PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top Ten Playoff Chokes in the past 25 years -- SNOW JOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
Now back to the subject.

Actually the Colts are in a class of their own. They choked two years in a row.

So, they should be on the top 10 double-super choke list.

So, you're saying that the Colt's have been the better team the last 2 years?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/01/13/gallery.chokes/index.1.html

Are you f'in kidding me? ........

--The MVP of the League
--leads the league's TOP offense
--sets the record with 1,184,142 Pro Bowl votes
--sets the record for Most Consecutive Games with Four or More Touchdown Passes (passing Marino's record of 4)
--sets the record for Highest Passer Rating in a season (blowing Steve Young's record away)
--sets the freakin' record for Touch Down passes in a single year!

....then comes to Gillette Stadium on January 16, 2005 in the AFC Divisional Playoffs, and fails to find the end-zone one single time. ZERO TDs. 1 Int.

The man who that very year set the Passer Rating record with a rating of 121.1 came out of the Razor with a rating of 69.3!

And that game doesn't even get a mention the Top 10? REALLY?

Wow.

Do you actually believe that any other team in the league would have won either of those games? Ummm......no.

The pats won because they were the better team, not because the Colt's choked. If you actually believe that the Colt's would have won if Manning hadn't choked, then you don't have much faith in the ability of your team.

PATSummerallofthe80s said:
Do some research.......Kurt Warner's mother wasn't CHUNKY? Plus I will bet any amount of money there are some overweight PATS moms if Campbell's was interested in finding one. They just had no desire to feature a PATS mom.

Do you really think that its about who Campbells wants, and not about who would want to embarrass thensleves for a few bucks?

Peytonsbetter said:
Do you actually believe that any other team in the league would have won either of those games? Ummm......no.
Either of which games? I was only referring to one game, one very specific game. And no, I don't believe that any other team in the league would have won that day, but I'd guess one or two of them might be capable of eeking out a single touchdown.

Peytonsbetter said:
The pats won because they were the better team, not because the Colt's choked. If you actually believe that the Colt's would have won if Manning hadn't choked, then you don't have much faith in the ability of your team.
Absolutely the Patriots won because they are the superior team, however the Dolts choke came not in the fact that they lost, but the fact that failed to show up to even play. Had Paymetons NOT choked, of course I still believe the superior Patriots would have won, but it wouldn't have been so damned embarrassing for the Dolts.

You're reaching there, small fry.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Either of which games? I was only referring to one game, one very specific game. And no, I don't believe that any other team in the league would have won that day, but I'd guess one or two of them might be capable of eeking out a single touchdown.

Absolutely the Patriots won because they are the superior team, however the Dolts choke came not in the fact that they lost, but the fact that failed to show up to even play. Had Paymetons NOT choked, of course I still believe the superior Patriots would have won, but it wouldn't have been so damned embarrassing for the Dolts.

You're reaching there, small fry.

Oh, so you're saying that the better team won, but the losing team STILL choked? Whatever.

Thats the homer way, I guess. :rolleyes:

Peytonsbetter said:
So, you're saying that the Colt's have been the better team the last 2 years?

Nope. They were suppose to be the bettr team according to all of the national "experts". No one was suppose to stop that offensive machine.

Now tell me you didn't hear the same thing before both games.

PATSummerallofthe80s said:
Do some research.......Kurt Warner's mother wasn't CHUNKY? Plus I will bet any amount of money there are some overweight PATS moms if Campbell's was interested in finding one. They just had no desire to feature a PATS mom.

And it could be that Cambells soup company's headquarters is just across the river from Philadelphia, in Camden. You can see the eagles stadium from their HQ...

Peytonsbetter said:
Oh, so you're saying that the better team won, but the losing team STILL choked? Whatever.

Thats the homer way, I guess. :rolleyes:
I keep trying to coach up my 14 year old in the ways of debate ('cause his mother kicks his ass when he gets into a argument) and I gotta keep reminding him that his favorite retort, "whatever." is akin to lying down, rolling over, and admiting you got nuthin'. You gotta shake that defeatest attitude, son.

Yes. The better team won, and the losing team choked. They're not mutually exclusive (link kindly provided for our Donks friends). What is so hard to understand about it?

You already admited that the Pats were the better team, so that's not even in question here. Taking that accepted fact into account we can then say hypothetically that if the score were 27-17, while the losing team did indeed lose to the better team, they at least put up a reasonable, and respectable fight. But losing 20-3 in a game where the all time touchdown king failed to find the endzone one single time, and went from an average (record setting) 112 QB rating to 63.9 is nothing short of a choke.

A choke for all of history.

A choke that still seems a bit lodged in your throat. Whatever, huh?

Here's some facts about the "Picasso of Choke". From the definitive "Brady vs. Manning: Complete & Unabridged, Vol. II"

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=261

"POSTSEASON PERFORMANCES
Brady’s superiority over Manning is built upon the stony, unyielding foundation of each player’s postseason performances. Quite simply, Manning, as we have long noted, is the Picasso of Choke Artists. Brady, meanwhile, has already proven to be one of the great clutch players in postseason history, a truly transcendent performer who reserves his greatest games for the biggest moments. He has the Super Bowl rings, Super Bowl records and Super Bowl MVP awards to prove it.

For all of Manning’s brilliant regular-season fireworks in recent years, he has simply failed to live up to expectations in the postseason – every single year that he’s been there. That’s right. Every year. Don’t believe us? Come, take a drive down Manning’s postseason memory lane. But roll up the windows and lock the doors. It’s an ugly neighborhood.

1999 – In Manning’s second year in the league he led the Colts to a 13-3 record and an AFC East title while averaging 26.4 PPG in the regular season. In Indy’s first playoff game the Colts hosted wildcard-game winner Tennessee. The Indy defense played well, surrendering just 19 points to a solid offense that averaged 24.5 points per game. But Manning, at home in the dome, put just 16 points on the board, the team’s third lowest output of the season, while completing just 19 of 43 passes for 227 yards and zero touchdowns. Manning’s 60.9 passer rating was his lowest of the entire season. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 19-16.

2000 – The Colts went 10-6 behind Manning’s 33 touchdown passes and an offense that averaged 26.8 PPG in the regular season. Indy went to Miami in the wildcard round and its defense played very well, intercepting Jay Fiedler three times and surrendering just 23 points in a game decided in overtime. But Manning struggled against the Dolphins and, in a game that lasted more than 70 minutes, was a non-factor. He completed barely 50 percent of his passes (17 for 32) for just 194 yards and a touchdown. The Colts generated 11 points off Fiedler’s interceptions but put a total of just 17 on the board, 10 points fewer than their regular-season average. It was Indy’s second lowest scoring output of the season. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 23-17, in overtime.

2002 – The Colts went 10-6 and drew a gimme in the wildcard round: a 9-7 Jets team with a paper-thin defense that surrendered 336 points that year (Indy boasted the better D, surrendering 313 points). Manning played the single worst statistical game of his entire career (14 for 31, 137 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs and a career-low 31.2 passer rating) and failed to put a single point on the board. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 41-0.

2003 – The Colts went 12-4 in the regular season and scored 27.9 PPG. Manning kept it going in Indy’s first two playoff games and was spectacular leading 41-10 and 38-31 victories over Denver and Kansas City. But Manning, facing foul weather and a good defense, returned to his historic postseason form in the AFC title game against New England. Indy’s D again played well under postseason pressure, stifling the Patriots in the red zone and forcing them to settle for five field goals. But Manning tossed four interceptions and posted the third lowest passer rating of his entire career (35.5). Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 24-14.

2004 – The Colts again went 12-4 in the regular season, this time scoring 522 points (32.6 PPG) and entering the playoffs a seemingly unstoppable offensive juggernaut with the fifth-highest scoring offense in NFL history. Manning, of course, set numerous regular season records. Most notably, he tossed 49 touchdown passes while shattering the single-season passer rating record, with a mark of 121.1. It all took a familiar turn for the worse in the playoffs. In a divisional game at New England, the Colts mustered just 3 points – their lowest offensive output since the 2002 playoff loss to the Jets. Once again, Manning played his very worst game of the season in the playoffs, completing 27 of 42 passes for 238 yards with 0 TDs and 1 INT and a passer rating of 69.3, his lowest of the year. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 20-3."

R

Dont forget the Denver Broncos on January 14,2006, when they only managed to gain 63 yards on the ground and Plummer was picked 4 times en route to a Patriots 28-17 victory, which wasn't even as close as the score.

PATSNUTme said:
Nope. They were suppose to be the bettr team according to all of the national "experts". No one was suppose to stop that offensive machine.

Now tell me you didn't hear the same thing before both games.

I did hear that before both games, especially last year. Thing is, I think even less of the "experts" than you do. Life sized, talking bobbleheads is what they are.

So they were wrong. What does that have to do with the Colt's?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I keep trying to coach up my 14 year old in the ways of debate ('cause his mother kicks his ass when he gets into a argument) and I gotta keep reminding him that his favorite retort, "whatever." is akin to lying down, rolling over, and admiting you got nuthin'. You gotta shake that defeatest attitude, son.

Yes. The better team won, and the losing team choked. They're not mutually exclusive (link kindly provided for our Donks friends). What is so hard to understand about it?

You already admited that the Pats were the better team, so that's not even in question here. Taking that accepted fact into account we can then say hypothetically that if the score were 27-17, while the losing team did indeed lose to the better team, they at least put up a reasonable, and respectable fight. But losing 20-3 in a game where the all time touchdown king failed to find the endzone one single time, and went from an average (record setting) 112 QB rating to 63.9 is nothing short of a choke.

A choke for all of history.

A choke that still seems a bit lodged in your throat. Whatever, huh?

IMO, the Colt's were the second best team in the league last year. They lost to the best team, on that teams home field, in a blizzard. Just because the "expert's" all picked the Colt's doesn't mean they WERE the best. It means that the "experts" are morons.

A loss is a loss, whether it's 6-3 or 35-3. There are no degree's of losing.

But I really didn't expect you to see my point, what with you being a homer and all, so that's why I said whatever.

Good luck with your son. (My son is 7 and is already developing an attitude, so I imagine I'll be doing some arguing of my own in the future. Well, at least he'll be learning from the best(me). :D )

njpatsfan said:
Here's some facts about the "Picasso of Choke". From the definitive "Brady vs. Manning: Complete & Unabridged, Vol. II"

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=261

"POSTSEASON PERFORMANCES
Brady’s superiority over Manning is built upon the stony, unyielding foundation of each player’s postseason performances. Quite simply, Manning, as we have long noted, is the Picasso of Choke Artists. Brady, meanwhile, has already proven to be one of the great clutch players in postseason history, a truly transcendent performer who reserves his greatest games for the biggest moments. He has the Super Bowl rings, Super Bowl records and Super Bowl MVP awards to prove it.

For all of Manning’s brilliant regular-season fireworks in recent years, he has simply failed to live up to expectations in the postseason – every single year that he’s been there. That’s right. Every year. Don’t believe us? Come, take a drive down Manning’s postseason memory lane. But roll up the windows and lock the doors. It’s an ugly neighborhood.

1999 – In Manning’s second year in the league he led the Colts to a 13-3 record and an AFC East title while averaging 26.4 PPG in the regular season. In Indy’s first playoff game the Colts hosted wildcard-game winner Tennessee. The Indy defense played well, surrendering just 19 points to a solid offense that averaged 24.5 points per game. But Manning, at home in the dome, put just 16 points on the board, the team’s third lowest output of the season, while completing just 19 of 43 passes for 227 yards and zero touchdowns. Manning’s 60.9 passer rating was his lowest of the entire season. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 19-16.

2000 – The Colts went 10-6 behind Manning’s 33 touchdown passes and an offense that averaged 26.8 PPG in the regular season. Indy went to Miami in the wildcard round and its defense played very well, intercepting Jay Fiedler three times and surrendering just 23 points in a game decided in overtime. But Manning struggled against the Dolphins and, in a game that lasted more than 70 minutes, was a non-factor. He completed barely 50 percent of his passes (17 for 32) for just 194 yards and a touchdown. The Colts generated 11 points off Fiedler’s interceptions but put a total of just 17 on the board, 10 points fewer than their regular-season average. It was Indy’s second lowest scoring output of the season. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 23-17, in overtime.

2002 – The Colts went 10-6 and drew a gimme in the wildcard round: a 9-7 Jets team with a paper-thin defense that surrendered 336 points that year (Indy boasted the better D, surrendering 313 points). Manning played the single worst statistical game of his entire career (14 for 31, 137 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs and a career-low 31.2 passer rating) and failed to put a single point on the board. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 41-0.

2003 – The Colts went 12-4 in the regular season and scored 27.9 PPG. Manning kept it going in Indy’s first two playoff games and was spectacular leading 41-10 and 38-31 victories over Denver and Kansas City. But Manning, facing foul weather and a good defense, returned to his historic postseason form in the AFC title game against New England. Indy’s D again played well under postseason pressure, stifling the Patriots in the red zone and forcing them to settle for five field goals. But Manning tossed four interceptions and posted the third lowest passer rating of his entire career (35.5). Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 24-14.

2004 – The Colts again went 12-4 in the regular season, this time scoring 522 points (32.6 PPG) and entering the playoffs a seemingly unstoppable offensive juggernaut with the fifth-highest scoring offense in NFL history. Manning, of course, set numerous regular season records. Most notably, he tossed 49 touchdown passes while shattering the single-season passer rating record, with a mark of 121.1. It all took a familiar turn for the worse in the playoffs. In a divisional game at New England, the Colts mustered just 3 points – their lowest offensive output since the 2002 playoff loss to the Jets. Once again, Manning played his very worst game of the season in the playoffs, completing 27 of 42 passes for 238 yards with 0 TDs and 1 INT and a passer rating of 69.3, his lowest of the year. Result: Manning chokes. Colts lose, 20-3."

R

Yeah, there's a totally unbiased source. :rolleyes:

I especially enjoy their analysis of the Miami game in 2000. "The Colt's defense played very well", conveniently ignoring the fact that Lamar Smith gained over 200 yards in that game, including the game winner in overtime.

They also fail to mention the fact that Peyton had the Colt's in position to win that game in the last 2 minutes, only to have Vanderjagt miss the field goal. LMAO. Yeah, great analysis. :rolleyes:

That site is a direct result of some pats fans with WAY to much time on their hands.

I think this list will have to be revised. We may have just witnessed a new number one. The caption could start out like "With each team trying to outchoke the other, the Colts prevail..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes