Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Top-Kill" positive karma thread

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 26, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

In the 50's when this country had some damn confidence in itself, we would have sent the Army Corp of Engineers down there, planted a few large explosives around a perimeter of the leak and caved in the entire well on itself.

But we sit here, waiting for BP to plug it in a way which will enable them to revisit the site at a later point and resume drilling once the PR does their trick.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

My hope is that this is the answer... not sure what will happen if it does not.. it is getting scary...

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +969 / 2 / -9

That was America The Way We Used To Be, we've sunk pretty low since then.
    (watch the sh!t i get from the do-gooders over that one)

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You guys are right, I pine for the days of powerful unions, meaningful government regulation, equitable pay, the media fairness doctrine, meaningful anti-trust enforcement, less powerful corporations, and less media consolidation. You know, all the stuff the right has been undoing for decades.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

1) The Army Corp. of Engineers IS there - and has been all along.

2) Their presence there would lead me to believe that they've considered all their options and chosen not to pursue any of them because they're not workable.

I'm not sure how dynamiting the hole would make it cave it - wouldn't it carry the distinct possibility of simply opening it up, instead?

I think the problem is that no one really has much experience at doing much of anything at this particular depth. Who knows how dynamite would work under that much pressure that far under sea level? I'm sure brighter minds than ours have considered it and there's a valid reason it's not being done.

I'm as upset as anyone here about the whole disaster. Don't forget, us "bleeding hearts" not only get ticked at the government and at big businesses, we also empathize the pain of the brown pelicans and the dolphins.

Problem is - no one knows what to do. I don't think the lack of response is so much stupidity or laziness or even that someone is in someone else's pocket - I think it's a genuine case of "duh....now what?"

What good would it serve for Obama to say, "BP, you've screwed us over long enough - you're outa here?" Maybe they don't know what to do - but no one else knows what to do, either....and the oil companies are the only ones with the proper equipment and training. Personally, I think BP is HOPING Obama tells them to step aside - once he does, they're out of it - and absolved from any further responsibility. From the minute he does that all they have to say is, "Hey, we didn't do that part. You did," and that's it......they've got pausible denial from that point forward.

I did read an interesting article last night.....apparently they had a large spill in Saudi in the 90's - and they used tankers to siphon the oil. I understand that the situations are not identical - one was a spill on top of the water and this is a spill far beneath the water - but oil does rise and there's no reason it couldn't be vacuumed up as it rises - and before any more of it hits the shore. They even managed to reuse something like 80% of what they siphoned up.

Read the story - it makes sense, it's worked before, and the developers of the technique have been trying like mad to get a response from BP - without success, apparently.

Gulf Oil Spill Supertanker Solution - BP Ignoring Secret Saudi Supertankers? - Esquire

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

As I watch the video, no idea of what is happening... needs narration.

9. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Mrs.Patsfan, are you sure the Army Corp of Engineers is there?
    It does not indicate this in your link.

10. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let's hope it works. Obama let this go on for too long.

11. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I do not understand how...

A) we can send a MANNED submarine down the mariana trench to the deepest a man has ever gone.

B) We send men and equipment in Space, which operates in a vacuum and pressures never imagined before

C) We landed on a Moon!

D) Harnessed the Power of an ATOM!!!

And we can't plug a whole 5000 feet down?

This tells me that our greatest scientists are not on the job, That this issue is not of top priority to our nation.

That is the only rationale. If we didn't after 10 days create a Manhattan style project of the countries brightest minds to say, we have an issue, how do we solve it...

As a libertarian, I am outraged that this private company is wreaking havoc on so many acres of private owned beach, and destroying an aspect of life which people relied on for their wages.

I also hate that we are stuck with using oil for energy and have to have 4000 Rigs in the Gulf of Mexico in the first place.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I'm confused. I thought Libertarians were all about private companies being protected from government interference.

In a way, seeing as how there has been a distinct lack of oversight, control, watchdogging and whatever of BP and every other damn oil company out there for decades now, one could pretty much say they've been treated very much in the manner that Libertarians promote for both businesses and individuals - with very little government oversight or interference.

I happen to agree with you - but I've never been a Libertarian and I've never called for smaller government and less interference.

It amazes me that you do not find your own outrage at least a touch hypocritical.

14. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

CNN.com Live

I'm no expert, but this looks a heck of a lot worse than it was...

I count 5 different leaks now!

Unless the BP feed from before was just showing us one of the leaks, and knew of these other ones, or this "top kill" made $#!t worse....

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is nothing in the Libertarian philosophy that advocates the federal government just sit there and do nothing while an oil spill ravages our southeast coastlines.

However, that certainly does seem to be the Obama philosophy. Oh wait, I think he's going to give another speech... that'll solve it! :rolleyes:

16. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

what should he do Wolf?

17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

But there is an awful lot in there that ensures that the federal government is too weak or crippled to do a damned thing about it. But keep dancing. It's so much fun to watch.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  18. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Dear God let this work.

And I agree...I don't know if it is supposed to look like this, but it sure as hell looks worse, not better.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Really? Then why did one of the most currently famous Libertarians around chastise Obama for being "UnAmerican" enough for daring to criticize BP?

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think both the Boston Globe and James Carville spelled out exactly what he should be doing. As I explained in another thread, I cannot embed video in here and I am not going to transcribe James Carville's comments but you can see them at ABCnews.com.

Where were all you "what can he do?" people when it came to FEMA '05? :confused: Many of you had join dates from before that summer... I can only imagine the comments from this forum's left leaning members if I did a search.