PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 50 most influential people in sports business: #9 Robert Kraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamo

praedica numerum!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I heard about this a couple of days ago, just realized it had not been posted here. Guess people were too busy lobbying to get Sal Alosi added to the list :rolleyes:

Sports Business Journal makes a list of the most influential people in the sports business each year. This year Kraft's high profile regarding the CBA negotiations made him 8th in their judgement.

Robert Kraft has long been an influential owner, what with his three-time Super Bowl-winning New England Patriots and stints on the broadcast and labor committees. He is also incredibly connected in top social and political circles. Now, he appears to be positioning himself as the ownership vision of hope in the NFL labor talks, with his recent comments of optimism.

Other notables:
#1 Roger Goodell
#5 DeMaurice Smith
#10 Jerry Jones
#15 Jerry Richardson
#24 John Henry

Kraft among sport's most influential - Extra Points - Boston.com

The 50 most influential list, 1-10

How they stack up: (categorized)

And although they didn't say it, my guess is Kraft's getting the Brady extension done in a reasonable fashion has also helped his prestige.

Last edited:
If Sepp Blatter and Jacques Rogge aren't 1 and 2 the list is a complete waste of time.

What is this? A thread that isn't about the latest media member to accuse the Patriots of cheating or the Jets. This is all so confusing to me. :confused:

What is this? A thread that isn't about the latest media member to accuse the Patriots of cheating or the Jets. This is all so confusing to me. :confused:
Nah, this is a thread meant to spark outrage that Kraft isn't #1 on the list, we're being disrespected! ;)

If Sepp Blatter and Jacques Rogge aren't 1 and 2 the list is a complete waste of time.
#21 and #16, but last year Rogge was #1. Looks like they change positions around based partly on current issues, this year the NFL has prominence. Plus, there is some bias towards American sports (based on SBJ's readership I assume), they say "Rogge has solidified his position as the most influential figure in international sports".

Last edited:
nah, this is a thread meant to spark outrage that kraft isn't #1 on the list, we're being disrespected! ;)

bulletin board materialz.

As influential as Kraft may be, and as big as the NFL is, #9 seems a bit high to me. Same goes for Jerry Jones at #10. I think I would have put some more guys who are the CEO, Chairman, President, etc. of entire organizations ahead of team owners Kraft and Jones, even if they do take part in important and powerful NFL committees. Just my personal opinion.

You might have a point on Rogge, but I think the list is heavily driven by money generated for broadcast rights. The current NFL broadcast contract (2006 to 2011) is over $20b, or over $3b per year. By contrast, NBC paid a total of $2.2b for the 2012 and 2014 Olympics. Also, I don't think the Olympic movement has fully put its bribery scandals behind it.

FIFA won't be at the top of any list like this as long as its practices include the head-scratching awarding of the 2022 World Cup venue to Qatar, which will build and tear down a bunch of, presumably air-conditioned, stadiums for the occasion, leading many to wonder just how much cash Qatar deposited in how many FIFA-board related Swiss Bank accounts for the privilege. (ABC, ESPN and Univision paid, as far as we know, a total of $425million for World Cup and other FIFA Broadcast rights 2007 through 2014.)

Last edited:
As influential as Kraft may be, and as big as the NFL is, #9 seems a bit high to me. Same goes for Jerry Jones at #10. I think I would have put some more guys who are the CEO, Chairman, President, etc. of entire organizations ahead of team owners Kraft and Jones, even if they do take part in important and powerful NFL committees. Just my personal opinion.

As I posted above, it's all about the money. NFL Broadcast rights go for over $3b per year. Kraft and Jones are major players in shaping the status and image of the NFL.

Blatter definitetly, Rogge I'm not sure as number 2, but should be top 10.

And the fact that John Henry is #21 is kind of absurd when Kraft is 9. NESV does a lot more in sport as a whole than Kraft does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back