PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 most important Patriots for the 2012 season (AFTER Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most important Pats, in order of how much it would suck if we lost them to injury:

1. Gronkowski
2. Welker
3. Wilfork
4. Solder
5. Mayo
6. Hernandez
7. Spikes
8. Lloyd
9. Ninkovich
10. Dowling (I'm guessing he'll become our #1 CB)

-If any of 1-4 went down, that would be very bad. Having a bad back Vollmer at LT and an unproven Cannon at RT is a scary thought.

- I don't have Wilfork at #1 because what would happen, the defense would go from horrible to turrible? Maybe teams would run on us more :p

-I don't have either of the All-Pro guards on the list because Gallery/Connolly are starter quality backups at the position.

Last edited:
Our #31 2011 defense allowed the team to go far indeed.

Gronkowski's injury showed how important one player was on OFFENSE. Brady and Welker and THE PASS showed the importance of one executed play on OFFENSE. And Branch showed that we needed a more effective #2 wide receiver. One of the top 3 offenses in the nfl couldn't score 21 points.
I seriously doubt the team will go far into the playoffs if the defense has not improved at least to a point of being an average defense.

Lets not just go by 2011 and assume a high powered offense is all you need in 2012.

The top 6 seems right. Mankins will be there when it counts.

I disagree with Ridley, Spikes and Chung. I certainly expect Waters and Vollmer to be more important to the team. And yes, we do need a rookie to help the defense.

1) Vince Wilfork
2) Jerod Mayo
3) Rob Gronkowski
4) Wes Welker
5) Nate Solder
6) Logan Mankins
=======================
7) Waters
8) Vollmer
9) Lloyd
10) defensive rookie TBD
11) Connolly (honorable mention)

Boston.com wrote an article today and ranked the top 10 players that hold pieces of the puzzle that will decide the Patriots fate in 2012....Tom Brady was omitted as its pure foolish to put TB anywhere but on top.

The higher they rank,the more important they are to the team....

The rankings at Boston.com went as follows...

1) Vince Wilfork
2) Jerod Mayo
3) Rob Gronkowski
4) Wes Welker
5) Nate Solder
6) Logan Mankins
7) Stevan Ridley
8) Brandon Lloyd
9) Brandon Spikes
10)Patrick Chung

Do you agree with the order?,should a player be moved up or down or off the list?,is there someone else more deserving to crack the top 10?

IMO Numbers 1,2,3 are correct...I would put Ridley up to 4 and Welker at 5 because to have a complete offense and not one dementional,you are going to need a decent running game to make defenses think and Ridley could make or break that area.

I would put Mccourty at 6 since he needs to get back to his rookie year because there is a lack of depth there and Chung at 7 since the safety position was filled with different bodies a lot in 2011 and need stability there.

Mankins at 8,Spikes at 9 and Lloyd at 10 round it off for my top 10

I seriously doubt the team will go far into the playoffs if the defense has not improved at least to a point of being an average defense.

Lets not just go by 2011 and assume a high powered offense is all you need in 2012.

Obviously based on my OP I am with MG on this one.

If certain things on D dont fall into place then we are in a similar boat to last year which is to say its not the best way to get there but clearly it is possible.

If Certain things on offense fell apart I dont think there is enough on D to say that this team would still be a SB contender.

I am surprised that so many have Lloyd on their list. Here is a guy that has yet to play a single snap on an offense that was one of the top three last year. I see him as a luxury that can make the offense more efficient not a necessity. I have the list as follows:

1. Solder - If this kid doesn't step up the whole offense could be in trouble.
2. Gronk - He is an elite level player that changes the game.
3. McCourty - The secondary desperately needs to improve and McCourty is probably the most talented player back there that would need to step up.
4. Carter - Not on the team as of now, but they need someone that can present a consistent pass threat. With Andersen gone and if he isn't singed, this is going to fall to someone like Jones or Scott.
5. Wilfork - Another elite level player on defense. I have him a bit lower than most because of the position he plays.
6. Ridley - The running game plays a pivotal role in the red zone offense. If Ridley doesn't fill in BJGE shoes I think it will definitely effect our offense inside the 20 yard line.
7. Welker - Brady's most trusted receiver that gets the offense out of a lot of trouble.
8. Mayo - Needs to be the game changing player that we hope he can be.
9. Chung - Needs to be a consistent quarterback of the secondary if the defense is going to step it up.
10. Mankins - Is an elite level player and needs to be there for a line that is somewhat in transition.

Our #31 2011 defense allowed the team to go far indeed.

Gronkowski's injury showed how important one player was on OFFENSE. Brady and Welker and THE PASS showed the importance of one executed play on OFFENSE. And Branch showed that we needed a more effective #2 wide receiver. One of the top 3 offenses in the nfl couldn't score 21 points.

When the offense is slowed, it typically takes the defense to get off the field with quality field position yielded to the other side of the ball to help out. It also takes a defense to not allow the opposing quarterback to go 30-40 to make that happen.

1. Nate Solder
2. Logan Mankin
3. Dan Connely
4. Brian Waters
5. Sebastian Vollmer

The rest will work itself out, just like it always has. If Brady stays on his feet we'll win the AFCE no matter who plays offense or defense for us.

Last edited:
I think some people are confusing "Most important" with "most needed to step up." If you consider someone like Gronk a "sure thing" then that means he's probably on this list as him being a sure thing is an important aspect of the offense. Guys like Lloyd and Dowling who the team was a few plays from winning the SB without obviously aren't "most important" as the team was plenty successful without them.

1) Wilfork - the obvious #1. If he doesn't command the attention he gets, the entire front 7 will fall apart and they won't get any pressure. Meanwhile, it's been proven that BB can make the defense respectable as long as he does get great play from Wilfork.
2) Gronk - The most important skill position player on offense. We saw how congested the middle of the field gets in the superbowl when he's not keeping safeties honest shooting up the middle.
3) Welker - Like Gronk and Wilfork, they don't just rely on consistent play from him, they rely on spectacular, mistake free play from him.
4) Mankins - Others won't rank him this high, but with Light and possibly Waters gone, they'll need All-pro play and leadership from Mankins more than ever. Neither Connolly nor Koppen are anchoring the line any time soon, Solder will be in his first year at LT, and Vollmer will be coming off a horrible year. If Mankins has a down year, the line could really struggle.
5) McCourty - imo, McCourty playing well this year is more vital than anyone else in the secondary. They seem to get pummeled with injuries in the secondary every year, and the difference is a corner can fill in at safety a lot easier than the other way around.
6) Arrington - Was the best corner on the team last year and with McCourty needs to provide the secondary with two dependable corners given the lack of talent at safety. Most see him as the full time nickel this year and that's basically a starter in today's NFL.
7) Mayo - Reason he's not higher is, among other things, because they have depth at the position with a guy in Hightower who's capable of calling plays and "quarterbacking" the defense if you will. The main reason he's only #7 is the fact players like him are becoming more useless every year. The key to the defense is gonna be how well it does against the pass which Mayo is never gonna be a huge factor with. Obviously he's on the list because the whole run defense is built around funneling players in his direction knowing he'll make every play he's set up to make.
8) Solder - Don't have him higher because they don't need him to be THAT good right away. Brady can handle some edge pressure if the interior line does its job, they just need him to stay healthy and not be a liability.
9) Chung - Similar reason to Mayo as for why he's not higher...he's never gonna be a great cover safety and the safeties being able to cover better is what's needed. He's on this list because as young as he might be, he's the experienced member of the secondary who'll be needed for leadership and continuity at at least one safety position.
10) Ninkovich - No one else will agree with this, but right now, he's the most proven edge rusher they have. He came alive at the end of the year last year and needs to have an 8 sack season or so since they lost Anderson and Carter. I believe in Cunningham a lot more than anyone else, but neither he nor Jones can be expected to contribute a lot this year.

Unconventional list, but imo, those are the areas they need to show up. McCourty, Chung, and Arrington will all need to stay healthy and gel if the secondary is gonna become the asset it needs to be. Wilfork will be needed to anchor the front 7 and play like an animal with no proven force next to him on the D-line. Ninkovich needs to build on last season and provide a good amount of pressure regardless of what Jones/Cunningham/Fanene/etc. do.

On offense, Mankins and Solder need to basically anchor the line, with Mankins keeping the interior playing well and Solder protecting the edge enough so it doesn't get Brady forcing throws. Meanwhile Welker and Gronk are the two important parts to the passing game staying elite. That's pretty much a no-brainer.

Guys who I think shouldn't be on this list-
Any of the running backs - The fact there isn't a clear cut starter, it's a pass heavy offense that doesn't rely on a running game, and none of them are spectacular means none of them are needed in particular. If both Ridley and Vereen disappoint, then Addai can play a similar role here that he played in Indy as a guy who gets 3-4 YAC while also providing great blocking + catching.

Lloyd - If Gronk, Welker and Hernandez duplicate last year with Gronk's injury at the wrong time withstanding, Lloyd is a mere luxury and added element. As mentioned already, they were a healthy Gronk away from winning the SB without Lloyd. Lloyd might take the offense to an even better level, but it was plenty good without him and w/ a healthy Gronk.

Spikes - He's one-dimensional and that one dimension isn't important in the NFL right now. Hightower is more versatile and imo will start eating into Spikes' snaps pretty quickly. I like Spikes and think he's a good player, but defending the run isn't gonna be the decider for how far they go.

My two cents...

1. Nate Solder (to protect Brady and to open up the running game)
2. Devin McCourty (yes, we need pass defense help)
3. Vince Wilfork (anchor of the defense)
4. Rob Gronkowski (complete mismatch)
5. Brian Waters (can he hold up another year?)
6. Wes Welker (steady as she goes, mate)
7. Brandon Lloyd (can open up the offense incredibly)
8. Brandon Spikes (need to continue to see the evolution of this hit machine)
9. Stevan Ridley (gotta get that running game going; must not fumble)
10. Eugene Chung (need to stay healthy and take his game to the next level)

This post makes doesn't make sense to me. This team was one catch from winning the SB last year, and the offense has improved since then. How do you look at that and say "the defense needs to dramatically improve or else they'll do a whole lot worse than last year"?

Last edited:
While I agree with the support of Brady and the OL, I strongly believe that Gronkowski and Welker are also critical to the team's success. And I don't even want to consider a defense without Wilfork.

1. Nate Solder
2. Logan Mankin
3. Dan Connely
4. Brian Waters
5. Sebastian Vollmer

The rest will work itself out, just like it always has. If Brady stays on his feet we'll win the AFCE no matter who plays offense or defense for us.

Important in terms of what? How the performed last season or are we talking about players that need to step up for the team? If so you'd argue a first round pick like Chandler Jones paNning out would be a huge key to the team's success this season. Or are we predicting who are going to have the best seasons?

All this is is yet another pointless article written by someone who can't find a worth while enough story to write about...which just goes to show just how creative the Globe is!

Bring on the season so we can cut this pointless crap out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back