PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 50 – 2012 NFL Free Agents (Welker at 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want Eddie Royle. We don't need another 5'9 midget WR unless he has Desean Jackson elite speed/deep threat ability. I would much rather have a big physical ball hawk like vincent jackson

I don't want Eddie Royle. We don't need another 5'9 midget WR unless he has Desean Jackson elite speed/deep threat ability. I would much rather have a big physical ball hawk like vincent jackson

Royal would be like a younger, more explosive, and less injured Branch. While I don't have a problem with diversifying with a guy like Jackson San Diego isn't going to let him go.

I like Eddie Royle but what does he bring to the table that we don't already have? we don't need anymore midget possession WRs. We don't need anymore #2/3 WRs. What we need is a legite # 1 WR.

Last edited:
I like Eddie Royle but what does he bring to the table that we don't already have? we don't need anymore midget possession WRs. We don't need anymore #2/3 WRs. What we need is a legite # 1 WR.

It really depends on what Deion Branch has left in the tank by the end of the season. Also, I don't a #1 receiver, TFB is at his best when he's spreading the ball around and the opposing defenses don't know who to game plan for.

Welker is easily a top 10 free agent already. And he will be a top 5 free agent if he finishes the season at his current pace. Thats why Id like to see an extension done SOON. Preferably near or after the trade deadline.

Bears Considering Trading Matt Forte?

Just an idea but that`d be awesome if the pats got him for a 2nd rounder...

would never ever happen tho :(

I'd rather see what Ridley has first. He could be as good or better than Forte and a lot cheaper. Save that $$$ to resign Welker.

Last edited:
Welker still gets no respect. He's gotta be top 10 on this list. The man produces and is a GREAT locker room guy.

Vincent Jackson is or will be 29 and has still not yet been an unrestricted free agent?

Unfortunately he is going to be held up as an example for players to enter the draft early, or in some cases too early.

Mario Williams would be a welcome addition to the team.. And the Pats should have plenty of money to add him..

Re-signing Welker will be a priority. Branch, not so much..

The class of Safeties, in the draft, is looking pretty weak. Not sure what the Pats will do there. If there is a 6'0-6'2 CB who likes to support the run but is also good in coverage and knows how to tackle, I would look at a conversion project ala Eugene Wilson.

That would be the Jets nightmare.

That would be the Jets nightmare.
Willliams is a nice thought buy wildly unrealistic. There is no way that anyone is going to out bid Houston for his services. Just not going to happen. You'd have to VASTLY over pay just to be in the picture.....and the next time you see the Pats do that.....will be the first time.

No, looking now that list, I would avoid any offensive player unless I'm not going to resign Welker. If that unlikely occurrence happened then maybe I'd look at Vincent Jackson. His game vs the Pats was truly impressive. Right now an offensive skill player would just be overkill, and with our OL situation, I just don't see the need.

OTOH - On defense I see 3 guys we should definitely go after, signing 2 of them.

I would take one of these 2 - Laron Landry/Michael Griffen to give the safety slot a big boost and then grab Anthony Spencer to add to the OLB group

If Lee Boddin can't keep on the field or isn't deemed worthy, I'd look at Rasheed Mathis who is an excellent big CB who is experienced in playing in zone defenses as a replacement.

All the guys I've mentioned wouldn't break the bank, so we could get 2, or more if we let go some similar salaries

If I could handpick any 3?

Williams, Vincent Jackson, Tracy Porter.

If I was being realistic?

Cliff Avril,
Anthony Spencer,
Brandon Carr.

wow...brady and VJ, that would be some **** to see

i think we're planning on f tagging vj again though

but ya never know

anyone of Mario Williams Robert Mathis or Cliff Avril would be nice but the price for DE's now days is crazy the one guy that could help this defense without braking the bank IMO is Michael Griffin i good FS is with this team really needs

90% of those guys will be resigned, but it's still an odd list.

Wallace should be the top FA receiver. Robert Mathis at 5 is probably the worst one. John Abraham at 18 is pretty bad, too.

And the Patriots will sign how many - any - of them not currently on the Patriots?????? Right, ZERO..... :mad:

You should go be a Redskins fan.

Matt forte is an ideal back in this offense due to his ability in both the running and passing game. Him with Welker, gronk and AH on the field at once is a Nightmare for any defense.

That said i'd rather use the money to get Landry and use our draft to add talent to the front 7 on defense. Resign Welker and possibly branch and we'll avg 30 +/- 3 next year.

Last edited:
I think it is safe to assume that guys like Mario Williams will get the tag put on them.

However the Titans have an interesting dilemma, do they tag Finnegan or Griffin. If they tag Finnegan, I think Griffin should be a target of ours.

Of course a lot of teams are looking for safety help, so I doubt BB goes high enough with the bidding to get him, but he makes sense in our defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes