PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 Underpaid players!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker is criminally underpaid in terms of his productivity, but I'm highly sceptical if he'd produce similar figures elsewhere (perhaps Houston?). IIf he were to ask silly money, the Pats already have a replacement in Edelman.

Great thread. It's interesting that the Colts, Steelers, Saints and Pats figure prominently...something about a connection between being smart with your money and winning SB's.

Welker is criminally underpaid in terms of his productivity, but I'm highly sceptical if he'd produce similar figures elsewhere (perhaps Houston?). IIf he were to ask silly money, the Pats already have a replacement in Edelman.

I agree that Welker is underpaid, but I really don't know if he would be the same on another team.

Also, Edelman isn't Welker's replacement in anyway, he is a player of a similar style - not the same - who can also take the pressure of Brady when Welker is being covered tightly.

If Edelman was on any other team, would people compare him to Welker?

Frankly, Tom Brady should be on the list. Proportionate to what other elite QBs are making, he's been highly underpaid for several years.

I think I would have put Elvis Dumervil somewhere on that list of ten most underpaid players.

As pointed out above, interesting the correlation between the most consistently successful teams in the salary cap era and the number of players from those teams that made that list.

Frankly, Tom Brady should be on the list. Proportionate to what other elite QBs are making, he's been highly underpaid for several years.

good point

I agree that Welker is underpaid, but I really don't know if he would be the same on another team.

Also, Edelman isn't Welker's replacement in anyway, he is a player of a similar style - not the same - who can also take the pressure of Brady when Welker is being covered tightly.

If Edelman was on any other team, would people compare him to Welker?

I'd say so. But then again, I've always thought that Kevin Walter reminded me of Welker. A WR who dominates around scrimmage on short routes and owns CB2\3's.

Endleman is not Welker but is a Welker type receiver. Welker didn't develop into Welker for about 3 years.

Maybe Endleman can develop into a special player over the next couple of years. Right now he's a good backup for a player who is new to the position.

Even moreso proportionally given two of top ten overpaid players are QB's making 50% more than Brady on average. One of whom has never won a damn thing and is on his second team already... I think because his cap numbers through 2007 tended to be just above Peyton's by design, people forget his deal only totalled $60M over six seasons in his prime (after already winning 3 rings...) and he's making $8M per in the last two seasons of it...still in his prime. He's gonna average twice that and bank at least a couple of million more guaranteed than those clowns in his next deal and still be underpaid proportionally...

Endleman is not Welker but is a Welker type receiver. Welker didn't develop into Welker for about 3 years.

Maybe Endleman can develop into a special player over the next couple of years. Right now he's a good backup for a player who is new to the position.

They're both short, have great acceleration, and are melanin-deprived.

They're the same player. :p

Who is Endleman?

Revis should be up there. He's making about $20M/year less than he should be. :) <--- Because some people actually believe this

No surprise about Welker, though. Edelman is exceedingly good, but I don't think he would step in and mystically give the Pats the same production that Welker does.

Last edited:
Who is Endleman?

Edelman 2 ;)

Quite similar to JE, but couple of inches taller. Was a DT, and now playing WR in OTAs ;)

Last edited:
Brady played out his contract at this pay rate (<8mm in last 2 years), while inferior QBs like Eli and Big Ben are paid $15mm per. He could easily have asked to redo the contract to get his pay on par with $15mm+ per... but he did not. The thing that hurt him the most was the 2008 injury.

Even moreso proportionally given two of top ten overpaid players are QB's making 50% more than Brady on average. ... people forget his deal only totalled $60M over six seasons in his prime (after already winning 3 rings...) and he's making $8M per in the last two seasons of it...still in his prime. He's gonna average twice that and bank at least a couple of million more guaranteed than those clowns in his next deal and still be underpaid proportionally...

Brady played out his contract at this pay rate (<8mm in last 2 years), while inferior QBs like Eli and Big Ben are paid $15mm per. He could easily have asked to redo the contract to get his pay on par with $15mm+ per... but he did not. The thing that hurt him the most was the 2008 injury.

That certainly hurt him physically, but that didn't occur until week 1 of the season and he'd have gotten his new deal long before that hit had it not been for the expiring CBA. Once the owners opted out that spring, it made an interim extension extremely difficult if not effectively impossible. Would have increased Brady's cap hit, which was already high due to restructures, in a still capped environment.

While Brady certainly gave them a discount, his average in the first three years of this deal was a still respectable $12.5M (compared to Manning's $16M first 3 average and $14M overall average). It began to drop once 2008 arrived to $11.4M and then $10.7M in 2009 and now to $10M in 2010. Almost insulting comparatively speaking* even before inconsistent Eli set the new benchmark last season. The deal was clearly never intended to last beyond 2008 at the most. People forget it was the team who wanted an extension done in 2005, just three years into his previous 5 year interim deal under which he was averaging $6M...because with two more rings they couldn't afford not to get him locked up long term on the heels of the Manning deal and Vick's and Palmer's extensions in that same range. And something people should be mindful of because this deal has played out is when they sign him to his next deal *he's going to expect them to make up that several million dollar underpayment difference going forward. So while his next deal may not sound as team or cap friendly as his deals used to, it really still will be a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes