PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Top 64: What Are Your First 4 Picks?? *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is immensely premature, I'm going to assume every draft-eligible underclassman declares, and I'm also going to pretend the hype machine drives several players way up the boards, including my surprise sleeper pick for our center of the future. Height, weight, and 40 are all my own estimates, based loosely on the official numbers and heavily supplemented by my own observation.

I reserve the right to disavow my picks if they look awful in the future. :p

1a) EdgeHybrid Aldon Smith from Missouri (6'5 #266 4.62) YouTube - Aldon Smith vs. Colorado

1b) DT/DE Nick Fairley from Auburn (6'5 #315 4.97) YouTube - Nick Fairley vs Mississippi State

2a) S Mark Barron from Alabama (6'2 #217 4.48)

2b) C/G Chad Schofield from Marshall (6'4 #308 5.18)

Later rounds are devoted to offensive tackles, corners, and running backs; I may do a full mock in a bit, but I'd rather wait till this week of college football is over before I make any more off-base prognostications. :cool:

Not sure, on the picks yet... Still forming opinions, but if DeMarco Murray is there with our first pick in the 2nd round I'd jump all over that.

Yes... DeMarco Murray is my binkie :)

You could do worse. :cool:

Since this is immensely premature, I'm going to assume every draft-eligible underclassman declares, and I'm also going to pretend the hype machine drives several players way up the boards, including my surprise sleeper pick for our center of the future. Height, weight, and 40 are all my own estimates, based loosely on the official numbers and heavily supplemented by my own observation.

I reserve the right to disavow my picks if they look awful in the future. :p

1a) EdgeHybrid Aldon Smith from Missouri (6'5 #266 4.62) YouTube - Aldon Smith vs. Colorado

20100904-Missouri-Illinois-0695-blog.jpg

1b) DT/DE Nick Fairley from Auburn (6'5 #315 4.97) YouTube - Nick Fairley vs Mississippi State

fairleyUGA.JPG

2a) S Mark Barron from Alabama (6'2 #217 4.48)

mark-barron-420x330.jpg

2b) C/G Chad Schofield from Marshall (6'4 #308 5.18)

g276258000000000000aa61b4d37119991311f4c2549b021d34d69ec0c4.jpg

Later rounds are devoted to offensive tackles, corners, and running backs; I may do a full mock in a bit, but I'd rather wait till this week of college football is over before I make any more off-base prognostications. :cool:

WHOA. :eek:

You are NOT messing AROUND, sir. :cool:

Aldon Smith ~ drool ~ perfect size for a Belichickian Flanker.

BLAZING speed...And Good GOD, what vicious quickness in that Colorado tape you shared with us.

He's hurt, obviously, but it sounds like he'll be fine...

Nick Fairley
~ Lord JESUS, what a BEAST of a game against poor Mississippi State!! :eek:

Here are mine :
1a Cameron Heyward DE
1b Marvin Austin DT
2a Orlando Franklin LG
2b Lee Ziemba OT
And please no WR or a RB in first two rounds.

Here are mine :

1a Cameron Heyward DE ~ Ohio State BuckEyes!! ~ 6.5/285

heyward-rushapjpg-212276270f553a98_large.jpg

1b Marvin Austin DT ~ North Carolina Tar Heels!! ~ 6.3/310

marvinaustin1.jpg

2a Orlando Franklin LG ~ Miami Hurricanes!! ~ 6.7/315

display_image.jpg

2b Lee Ziemba OT ~ Auburn Tiggers!! ~ 6.6/320

leeziemba12toddvanjpg-61f3635de2b6ff10_large.jpg

And please no WR or a RB in first two rounds.

"And please no WR or a RB in first two rounds."

Sent from HEAVEN, ABOVE, your words are!! :D

I would've gone with Flanker AND Defensive End, but I LOVE this Top 4: All Defense and Front Wall!! :rocker:

OK, RB is going to be one of our biggest holes next year (as it is right now) and you guys are going to ignore RB in the first couple rounds? What the....

Last edited:
Disagreement is cool; Rodgers is an underclassmen, it's his brother James coming out this year.

I've read about Boren's progress, he sounds good, I just note he has not yet cracked the top 100 for NFL Draft Scout. :confused2:

Nevis is smaller than Paea, do you see him being used as a 3-4 end?

Yeah I'm not completely sold on Boren, but he seems to be headed in the right direction whereas Pouncey seems to be headed the opposite way. I know I'm making a leap with him being drafted there. He still has a lot to prove. I thought Quizz was eligible to come out after this year. Isn't he a junior now?

Nevis is smaller than Paea, do you see him being used as a 3-4 end?
I was wondering the same thing.

It looks like Brother Crip's either going for TWO Defensive Ends...or loading up on TACKLE...

...OR looking for Heyward to go 5% Body Fat and slim down like a MAD MAN, to go for Right Flanker ~ OLB, to you Earthlings. ;)

I LOVE Nevis. He's been SEISMIC, the last couple of weeks...But I don't know how he does in a 3-4, at his size.

Linemen are simply NOT the "PlayMakers" in a 3-4.

They're the ENABLERS.

After disagreeing with the Paea pick, I thought my Nevis pick would get pointed out lol. You have valid points. Here's my line of thinking. In my opinion, there's a couple options. I think he would be a tremendous asset when we put out a 4 man line. Although we're a base 3-4, we often put extra linemen out there in the middle. I see him as being a great disruption to the offense in those plays. His burst off the line is amazing. I see him giving opponents lots of trouble. I don't know the numbers, but it seems as though we use Pryor a lot in those situations. I look at Nevis as better version of Pryor. Sizewise, the two are the same height, but Pryor has about 15 pounds on him. Kyle Love is seemingly our #2 NT now. Nevis is nearly the same size as him. With a little extra bulk, he could possibly play NT too. He's close to 300 already, so I don't think adding another 10-15 pounds is out of the question. He is reportedly incredibly strong too. With that strength, burst, technique and great motor, I think we can easily find lots of uses for him.

I think Paea is too undersized to play DE in our D and I think the same about Nevis. If we go DE early in the first, he needs to be our starter. I think a guy like Heyward and some others fit that bill. In this scenario, I have Nevis going late 2nd round here, so I don't see him walking in and starting. I see us definitely using one of our top picks on a DE and one on a RB. (I think we tried that last draft, but it didn't work out. Seems like we were trying to get Alualu and some have said Hardesty was our target in the 2nd.) I had one of the other picks go to the interior offensive line. Except for Quinn, I need to see more out of the potential 3-4 OLBs. It's pretty tough to analyze since most are ends in college. I could have gone CB too, but figured at the end of the 2nd, Nevis could be more beneficial to the team than what's left of the CBs at that point.

That is awesome Off The Grid !
Can you finish my rest of the draft ?
3 Terrence Toliver WR
4a Roy Helu RB
4b Greg Romeus DE
5 Kevin Kowalski C
6 Jeff Van Kemp Q ( hey ,it's a lucky round for a QB )
7 Richard Murphy RB ( good receiving RB from LSU , ring a bell?)

Quiz is a junior and eligible, but little guys are usually advised to stay put for four years.

After disagreeing with the Paea pick, I thought my Nevis pick would get pointed out lol. You have valid points. Here's my line of thinking. In my opinion, there's a couple options. I think he would be a tremendous asset when we put out a 4 man line. Although we're a base 3-4, we often put extra linemen out there in the middle. I see him as being a great disruption to the offense in those plays. His burst off the line is amazing. I see him giving opponents lots of trouble. I don't know the numbers, but it seems as though we use Pryor a lot in those situations. I look at Nevis as better version of Pryor. Sizewise, the two are the same height, but Pryor has about 15 pounds on him. Kyle Love is seemingly our #2 NT now. Nevis is nearly the same size as him. With a little extra bulk, he could possibly play NT too. He's close to 300 already, so I don't think adding another 10-15 pounds is out of the question. He is reportedly incredibly strong too. With that strength, burst, technique and great motor, I think we can easily find lots of uses for him.

I think Paea is too undersized to play DE in our D and I think the same about Nevis. If we go DE early in the first, he needs to be our starter. I think a guy like Heyward and some others fit that bill. In this scenario, I have Nevis going late 2nd round here, so I don't see him walking in and starting. I see us definitely using one of our top picks on a DE and one on a RB. (I think we tried that last draft, but it didn't work out. Seems like we were trying to get Alualu and some have said Hardesty was our target in the 2nd.) I had one of the other picks go to the interior offensive line. Except for Quinn, I need to see more out of the potential 3-4 OLBs. It's pretty tough to analyze since most are ends in college. I could have gone CB too, but figured at the end of the 2nd, Nevis could be more beneficial to the team than what's left of the CBs at that point.
The Pats have looked hard at Paea, I've watched him last season and this season, he's got the strength to handle two-gapping, and given the number of double-teams he sees they have a good idea how well he stacks and sheds and finds the football. I think he'll probably grade higher for a one-gapping team, but it's my belief he'll be high on NE's board come draft day.

NFLDS has Heywood as their overall #1 ranked player, I'm not expecting Oakland to be that bad.

EDIT: Kyle Love is listed at 310, look at him standing next to Pryor and tell me they weigh the same with a straight face. ;)

Last edited:
Indeed... and I don't think I could do much better!

YouTube - DeMarco Murray 2007

* LOVED the Block at :20. GREAT Take Down.
* GREAT Cut at :25
* WOW. The Quadruple cuts at about 1:10 were KILLER. :eek:

Kid's a BULL DOG. God knows he's got terrific BreakAway Speed ~ something I actually value very little ~ but what impresses me is the speed and explosiveness of his Cuts. And I particularly like watching a guy who can make a series of violent cuts on one play, such as on that Kick Off at 1:00. And he certainly show's a Scrapper's Tenacity, on several of those plays.

Yes, I place a fraction of the emphasis on Break Away speed that most folks do, and I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd Rounder on it, when it seems to me that you can get that in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and later rounds, each and every year, usually from small schools.

What I value ~ what I think wins Championships ~ are the guys with 10 Yards of Violence: Guys with low Centers of Gravity who Cut like a Scimitar, knock the first guy down, bust arm tackles, and Move The Chains.

...And who BLOCK.

And damned if DeMarco doesn't DO all that.

Seems that your guy...does it ALL.

RB DeMarco Murray ~ Oklahoma Sooners!! ~ 6.1/210

demarco-murray-rrs-2007-4.jpg

Last edited:
OK, RB is going to be one of our biggest holes next year (as it is right now) and you guys are going to ignore RB in the first couple rounds? What the....

It's a philosophical decision, my friend.

Investing heavily in Running Back is a reasonable decision, especially if you haul in a guy like Luthier's Binky, there. :cool:

The record shows, however, that it's common to find excellent Running Backs in the later rounds.

That's why I ~ I can't speak for others ~ believe the best way to build a DOMINANT Run Game is to invest heavily in the early rounds on GRIZZLIES...and pick up the Wolves, later in the Draft. :cool:

I'm assuming raiders pick is 7 for the trade down to get the mid 2nd as well as this sorts out some good value.

1a) (Trade) Michael Floyyd (Number 1 WR for the future when as moss may leave soon)

1b) Jarred Crick DE (Need young talent to eventually take over from Warren/ take Brace's spot. Talent here should free up out young LB's)

2a) (Carolina) Demarco Murray RB (RB Too good a talent to pass up here if he even drops this far but i think with the trade down we trade down to where we project him to go)

2b) (Trade) OLB Akeem Ayres (More talent for OLB)

2c) Rodney Hudson OG (or the C/G you believe is best even if mankins stays Neal isn't going to be back after next year)

Basically this is just a representation of covering our needs. DE, OLB, C/G, RB and WR but in reality i just hope they take the best talent at these possitions at the time they are picking

Excellent, excellent Arguments, sir. You've obviously considered all angles on this. :cool:

Philosophically, I'd prefer to hit Flanker ~ OLB, to you Earthlings ~ as WELL as the D Line...HOWEVER...

I get just GIDDY, imagining this D Line on Passing Downs:

* LE Jermaine Cunningham
* LT Vince Wilfork
* RT Drake Nevis
* RE Cameron Heyward

I love me some Flankers...But if the Front Wall is TERRIFYING enough, the rest of the D benefits IMMENSELY.

Well played, sir.

* LOVED the Block at :20. GREAT Take Down.
* GREAT Cut at :25
* WOW. The Quadruple cuts at about 1:10 were KILLER. :eek:

Kid's a BULL DOG. God knows he's got terrific BreakAway Speed ~ something I actually value very little ~ but what impresses me is the speed and explosiveness of his Cuts. And I particularly like watching a guy who can make a series of violent cuts on one play, such as on that Kick Off at 1:00. And he certainly show's a Scrapper's Tenacity, on several of those plays.

Yes, I place a fraction of the emphasis on Break Away speed that most folks do, and I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd Rounder on it, when it seems to me that you can get that in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and later rounds, each and every year, usually from small schools.

What I value ~ what I think wins Championships ~ are the guys with 10 Yards of Violence: Guys with low Centers of Gravity who Cut like a Scimitar, knock the first guy down, bust arm tackles, and Move The Chains.

...And who BLOCK.

And damned if DeMarco doesn't DO all that.

Seems that your guy...does it ALL.

RB DeMarco Murray ~ Oklahoma Sooners!! ~ 6.1/210

demarco-murray-rrs-2007-4.jpg

He is a solid player. Oklahoma's game today they passed almost the whole game (51 passing attempts) and didn't try running much (their O-line is pretty weak this year anyway) but he did get 125 all purpose yards and a TD (his 8th of the year already). OU is strange this year. They will run like crazy one game and all but abandon it the next, but regardless I got to watch him in the backfield blocking a lot and he was standing up linebackers in the holes, switching sides and picking up blitzers and coming out of the pocket and catching passes when the plays broke down. He is an amazing dual threat running catching. Something we could use with Faulk gone now.

I think he has a very good chance of going in the first round, and at that I would rather take lineman over him. If he is there early in the 2nd round I'd love to see the Pats make a move for him.

I've been reading reports from scouts who think he is better than Adrian Peterson. I don't think that for a second, except I DO think he is a better blocker, and better catching out of the backfield. On those two points it's not even close. As far as a pure runner and on aggression. No Adrian is insane. I loved watching him when he was here (was on the 50 yard line 3 rows up the game he broke his collarbone in Norman)

Last edited:
That is awesome Off The Grid!

Can you finish my rest of the draft ?

Thanks, Bro!! I'm having a BLAST!!

#1A DE Cameron Heyward ~ Ohio State BuckEyes!! ~ 6.5/285

76209091916_ohio_st_at_toledo.jpg

#1B DT Marvin Austin ~ North Carolina TarHeels!! ~ 6.3/310

marvinaustin1.jpg

#2A LG Orlando Franklin ~ Miami Hurricanes!! ~ 6.7/315

ncf_i_franklin_400.jpg

#2B OT Lee Ziemba ~ Auburn Tiggers!! ~ 6.6/320

leeziemba12toddvanjpg-61f3635de2b6ff10_large.jpg

#3 WR Terrence Toliver ~ LSU Tiggers!! ~ 6.4/205

terrance-toliverjpg-5290d405c33dd91e_large.jpg

#4A RB Roy Helu ~ Nebraska CornHuskers!! ~ 6.0/220

helu-jump-run.jpg

#4B DE Greg Romeus ~ Pittsburgh Panthers!! ~ 6.5/270

romeus-1.jpg

#5 C Kevin Kowalski ~ Toledo Mud Hens!! ~ 6.3/300

kevin%20kowalski.jpg

#6 QB Jeff Van Camp ~ Atlantic Owls!! ~ 6.5/215

fl-fau-1129d_80547c.jpg

#7 RB Richard Murphy ~ LSU Tiggers!! ~ 6.1/205

richard-murphyjpg-0fa7586a918091d1_large.jpg

As a Yankee, I gotta love the bargain shopping on Romeus, who was, of course, projected for the 1st Round, before his back injury.

#7 Richard Murphy RB ( good receiving RB from LSU , ring a bell?)

No, I don't WHO the Faulk you're talking about. Yowza, Yowza!!

*Editor's Note: I know it's the Toledo "Rockets", of course. GO, MUD HENS!!

I'm assuming raiders pick is 7 for the trade down to get the mid 2nd as well as this sorts out some good value.

1a) (Trade) Michael Floyd (Number 1 WR for the future when as moss may leave soon)

1b) Jarred Crick DE (Need young talent to eventually take over from Warren/ take Brace's spot. Talent here should free up out young LB's)

2a) (Carolina) Demarco Murray RB (RB Too good a talent to pass up here if he even drops this far but i think with the trade down we trade down to where we project him to go)

2b) (Trade) OLB Akeem Ayres (More talent for OLB)

2c) Rodney Hudson OG (or the C/G you believe is best even if mankins stays Neal isn't going to be back after next year)

Basically this is just a representation of covering our needs. DE, OLB, C/G, RB and WR but in reality i just hope they take the best talent at these possitions at the time they are picking

1A ~ WR Michael Floyd ~ Notre Dame Fighting Irish!! ~ 6.3/220

2863095514_93411a2b79.jpg

1B ~ DE Jared Crick ~ Nebraska HuskCorners!! ~ 6.6/285

4c52ef0b909aa.image.jpg

2A ~ RB DeMarco Murray ~ Oklahoma SOONERS!! ~ 6.1/215

ncf_a_murray_576.jpg

2B ~ RF Akeem Ayers ~ UCLA BROOOONS!! ~ 6.4/255

49643939.jpg

2C ~ OG Rod Hudson ~ Florida State Seminoles!! ~ 6.3/285

floridastate_rodney_hudson.jpg

A couple of you guys are getting greedy: parlaying that Oakland pick into a 1st and a 2nd!! I LIKE it!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back