PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 5 favorite REGULAR season games of the Belichick Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Chargers at Pats - As many have said already, a very emotional game, I'll never forget the closing seconds with Bruschi hugging BB. It felt even better because LT had been running his mouth that week "If you're not cheating, you're not winning"

2007 Pats at Giants - Memorable for me because it was the first game I had watched with my dad in years[he lives in NC] My dad loves all the New York teams, and before the game asked me if I had any Pats gear to wear. He put aside his loyalty that day because he wanted us to have the perfect season. Not to mention that game had so many ups and downs, all the way up to the last play.

2007 Pats at Miami - My first time at a Pats game, enough said. [Pats are 2-0 when I'm there :D ]

2003 Buffalo at Pats - Lawyer Milloy Part 2. "Same score, that's how we do it."

2001 Colts at Pats - Brady's first start and we beat the Colts big.

The 2000/2001 regular season game vs the Rams is often overlooked particular because it ended up in a loss. However, history tells us that this was really a game that brought tremendous confidence to this young team seeking an identity and still wondering if they were for real. At that point the Rams offense was as good as any offense a patriot team had faced.

Also, the highlight package of this game really illustrates some of why BB is so valuable. "slants and in-cuts, that's the game!" I've never seen an coach breakdown a teams offense in under 10 words.

Overall, that game laid the ground work for the masterful gameplan in the superbowl and then later used to deal with the Colts high powered offenses to come

I have more favorites, but since it hasn't been mentioned much...

Patriots 23
Texans 20

Tied game heading into the fourth quarter that eventually went into overtime. Who would have thought that the Texans with backup QB Tony Banks would have made this such an exciting game?

A fantastic game for Kevin Faulk (188 all purpose yards) and a game where Bethel Johnson was actually our leading receiver. (5 catches for 65 yards and a TD)

Pats were down seven with 48 seconds left in regulation facing 4th and 1 at the Texans' four. Brady hooks up 4 yards with Graham for the game tying touchdown, eventually sending the game into OT. Texans won the coin toss and both teams had the ball three times in overtime.

Pats eventually win with a Vinatieri field goal with a little over four minutes left in overtime.

Last edited:
Somewhere on this list has to be the game against Houston, I think 04'. The one where Graham had the late TD to force OT. Underrated but good game, actually I think it was 03'.

2003, Nov 30: New England 38, Indianapolis 34

Who could forget this game? The fast track at Indy. The Pats jump ahead but it feels like only a matter of time before Indy will catch up. The biggest play of Bethel Johnson's career: a kick return TD to end the 1st half. Indy finally ties the game in the 4th but the Pats come back. The McGinest 'fake' injury. Then perhaps the best goal line stand in NE Patriots history to end the game.

Didn't see this one posted, but it's gotta be my favorite.

I'd have a hard time leaving the chargers 2007 game off there. After the hell the media put bb through that week, there was nothing better than going nuts for bb when they announced his name. The chants of bellichick! gave me goosebumps.

I'm with you on this one.

No offense, but that's just pathetic.

How is it pathetic that he felt a Super bowl esque jubilation after completing the first 16-0 regular season of all-time?

I'd have a hard time leaving the chargers 2007 game off there. After the hell the media put bb through that week, there was nothing better than going nuts for bb when they announced his name. The chants of bellichick! gave me goosebumps.

I never got to see that, anyone know of a Video or Youtube of this??

I somehow forgot about this one, it is certainly worthy of consideration as well: Pats-Jets 2nd meeting in 2001.

First meeting after the Mo Lewis-Drew Bledsoe collision.
Jets are in first place with a 7-3 record.
Pats are just starting to get in the picture after a 1-3 start, with a 6-5 record.
At halftime the Jets lead 13-0 and outgained the Pats 225 yards to 67. It could have been worse; the Jets had 12 1st downs and the Pats had 3.
First play of the second half?
Brady was sacked.

Pats adjusted to the Jets' pass rush in the second half with quicker passes. Pats 'bend-don't-break' (sound familiar?) held the Jets to FGs rather than TDs. Tipped passes resulted in INTs and Brady threw a crucial long pass to a guy even I don't remember.

The rest is history, but here's a look at it - from a NY perspective:
Jets Swagger Turns To Stagger

Nice call - that was a freaking awesome game. That was the week that I started feeling like the Pats were a contender, and I believe it kicked off a winning streak that we took into week 4 of the 2002 season.

My top 5:
2003: Pats 12 - Dolphins 0
The most fun I ever had watching football. This game was goofy as hell...the blizzard, AV kicking a FG over the goalpoast, the safety on Fiedler, Brooks Barnard, Brady's punt, Bruschi's interception and the snow throwing celebration. And the defense absolutely suffocated Miami.

2002: Pats 33 - @Bears 30
Down 23 late in the 3rd quarter and getting dominated on all fronts, Brady led the biggest comeback of his career. Patten just tiptoed the end zone for a huge TD catch late. For me this was the first game that I realized that Brady would be great.

2007: Pats 49 - @Dolphins 28
I hate the effing Dolphins. I have since I was chanting "squish the fish" as a 6 year old. Shamed the enemy in their own home. Brady and Moss pitched batting practice all day. I shut it off at 42-7 in the 2nd quarter and went out with a girl I was dating. It was a beautiful day. We made ham.

2003: Pats 26 - @Broncos 22
I hate the effing Broncos. I hated John Elway and I hated their stupid boy's pajamas looking uniforms. They tooled us every year. The intentional safety was the best in-game coaching move I have seen Belichick.

2005: Pats 23 - @Steelers 20
This game hurt so bad. The Hines field turf was at its worst. Rodney and Light were lost for the season, Faulk for a big part of it, and Biesel was starting at LB. The team didn't feel right, but Brady carried the team on his shoulders in the 4th and the defense gutted it out. AV ended it with a vintage kick for the win.

How is it pathetic that he felt a Super bowl esque jubilation after completing the first 16-0 regular season of all-time?

I think it's pathetic to feel "Super bowl esque" jubilation over any regular season game when there are three much more important games to go (of which, as it turned out, we only won two). But you and the OP can feel free to enjoy the 16-0 banner and a regular season win against the team who beat us in the Super Bowl.

I loved the 2004 opener against Indy when Vanderjagt made the "money" sign before missing the tying FG.

A few others I enjoyed were 01 against Indy (the David Patten show), The intentional safety Denver game, the '02 opener against the Steelers, the 03' Indy game (Willie with the 4th down stop), the '07 Steelers game, the snow game against Miami, and I'm sure many others I'm forgetting.

Patriots vs Bears 2002: Brady hits patten in the back of the end zone for the td after being down by 20+ in the 3rd quarter.

Last edited:
I have more favorites, but since it hasn't been mentioned much...

Patriots 23
Texans 20

Tied game heading into the fourth quarter that eventually went into overtime. Who would have thought that the Texans with backup QB Tony Banks would have made this such an exciting game?

A fantastic game for Kevin Faulk (188 all purpose yards) and a game where Bethel Johnson was actually our leading receiver. (5 catches for 65 yards and a TD)

Pats were down seven with 48 seconds left in regulation facing 4th and 1 at the Texans' four. Brady hooks up 4 yards with Graham for the game tying touchdown, eventually sending the game into OT. Texans won the coin toss and both teams had the ball three times in overtime.

Pats eventually win with a Vinatieri field goal with a little over four minutes left in overtime.

I still think that play was a bad play to call on that Fourth and One, but it WORKED!!!!!!

The play actually looked like it was doomed from the start. The Texans didn't fall for the play fake at all. I think the Pats were actually expecting Brady to be able to roll out and run for the first down (and possibly TD). Glad it worked out in the end.

Let's not forget that in OT Kennny Walter had one of his classic shanks. He punted the ball TO THE PATS 35 YD LINE!!!!!!!!!!! That's right, and the Pats STILL WON because the defense was actually able to push the Texans out of field goal territory. Great defensive stand that gets overlooked.

2002: Pats 33 - @Bears 30
Down 23 late in the 3rd quarter and getting dominated on all fronts, Brady led the biggest comeback of his career. Patten just tiptoed the end zone for a huge TD catch late. For me this was the first game that I realized that Brady would be great.

...and let's not forget that the game winning drive in this game ALMOST ended with a game winning interception by the Bears (one of their DL's), but Brady had enough sense to knock the ball out before the gaining total control. In Patriot-like fashion, the INT overturned via instant replay.

Another crazy thing from that drive is that the Pats ran a QB sneak that I still think came up short. Because the clock was still running, however, the Pats lined up over the ball and Brady spiked the ball before the refs could signal for a measurement. They blew the whistles too late, and in fact, gave the Pats an extra time out because they said that the spike did not count. Since the ball had already been moved though, they could not measure. In fact, the chain gang was already starting to move when teh Patriots lined up for the spike. There was nothing that could be done.

On another play in that drive, Bears defender Rosie Colvin got lazy and was caught 15 yards in the backfield when the Pats raced up to snap the ball to conserve time.

Crazy, crazy ending.

Let's not forget that in OT Kennny Walter had one of his classic shanks. He punted the ball TO THE PATS 35 YD LINE!!!!!!!!!!! That's right, and the Pats STILL WON because the defense was actually able to push the Texans out of field goal territory. Great defensive stand that gets overlooked.

Should have included that as well! :rofl:

Denver, with the intentional safety... just more proof of BB's wizardry. Always tough to travel there. Ballsy call. Play to win. Confidence to spare in the "D". Nothing to dislike about that one.

Suprised that '07 @ Baltimore wasn't mentioned. I remember my heart sank when that 4th down pass fell incomplete, same feeling I got on the 'tuck' play and this was a REGULAR season game. Them stopping us on 4th down a couple times all for not haha

I think it's pathetic to feel "Super bowl esque" jubilation over any regular season game when there are three much more important games to go (of which, as it turned out, we only won two). But you and the OP can feel free to enjoy the 16-0 banner and a regular season win against the team who beat us in the Super Bowl.

Way to be the turd in the punchbowl. Hope it makes you feel good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back