Welcome to PatsFans.com

top 10 Healthcare CEO's Salaries

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

FierceHealthcare reports the following top 10 CEO salaries for 2008.

* Ron Williams - Aetna - Total Compensation: $24,300,112.
    * H. Edward Hanway - CIGNA - Total Compensation: $12,236,740.
    * Angela Braly - WellPoint - Total Compensation: $9,844,212.
    * Dale Wolf - Coventry Health Care - Total Compensation: $9,047,469.
    * Michael Neidorff - Centene - Total Compensation: $8,774,483.
    * James Carlson - AMERIGROUP - Total Compensation: $5,292,546.
    * Michael McCallister - Humana - Total Compensation: $4,764,309.
    * Jay Gellert - Health Net - Total Compensation: $4,425,355.
    * Richard Barasch - Universal American - Total Compensation: $3,503,702.
    * Stephen Hemsley - UnitedHealth Group - Total Compensation: $3,241,042.

Health Care CEO Profits Looks Like

THESE peeps want to keep making millions, denying care, and not give you a choice. I'm sad that some of these CEOs only have $3+million salaries. I bet dudes like H. Edward Hanway are laughing it up in the lcoker room at the country club at peasants like ol' Stephen Hemsley, and his cheap bentley.......

I overheard that Barasch can only afford 7 houses...what a loser!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

You always throw out the buzzwords, "denying care", "not give you a choice" but I don't see it. I know you can google your way to some person who claims it to be true. But with average, at best, insurance, neither myself, family nor friends have ever had a problem with this. Little stuff we have to pay for and we have to pick a preferred provider - but BFD. We can always get the major stuff covered by a doctor we're happy with. All that stuff is crap. We have a hole, yes, of people working, or trying to work, who should be able to get basic insurance. But that's it. A hole not a systemic disaster.

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

There are plenty of cases I personally know of where coverage was denied, and people lost their lives. I need to go no further than googling my LIFE.

Now, for profit healthcare and I will never see eye to eye. Its like for profit education....its dumb.

These private carriers are robbing us blind, all the while playing penny pincher with the cost of getting sick.

Watch as these groups come out with attack ads on the new Universal coverage, but more than that. Pay attention to who is paying for the ads. and know this:

A government option will force these companies to actually compete for care, and cost. Something they haven't done in over 40 years. Check the inflated cost of private care, as opposed to the cost of medicare over the same time. They are not even comparable.

and last but not least......

if you like your private care....KEEP IT!!!!! nobody wants to take away your overpriced, over administrated care.

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

All we know if what we know - I don't know what you've seen and vice versa - but I'm good with the status quo. And, yes, that includes cancer, major car accidents, spinal surgery (for immediate family, not myself).

Public healthcare is basically "for profit". They don't make money but they have to control costs so the same decisions have to be made as if they are making money.

Doesn't work that way, I can't afford my insurance plus paying the extra taxes for crappy government healthcare.

5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

You will have the choice to keep your expensive coverage. Just like you have the choice to buy a luxury car, or box seats, or caviar. I ain't hating on your care, but its funny how you mention that you can't afford it.

Healthcare costs have risen twice as fast as the rate of inflation in the last 40 years.

as we've debated the cost of care will eclipse our entire budget in 40 years. So, we have two choices:

1. stick with the current system. be broke in 40 years. Keep Ron Williams in Aspen for the winters.
    2. Change the system. cover everyone, make the private carriers compete.

sounds like a no brainer.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

My big treat is NFL Sunday Ticket - seriously :)

I don't want to pay for my health insurance and yours. I'll pay for mine (only) and you pay for yours (only) - sound fair ? ;)

7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +553 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

PAH-LEEZ HD....tell us you don't support salary caps across the board in all professions. Even doctors should be able to "earn all they can". They deserve it. If you can't make the dough, you prolly don't deserve to! ;)

I pay $30/month for the best insurance I've ever had. I'd like it to remain that way and I should not be taxed on this benefit to pay for others unless everyone has their tax increased.

8. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh....sorry, I was unaware that these CEO's of insurance companies were doctors, and practicing medicine.....

my bad.

I wasn't aware that Rick Scott was just trying to make a living, spending $5million to fight a public option.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Richard_Scott

Maggie Mahar at the Century Foundation's Health Beat blog has written about Scott in her book, Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Healthcare Costs So Much. She reports that Scott previously started a for-profit hospital chain in 1987 that later became the $23 billion Columbia/HCA. He was ousted from this post in 1997 after:

the FBI swooped down on HCA hospitals in five states. Within weeks, three executives were indicted on charges of Medicare fraud, and the board had ousted Scott.
    The investigation revealed that the hospital chain had been bilking Medicare while simultaneously handing over kickbacks and perks to physicians who steered patients to its hospitals. ... The company did not fight the charges. In 2000, HCA (which by then had expunged ‚ÄúColumbia‚ÄĚ from its name) pleaded guilty to no fewer than 14 felonies. Over the next two years, it would pay a total of $1.7 billion in criminal and civil fines.[

9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +553 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I'll admit, I can definately see how "profit-motives" and health care are counter-productive and almost unethical. But we're never going to have a majority of people striving to become doctors just to "help people".

Doctors should make a lot in my op.

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I agree. This isn't about the salries of DOCTORS.

its about healthcare insurers

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

The irony of all this is HD seems to think health care will be BETTER when run by the government.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Find a way to fill the few holes, or we all suffer.

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its like a lot of things, as it stands its being run by greedy people looking to turn a profit by denial of coverage. Say what you will abhout if you believe it or not. But the decision to do this for profit by denial of coverage is ON TAPE, you can hear and read Nixon's decision.

History of the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program

OR

You can choose to diss all things government run, like your Military, Fire Department, Police, Parks and Recreation, Corps of engineers etc.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I don't do that but if we get government run health care, our quality will go down.

14. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

How can you be so sure?

The competition that all other Hospitals and healthcare providers in all other nations use to gain patients and funding is .....

QUALITY OF CARE!

say you have three options for healthacre, all with similar costs, there are three varrying degrees of quality of care, which one would your choose? The one that treats you best. Competition and regulation means that providers will have to compete for YOU as a customer. Where is your capitalistic "competition is good for the public" opinion on this?

thats why you get swftboating propaganda from the likes of Mr. Rick Scott, who wishes to scam the system, take your money and deny you coverage. Its not a secret, dudes company was fined and people went to jail. Yet ....There he is......producing BS to scare you, with no facts, and nothing to back it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tItAd_rzJ48

check him out for yourself...

15. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you must live in hell.........because I don't personally know a single instance of this..........maybe we're spoiled here in MA

errr......OK........even though its not overpriced (employees don't pay a dime) and have never been rejected for anything including 6 weeks worth of PT for back spasms, I think I will keep it, because anything anyone else might have to offer WILL BE WORSE

16. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Question:

do you know if your state has Universal coverage, or don't you?

the second part is 100% cool with almost everyone....except the insurer who currently holds your insurance.

if you have a spare 45 minutes or so...I really suggest watching this:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/

Might change your perspective on how we can learn from what works and what doesn't around the world.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Because of family in Canada and England.

18. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't know about universal coverage.....likely because the fact that I don't care since I haven't paid a dime for health insurance for 15 years.........you see, in my instance, any other possible solution will be worse for me than the one I currently have.........so why would I want anything else that will cost me more and give me less......for you???? screw that!!!!

as for the second part, do you think a government health plan will provide for this??? whether or not the insurer covers it depends upon the coverage the company is paying for, no?

19. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

EVERY canadian, and Brit who I've ever talked to has zero complaints. The wait is the same for surgery, and if its major...they operate on you straight away. The preventative care is top notch, and nobody is enslaved by their job because of healthcare. They are free.

Infact.....

again, I just asked my coworker ( Dual Brit-US citizen ) what heathcare is better....

he is still laughing at me as I type this.

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

How much does Tom Brady make? Robert Kraft? :confused2: