PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 5 talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that really caught my eye in the OSU/Michigan game was that Gholston dropped into coverage on several occasions and did not look lost.

Gholston played the run very well last week and he had an excellent game against a less than stellar ROT for Michigan, now you throw in coverage and depending on how he runs, he could be a legitimate prospect for our 3-4.

I saw Gholston on a couple of special teams as well.

PS: I saw him line up on Long's side 2 times. He got pressure the first time and got mauled the second time. After the mauling he never went back to Long's side.

The thing that really caught my eye in the OSU/Michigan game was that Gholston dropped into coverage on several occasions and did not look lost.

Gholston played the run very well last week and he had an excellent game against a less than stellar ROT for Michigan, now you throw in coverage and depending on how he runs, he could be a legitimate prospect for our 3-4.

PS: I saw him line up on Long's side 2 times. He got pressure the first time and got mauled the second time. After the mauling he never went back to Long's side.

He has experience as a LB, he moved to DE while at OSU. He has gotten better as the season progresses. IMO the most important skill for an OLB is the ability to get to the QB.

Colvin, Vrabel, Willie McG (all DEs in College) were all works in progress as pass defenders. The scheme doesn't call for them to follow a RB down the field, they simply drop into the short zone. This skill can be learned.

I like Gholston a lot, he is strong enough to hold the edge and is getting better. Harvey is a more pure pass rusher but doesn't look to be as stout.

I read Peter Kings MMQB tonight. He says that he called around the league asking talent evaluators about Chris Long, and some felt Long's best pos in the NFL would be OLB, I assume in a 3-4. Have you seen Long play? I haven't. Virginia is never on up here.

no. he plays in a 3-4 already..as a DE

Did you see him against Illinois? He was lackadaisical and stiff, and did nothing. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the truth is probably in the middle.

Last edited:
no. he plays in a 3-4 already..as a DE

Yeah, I know. I just found it interesting that some NFL talent evaluators have him pegged at OLB. I'm eager to watch him this weekend. What really intrigues me is that he's Howie's kid. Howie looks like a pretty boy, but he was a freaking psychopath on the field. If Chris is like that, it might not be a bad pick no matter where you play him.

Yeah I noticed they moved him around a lot. He owned that ROT. I think his stock will rise after workouts. But with Colvin, Vrabel and AD do we need an OLB with this draft pick? Besides BB could draft Saint-Dic from MSU in round 4 or 5.

Did you see him against Illinois? He was lackadaisical and stiff, and did nothing. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the truth is probably in the middle.

It's easier to game plan Michigan. That very well may have been the coaching that left him indesisive against a spread offense.

I think McFadden is very much going to be there at our pick #3-5. I don't think it is out of the question that they take him as Maroney has struggled. I'm not giving up on Maroney by any means but the present day NFL is a two back system anyway and McFadden is only a notch below Adrian Peterson in terms of talent. There is a perception nationally that an Arkansas running back doesn't have hands and comes from too simplistic an offense and while the latter is true, Darren McFadden has adequate hands. We need to shed the vision of what Cedric Cobbs was for us and realize this is an amazing player. That said, the potential trade offers could be very appealing particularly from Dallas. If I'm the Patriots I want the Cleveland pick likely to be in the teens and Roy Williams. Yes I know Roy Williams is bad in pass coverage but news flash, so is Rodney Harrison. These two have such a similar skill set and Roy would be the ideal player to fulfill Rodney's current role. Both players play along the line and let's face facts, Rodney won't be a staple for us too much longer. These moronic Dallas fans that think they are going to package a late teens pick and a late 20s if not #31 pick and get our pick are out of their mind.

Itll be McFadden, or trading down. Personally, I think they're trading down in almost any scenario.

I think McFadden is very much going to be there at our pick #3-5. I don't think it is out of the question that they take him as Maroney has struggled. I'm not giving up on Maroney by any means but the present day NFL is a two back system anyway and McFadden is only a notch below Adrian Peterson in terms of talent. There is a perception nationally that an Arkansas running back doesn't have hands and comes from too simplistic an offense and while the latter is true, Darren McFadden has adequate hands. We need to shed the vision of what Cedric Cobbs was for us and realize this is an amazing player. That said, the potential trade offers could be very appealing particularly from Dallas. If I'm the Patriots I want the Cleveland pick likely to be in the teens and Roy Williams. Yes I know Roy Williams is bad in pass coverage but news flash, so is Rodney Harrison. These two have such a similar skill set and Roy would be the ideal player to fulfill Rodney's current role. Both players play along the line and let's face facts, Rodney won't be a staple for us too much longer. These moronic Dallas fans that think they are going to package a late teens pick and a late 20s if not #31 pick and get our pick are out of their mind.

Not so sure DMAC there at 3. I think that's where we pick. Miami gets the top pick. Let's say G.Dorsey. I dont see Oakland winning many games. I think they pick 2nd and us 3rd. Good chance they take McFadden. They have their qb and a decent defense.

Not so sure DMAC there at 3. I think that's where we pick. Miami gets the top pick. Let's say G.Dorsey. I dont see Oakland winning many games. I think they pick 2nd and us 3rd. Good chance they take McFadden. They have their qb and a decent defense.

I can see the raiders taking McFadden. Were there a special WR there, they might go in that direction instead, but there isn't. Sweed is the highest ranked senior, but he's not going till much later.

I don't think it is out of the question that they take him as Maroney has struggled. I'm not giving up on Maroney by any means but the present day NFL is a two back system anyway and McFadden is only a notch below Adrian Peterson in terms of talent.

All this is true, but none of the notable NFL 2-Back systems of recent years feature 2 guys taken with first round picks in three years. They either feature a high pick teamed with a medium-low pick, or first round picks with one old guy and one young guy.

Jones/Barber
Taylor/Jones-Drew
Maroney/Morris
T. Jones/Benson
Rhodes/Addai
Barber/Jacobs

To have two RBs on first round contracts running concurrently would be unheard of.

Last edited:
I think McFadden is very much going to be there at our pick #3-5. I don't think it is out of the question that they take him as Maroney has struggled. I'm not giving up on Maroney by any means but the present day NFL is a two back system anyway and McFadden is only a notch below Adrian Peterson in terms of talent.

Here's my opinion, FWIW:

Let's just assume for the sake of argument that the Pats are disappointed in Maroney and think McFadden is a Pro Bowl talent. I still wouldn't dream of taking him in the top 5. In the current NFL game that privileges the passing game above all, with Tom Brady at QB, I would not spend $10 million/year on ANY running back.

C Long may not be the prototype for a Pats DE (6'3 300#) in the mold or Richard Seymour or Ty Warren. And he is certainly not in the mold of a Mike Vrabel or Rosie Colvin, who are 20# lighter than Chris is. But he is very much in the body shape of Jarvis Green which, as this season proves, is not all bad.

From the little I've seen of him, I would be surprised if he has the lateral agility to play in coverage on a TE or RB in our scheme as an OLB. I think the more likely fit is as DE in the 3-4 or 4-3... and that could still work for us.

McFadden is a legitimate proposition for us in the top-5. And I'm not intimidated by two first round contracts at the same position-- that's just a matter of accounting. I'm just not convinced that he's great value for the team.

Dorsey, on paper, is a very useful fit against our scheme and needs. He gives us a solid #2 at NT, and allows Seymour to play at DE when we're in a 4-3 base.

Jake Long is an elite player at a position where we already have an elite player... and where one is more than enough for any team. We already have credible depth with O'Callaghan and Kaczur in combo.

Frankly, I dont like any of them as great fits for the Pats, sufficient to be deserving of a top-5 pick. I think trading into the teens for a CB or LB makes the most sense. Mike Jenkins (S. Florida) is one guy who impressed me and should be worth a first rounder.

Jake Long is an elite player at a position where we already have an elite player... and where one is more than enough for any team. We already have credible depth with O'Callaghan and Kaczur in combo.

Frankly, I dont like any of them as great fits for the Pats, sufficient to be deserving of a top-5 pick. I think trading into the teens for a CB or LB makes the most sense. Mike Jenkins (S. Florida) is one guy who impressed me and should be worth a first rounder.

Matt Light is an elite player?

Matt Light is an elite player?

Yup. As proof ;)... he was chosen for the ESPN mid-season all-star team at LT.

Frankly, I think Mankins is the difference maker but, still, Light has been perfect in pass protection this season. He is the vocal leader of the OL... which may be the best in the NFL. Even the Colts, the only team to get any pass rush on the Pats so far, had their success exclusively on the right side of the line.

Suppose we did draft Jake... really, we cant do any better with him at the position than we have today. Zero sacks is zero sacks-- as good as it gets. Jake cant deliver negative sacks.

If you want to play Jake at RT... well, that's a possibility, but talk about a luxury pick! I'd rather take Chris Long as a game changing, second string DE.

Suppose we did draft Jake... really, we cant do any better with him at the position than we have today. Zero sacks is zero sacks-- as good as it gets. Jake cant deliver negative sacks.

If you want to play Jake at RT... well, that's a possibility, but talk about a luxury pick! I'd rather take Chris Long as a game changing, second string DE.

Let's not use sacks as the measure of our tackles. Light certainly looks improved in pass protection. He's allowed zero sacks, but Brady's certainly been hit. Light also seems to have regressed in the running game. He's seems much slower getting out to the second level. I like a tandem of Light and Long.

I do admit Long is a luxury pick. I think McFadden is a luxury pick, and one that is a bigger bust risk. Actually, anybody we draft this high is a luxury pick.

I do admit Long is a luxury pick. I think McFadden is a luxury pick, and one that is a bigger bust risk. Actually, anybody we draft this high is a luxury pick.

Well, that's the truth. Frankly, I'd rather take two late firsts than any one top-5 player. I dont see Randy Moss or Lawrence Taylor in this draft class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back