PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 5 Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Who do you think are the top 5 players on the Patriots? Make your choices based on importance to the team and overall skill.

1. Tom Brady- Most important player on the team. MVP
2. Wes Welker- One of the best receivers in the game today. Good YAC and can return kicks.
3. Vince Wilfork- Although he doesn't rack up a ton of sacks or tackles he is the most important player on the Defense.
4. Jerod Mayo- Has taken a huge step up from last year. Makes all the tackles and stops the run.
5. Devin McCourty- This guy is a rookie but he's become one of the most important players on the team. He's fast, physical, has good hands, has great coverage skills, and can actually tackle.

1 Brady
2. Wilfork
3. Mankins
4. Welker
5. Mayo
Mccourty just misses out at #6.

Who do you think are the top 5 players on the Patriots? Make your choices based on importance to the team and overall skill.

1. Tom Brady- Most important player on the team. MVP
2. Wes Welker- One of the best receivers in the game today. Good YAC and can return kicks.
3. Vince Wilfork- Although he doesn't rack up a ton of sacks or tackles he is the most important player on the Defense.
4. Jerod Mayo- Has taken a huge step up from last year. Makes all the tackles and stops the run.
5. Devin McCourty- This guy is a rookie but he's become one of the most important players on the team. He's fast, physical, has good hands, has great coverage skills, and can actually tackle.

No argument here. Next class of players, in no particular order: Branch, Chung, Gronkowski, Koppen, Light (frustrating at times, but overall very valuable), Mankins, Woodhead.

Honorable Mention, and definitely top-10 if you consider value for position: Mesko.

1 Brady
2. Wilfork
3. Mankins
4. Welker
5. Mayo
Mccourty just misses out at #6.

I was considering putting Mankins in my top 5 but we did fine most of the season without him. If we had lost Welker or Mayo, It would have been more of a disaster.

You guys are under-rating Sebastian Vollmer. He's probably the best RT in football. I'd put him behind Mankins. Probably, about 7th. He destroyed L.Woodley and R. Mathis in successive weeks. Shut down C. Avrial(not a bad player Turkey Day). He manhandled the Jets and Bears de too. Awesome the last few weeks. And, all season.

First five in order:

Brady
Wilfork
Welker
Mayo
Mankins

6-10, in no particular order

Light
McCourty
Meriweather
Branch
Sanders

I used skill as the primary evaluation, but I weighed importance to scheme/team and indispensability as modifiers.

Last edited:
1. Brady- This is self explanatory
2. Wilfork- How can you not put him here. If we move him to one side of the field, and they run the other way. He is one of the keys to this defense being decent against the run.
3. Welker- He has proved that even without Moss he is finding the holes in the defenses and sits down for Brady to lay the ball in his hands.
4. Meriweather- I feel like he the second best player on our defense. He does everything, he blitzes, he defends the pass, he tackles hard, and his sideline to sideline speed is unmatched on our defense.
5. Mankins- The offensive line captain. There is no need to debate whether or not we need to re-sign him in the off-season. Give him his money.

then 6-10
6. Vollmer- Amazing second year player. Another one of those gems in the pile of the draft. People were thinking that the pats were crazy for drafting him too early.
7. Mayo - The tackling leader of the team. How could you not have him being one of the best players on the team.
8. McCourty- I caution putting a rookie this high, but this season he definitely has shown that he has the potential to be the shut down corner that the pats have been missing since Samuel.
9. BJGE- You all might call me crazy for this, but without him getting solid yards on almost every carry, the passing game wouldn't be as dominate as it is. That is why is one of the top 10 patriots this season.
10. Gronk- This one was tough between Gronk and Hernandez, but I decided to put gronk here, because he does more then just get a lot of YAC. He is a superb blocker also and he has the danger of bumping off and catching a TD when we are on the 1.

But all around this team is doing very good for what we have, especially our patchwork Defensive Line. There are names on that line I have never heard of every week.

I wouldn't have Meriweather in my top 10, no matter top 5.

1. Brady
2. Wilfork
3. Welker
4. Mayo
5. McCourty
6. Mankins
Editors Note: 4 first round picks here...

7. Light
8. Gronkowski
9. Chung
10. Woodhead.

Just missed: Branch, Cunningham, Vollmer, Hernandez, Green-Ellis.

You guys are under-rating Sebastian Vollmer. He's probably the best RT in football. I'd put him behind Mankins. Probably, about 7th. He destroyed L.Woodley and R. Mathis in successive weeks. Shut down C. Avrial(not a bad player Turkey Day). He manhandled the Jets and Bears de too. Awesome the last few weeks. And, all season.

I agree 100%. His performance has been the best of all the second year players. Fins Wake is only rusher I know that's got by him for a sack. And he routinely moves the scrum for extra yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots