close to the hype.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back