PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 100 Free Agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you would think that a large supply would keep the price relatively sane. Pats may see the same and not go overboard with an offer to Vollmer.

Ryan Clady, Broncos
Andre Smith, Bengals
Branden Albert, Chiefs
Phil Loadholt, Vikings
Jake Long, Dolphins
Gosder Cherilus, Lions
Sam Baker, Falcons
Jermon Bushrod, Saints
Will Beatty, Giants
Bryant McKinnie, Ravens

At the same time, if they were leaning towards re-signing him, you would think they would be pre-emptive and get the deal done quickly.

All it takes is one deal to get done by one of the lesser-weights, and the tackle market is in chaos the rest of the off-season.

I also hope that Bill inquires about coverage LBs such as #41 Daryl Smith, #70 Nick Barnett,
Thomas Howard, DeAndre Levy & Keith Rivers.

Malcolm Floyd. Big rangy, goes up the ball. Quality WR ........ gets injured though.

Jarius Byrd should be the #1 (Flacco and Clady are obvious Tags -with the shortage of Safeties). They released Wilson so I'd expect a Tag here as well.

Last edited:
I also hope that Bill inquires about coverage LBs such as #41 Daryl Smith, #70 Nick Barnett,
Thomas Howard, DeAndre Levy & Keith Rivers.

Daryl Smith isn't really a coverage LB. More of a block-shedding, tackling type. Keith Rivers is terrible. Nick Barnett is going downhill fast. Pass.

I would love to check out Levy and Howard though. Howard was damn good in 2011 and might come cheap after blowing out his knee. Levy isn't as good of a player, but he's played well for Detroit, and he's a young guy whose best ball is ahead of him.

There are 32 teams. I guess that we should expect/hope to sign about 3 of the top hundred available free agents. It seems that there are some teams who will likely get many more than their share because of the cap money they have available (e.g. the colts).

Personally, I think that we will likely lose any of our top free agents that are not signed by the day free agency opens. Obviously, That's OK if we are able to replace those that we lose with players of equal value to the team.

Malcolm Floyd. Big rangy, goes up the ball. Quality WR ........ gets injured though.

Malcolm Floyd is a free agent, but I'm pretty sure you're referring to his brother Malcom, who is not :D

Strange list.

Bowe at 6... LMAOOOOOOOOO!!
Kruger at 7... seriously overrating 9 good games
Michael Bennett and Michael Johnson... didn't realize these 2 were so highly thought of.
Darius Butler 73... BUYER BEWARE!
Josh Cribbs 91... Worthless.
Matt Moore should be 15 spots higher and Jason Campbell should not be in the top 140.

Malcolm Floyd is a free agent, but I'm pretty sure you're referring to his brother Malcom, who is not :D

You are confusing me, Sciz.

Malcom Floyd, the big 6'5" WR from San Diego IS the free agent that the list claims at #72, but in all acuality he really isn't a free agent at all. He was extended during the season of 2012.

72 Malcom Floyd WR
San Diego TBD Unrestricted

I was actually wondering why I didn't have him on my list in the other thread, but here he isn't a FA at all. The list is wrong in this regard.

Strange list.

Bowe at 6... LMAOOOOOOOOO!!
Kruger at 7... seriously overrating 9 good games
Michael Bennett and Michael Johnson... didn't realize these 2 were so highly thought of.
Darius Butler 73... BUYER BEWARE!
Josh Cribbs 91... Worthless.
Matt Moore should be 15 spots higher and Jason Campbell should not be in the top 140.

I was a bit surprised to see Anthony Spencer at #12 overall, and his teammate Butler LB at #47.

2 Cowboys that are ranked way too high in my opinion.

With the lack of cap space around the league, I would expect this list to change greatly over the next month. Lots of good players will become cap casualties and we could be in a decent position to take advantage. I personally would try to make quick decisions on our own players then wait out the market and look for great deals later on. I would re-sign Welker, look to tag and trade Vollmer (a couple of franchise tags and re-signings and this OT class could look mediocre pretty quickly), let Talib walk and look for a more cost effective replacement. Asomugha would be my #1 option if he does become available for a reasonable price. He might also be an option to move to safety.

If Dimitroff in Atlanta loses Sam Baker, does he target Vollmer?

Dorsey was a beast coming out of LSU a few years ago. He was not suited for a 3-4 DE, but could he be salvaged as a DT lining up next to Wilfork?

I've said a number if times I would love to take a shot at Dorsey, I think he is probably the best bet from a risk/reward standpoint. He should come cheap and at worst should be decent in a base DT role because he has proven to be stout against the run in the NFL. But if he still has some of that magic he had coming out of LSU where some analysts believed he was the best DT to enter the draft in a decade, he could be a steal.

just sign everyone from #52 to #59

that should help fill some needs

It Is What It Is » Free agent snapshot: Defensive lineman Mike DeVito

MIKE DeVITO
Position: Defensive lineman
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 305 pounds

Our take:
It’s hard to find someone with a bad word about DeVito — my “NFL Sunday” partner Matt Chathamplayed with him briefly in New York and raved about his skill level and how well he would mesh with the New England system. His versatility is impressive, as well as his willingness to see the bigger picture. (He took a cut in his base salary before the start of the 2012 season to help the Jets’ try to get some cap relief; he was able to make a chunk of it back by hitting playing-time incentives.) In 2010, the Patriots were able to swipe Danny Woodhead off the New York roster, and the running back went on to great success in New England. DeVito isn’t as an underrated presence as Woodhead was, but it appears he can bring the same sort of under-the-radar impact. Don’t break the bank for him, but he could be the sort of guy who could end up playing a lot of snaps in New England’s system if he signed with the Patriots.​

Last edited:
It Is What It Is » Free agent snapshot: Wide receiver Danny Amendola

DANNY AMENDOLA
Position: Wide receiver
Height: 5-foot-10
Weight: 186 pounds

Our take: It’s complicated. The similarities between Amendola and Welker are really quite something, but it’s important to know that if/when Amendola arrives in New England, you won’t necessarily get an instant 90-catch guy. While Amendola would have some previous working knowledge of the system based on his time with Josh McDaniels in St. Louis, it takes time to learn the scheme, and in addition, build that level of trust and confidence between the quarterback and receiver. (For what it’s worth, I would love to know Brady’s impact on the Welker contract negotiation — any quarterback in his mid-30s couldn’t be too enthused about possibly losing his most trusted and valuable target, as well as a good friend. I know Brady’s eyes are wide open, especially after losing pals like Lawyer Milloy and Deion Branch over the course of his career, but this is something else.)

The Patriots’ receiving corps is in a massive state of flux this offseason, and if they do decide it’s time to move on from Welker, Amendola would certainly offer a worthy facsimile. (That is, if they recuse themselves from the Percy Harvin Sweepstakes.) There’s no law saying you can’t have two slot receivers on the same team — if anyone can do it, it’s the Patriots. After all, they’ve managed to utilize two elite-level tight ends the last three seasons. But the addition of Amendola would mean Welker’s days in New England were numbered. In the end, if he’s available and you think Welker is done, then you have to have to make the move. While an Amendola-for-Welker switch would be consistent with the Patriots’ long-term vision for success (namely, cutting ties with a guy a year too early as opposed to a year too late), it would create short-term questions regarding the passing game that would have to be addressed, namely a belief that younger targets like Amendola, Julian Edelman (if he returns), Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez can steer clear of injury and stay on the field on a consistent basis.​

where is DRC...too lazy to look

somewhere around 50 id look at DRC, Desmond Bryant, George wilson, derek cox and then nnamdi asoumagua if he is cut

somewhere around 50 id look at DRC, Desmond Bryant, George wilson, derek cox and then nnamdi asoumagua if he is cut

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but just curious, is Rodgers-Cromartie more of a zone coverage guy or a man to man coverage guy?

they switched to man coverage this year and were zone last year. Man coverage was better for nnamdi so i think thats why is was so frustrating for the eagles this year but id still take a chance on him if he is cut

they switched to man coverage this year and were zone last year. Man coverage was better for nnamdi so i think thats why is was so frustrating for the eagles this year but id still take a chance on him if he is cut

I agree completely, and I definitely think that he'll be cut.

honestly i hope the eagles cut him id try and get him for a decent price because he can be so dominate i mean no one has been productive on that team recently and i think he could bounce back. He's a great guy as well if you havent watched his E60 watch it its all about how he grew up and how he helps kids in similar situations to him as a kid id love the signing and i think he'd fit into the patriots way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back